BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #1

Drives: BMW 135i 2008

help increaseing 135i 2008 Ride Height

So I've been doing a lot of searching but I've not been able to find anything about increasing ride height... and I need some help finding the best way to do it.

Just for context I live in Nairobi and just got a 2008 135i... wanted one for some time but was scared to bring one in due to the roads. Recently things have gotten a bit better so I decided to pull the trigger.

Now that its here, I'm finding that the bumps are the real issue... Generally I have been managing - different routes/going slowly but every once in a while it doesn't work and I'm slowly dying inside every time I hear a scrape.

So I want to increase the ride height by 1-2 inches. But I need some help to understand how to actually do it.

From my research I have found the following options;
1. Increase tire sizes (+1cm & $800). The stock tires are 215/40/18 and 245/35/18. I was thinking of going to 215/45/18 and 245/40/18. Based on my rough maths this would add around 1cm. What do you think of this? btw... this is on stock rims/shocks.
2. Spacers or donuts (+1-2cm & $?). Now I have seen a lot about these but cannot find a site that makes them... I saw something about BMW rough roads spacers, but cannot find anything more about it. Anyone know where I can get some good quality ones?
3. Coilovers (+1-2cm & +$1000). I'm not too sure about moving to coilovers but if its the only way to make sure I don't damage the car then fine... I would like height/comfort adjustable. What are the recommended make/model for something like this?

So I think I will start with the tires, then look at spacers. But if anyone has any advice on how to do this better it would be really appreciated.
Appreciate 0