BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Slow
as a mug...

Drives:

Unhappy Is The 135i Right For Me?

I'm having second thoughts about my order for the 135i (currently in production). I need your honest opinion guys. It's my first big investment.

When I went out to test drive cars, I jumped on a 335i and fell in love with it immediately. I drove it like I stole it (sales guy didn't come with me). But honestly, I would never drive like that if it was my car. Every other dealership I went to afterwards, I came in bias because my mind was already set on a BMW. Stupid me. Weeks later, I made a deposit for the 135i hearing that it's even funner to drive and like the styling better.
  • Is the 135i for me if I'm not big into racing?
  • Is this another car that everyone will 'rice' out? I'm all for sleepers.
  • Want a car to last at least 100,000 miles. Can BMWs do this at ease?
  • My other options are the IS350, TT, G37, C300, and Prius (Yes, the Prius)
  • As big of a fool as I will look, I can still get my deposit back right?
  • I listen to NPR on the road. Not to stereotype, heh, but it should sum up my driving.
  • I'm new to car buying. What else do you guys look for in a car?
I'm a fairly conservative driver... love sophisticated styling and luxurious interiors... knew exactly what I wanted in a car... until I test drove that darn BMW!

-Slow
      03-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
turbomg
Acquiring the taste.

Drives:

To be honest, it doesn't really sound like it. But that's a personality thing more than a requirements.

The car is going to be great no matter how you drive it, and there is a BMW specific quality that obviously appeals to you. But the 135 is a sporty car intended for sporty people. You may be more comfortable in something more relaxed and refined (like the MB, perhaps).

Then again, my usual technique is to make a list of all the pros and cons, then throw that list in the trash and buy what makes my heart beat faster.

I'm helpful, I know.
      03-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #3
vivid
Captain

Drives: 135i, 323i

Send a message via AIM to vivid
drive and like the styling better.
  • Is the 135i for me if I'm not big into racing?the car does not need to be raced... It is a sporty car and, I hope, will drive like it... as in it will be a firm ride, grip round corners and have acceleration when needed... does that make it a race car well yes and no; it will depend on how you drive it but it certainly could be
  • Is this another car that everyone will 'rice' out? I'm all for sleepers.On the whole BMWs don;t get riced out, but I would expect the 135i to have a large following of owners who will mod it, but most modded BMWs don;t look "riced out"
  • Want a car to last at least 100,000 miles. Can BMWs do this at ease?my E36 M3 got to 113k miles before I sold it and it was running great... No one can really speak for the engine, its been good so far but it is still fairly new... Turbo engines can have more up keep cost and shorter lives than NA engines but this engine is too new to know for sure
  • My other options are the IS350, TT, G37, C300, and Prius (Yes, the Prius)
  • As big of a fool as I will look, I can still get my deposit back right? Yes you can, they may try to make it hard for you but belive the law is on your side
  • I listen to NPR on the road. Not to stereotype, heh, but it should sum up my driving. from your test drive it sound like you have fun driving spirited too... 135i should be great for when you want to have some fun
  • I'm new to car buying. What else do you guys look for in a car?for me I look for fun to drive, some practically and a decent reputation for the manufacture

let me turn that last question back on you... list in order of importance what you would like in your next car?

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
vivid is offline   England
      03-09-2008, 12:15 AM   #4
Rotorhead
Private

Drives: 135i

Hey Slow,

If your not gonna race or stop light grand prix are not your thing, maybe you should consider the 128i. After all it still is quick, lower cost, not as much maintenance concerns without the twin turbos, but even so todays car are more reliable then ever. I plan on going to specialty shops and not the dealer when my warranty runs out to avoid being gouged. As far as being "riced out" I don't think that will happen to these cars because so few will be out there, the expense issue(they aren't cheap) and most of those kids stick to Honda civics do to the fact of part interchange with the Acura's. That's my 2 cents hope it helps!
      03-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Slow
as a mug...

Drives:

Thanks for all your input turbomg, Vivid, & Rotohead. To answer some of your questions:

Order of importance: Manual!!! > Fun > Styling > Reliability > MPG > Performance

I plan to own my next car for a long time. Never thought cars were good investments but still want something nice and classy years from now. I don't like the 128i styling as much as the 135i... but the cost of maintenance for twin turbos is making me reconsider. If a car had an awesome engine but looked ok... I wouldn't consider it. But if it looked awesome but had an ok engine... I would consider it. Being pulled over many times for speeding my first few years of driving has convinced me to drive conservatively.

I've narrowed my options to: BMW 135i or 128i, Audi TT, Audi A5, MB C300. You guys can bash on these all you want. I want to hear the dirt on these too.

Who's most reliable? BMW, Audi, or MB?
      03-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #6
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

BMW is without a doubt more reliable than the other Germans, besides Porsche.

Based on what you said, a 128i would suit you better, and a 328i probably better than that. It's bigger and more elegant.

A 128i is probably very nearly as fun to drive as a 135i if you don't like fast acceleration, provided you pick up the sport pack.
      03-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
atr_hugo
No longer moderate

Drives: SWB 335i

Slow - I don't look at either of these cars (the 128i or 135i) as 'race cars', if I wanted a race car I'd do what a buddy of mine has done and find an old Datsun 240Z and gut it and build it back up. I'm looking at the 1er because I want something small, relatively powerful, with OK mileage, that'll convey She Who Must Be Obeyed and myself on back roads in decent comfort and with sufficient verve.

I want to enjoy AZ Route 67, with it's synchronous switchbacks, as it wends its way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon; I want to be able cover endless miles of Blue Highways in the high plains in a car whose seats don't envelop, but rather, support me; I want a car that won't feel 'constrained' as we trundle around a courthouse square looking for the local watering hole in a verdant Iowa town.

I'm not, however, looking for a car that will improve my sex life, win the Indy 500, reduce my cholesterol, or make me handsome. There's no chance I'd be able to win the Indy 500 even with the right car. As for the handsome part, see my previous response re Indy . . . ; -)

I had a chance, thanks to Bryan at Motivemag, to do a quick drive of the 135i. It told me that the car can be driven slowly w/o it feeling constrained. It also told me, that while the absolute cornering limits may not be the same as the Miata, it'll still get me through the twisties with a grin on my face. (Here's the thread with my babbling: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=impressions )

I want the 135i over the 128i because of its 50-70 acceleration numbers. I spend a lot of time on two lane highways, prefer them, and the 50-70 times tell me how much exposure I have when passing other cars. The lower that number the safer I am. The other reason to go with the 135i in my case is because it'll spend time at altitude in the west. The turbocharged car will suffer less at altitude than the naturally aspirated 128i. Futher, the technology of the N54 engine fascinates me. 'Good dog food!', as a friend of mine says.

I looked at how I drive - where I drive - and who I travel with and after factoring all of that in I have found that the 135i will meet my needs. It's not the only car that'll do that, but it is the car that suits my needs with the fewest compromises.

Don't know if that helps, just my 2 cents.
atr_hugo is offline   No_Country
      03-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Slow
as a mug...

Drives:

I never thought about a Certified Pre-Owned Z4 until now.
  • Manual Transmission: Yes
  • Fun: From Z4 drifting videos... makes me smile everytime. Haven't driven one yet but I think I'll like it over the 335i.
  • Styling: Love it
  • Reliability: Certified Pre-Owned. From what I read, sounds like a good deal. What do you guys think about this?
  • MPG: Good enough for me
  • Performance: Faster than my old Camry... good enough for me.
I don't mind driving a used car if it was well taken care of. Overall best bang for the buck IMO. I'm young. Should use that extra saving and invest in a home. What do you guys think? And thanks again everybody!
      03-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
vivid
Captain

Drives: 135i, 323i

Send a message via AIM to vivid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post

Order of importance: Manual!!! > Fun > Styling > Reliability > MPG > Performance

I've narrowed my options to: BMW 135i or 128i, Audi TT, Audi A5, MB C300. You guys can bash on these all you want. I want to hear the dirt on these too.
Out of those cars the only one I would cross off is the MB C300... that car is heavy, only comes automatic and is not really considered a "sport" car... All of cars really meet all of your criteria... I would have to say go drive them all, you can't go wrong with any of them...

Current: 135i, 323i wagon.
Sold:GTI
Sold: FX45
Sold: E36 M3
vivid is offline   England
      03-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
UK135i
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

Youand i Vivid are on exactly the same wave lenght i completely agreed with everything on your post above earlier today - some very good points to the questions asked
      03-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
spudw
Major

Drives: 2009 128i

Slow, I'm not yet on the cusp of purchasing a 1er, but I've wrestled with whether I'll get a 135i or a 128i.

atr_hugo's rationale for the 135i is the best non-track-related rationale I've come across for the kind of performance a 135i will bring. I'd probably make the same choice were I a daily two-lane highway guy.

My driving needs are a bit different. Day to day, I spend more time on parkways and local roads, so passing speed is less of a priority for me. But I do appreciate nimble handling and would still want some decent grunt.

The 128i with sport package would be my choice were I buying right now. It has the suspension. It has a very credible engine. And it has on the whole the same look and feel of the 135i, save for some minor details.

Based on your priorities, I'd say the 128i with the sport package would be a really good fit, and you'd save a few thousand over a 135i.
      03-11-2008, 03:02 PM   #12
asv
Captain

Drives: 135i

A 328i is probably the car for you, its a great vehicle. The 135i is a performance oriented model.
      03-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #13
ulrichd
Colonel

Drives: 128i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
I never thought about a Certified Pre-Owned Z4 until now.
  • Manual Transmission: Yes
  • Fun: From Z4 drifting videos... makes me smile everytime. Haven't driven one yet but I think I'll like it over the 335i.
  • Styling: Love it
  • Reliability: Certified Pre-Owned. From what I read, sounds like a good deal. What do you guys think about this?
  • MPG: Good enough for me
  • Performance: Faster than my old Camry... good enough for me.
I don't mind driving a used car if it was well taken care of. Overall best bang for the buck IMO. I'm young. Should use that extra saving and invest in a home. What do you guys think? And thanks again everybody!
The Z4 Coupe with the sport package (18" wheels) is an interesting choice as it adds the utility of a small hatch. It's very rare as it was not a big sales hit (likely styling was too edgy for the top down cruiser crowd) and some good deals can be had. There is currently a great lease rate available from BMW. Downside for me would be the interior design and no ED pickup (built in US I think). I'll be in the market next spring and the Z4 Coupe and 135i will be my top choices.

Ulrich
ulrichd is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #14
WhiteOne
Major

Drives: 2008 AW 135i

Have you priced insurance? It could be substantial. The new Miata coupe is about $27,000 and the insurance is very reasonable. If I had 5 cars, the Miata would be one of them. Just a thought. YOMV
WhiteOne is offline   United_States
      03-11-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
spudw
Major

Drives: 2009 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOne View Post
Have you priced insurance? It could be substantial. The new Miata coupe is about $27,000 and the insurance is very reasonable. If I had 5 cars, the Miata would be one of them. Just a thought. YOMV
That's a big consideration when considering 135i vs. 128i, too...
      03-11-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
Spook
Bring Bail Money

Drives:

Dear Slow,
As you pull into Whole Foods in your Prius, you will get admiring looks from the cognescenti in their organic cotton shorts and fair trade pull overs. You'll look in satisfaction at the gas gauge that creeps ever so slowly to the right and you feel your footprint lightened to the point of feeling maybe you should be selling carbon credits. World class Toyota engineering will be a subtle background as you grasp the ergonomic door handle noting the easy egress from the perfectly form-follows-function vehicle. There is room in the back for your sensible and healthy groceries. You will be at peace with yourself and world.

Of course, if you keep waking up in the middle of the night with flashbacks to that 335 test drive, the veins in your temples throbbing to the beat of torque and horsepower in excessive glory, you might want to reconsider the 135. In red. With black leather.

-Spook
      03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #17
128er
Captain

Drives:

For me...this is my first BMW and I am not a conservative driver nor a crazy driver. I appreciate spirited driving like accelerating quickly and taking quick turns. Im going for the 128i. It sounds like if you are looking for a luxurious interior and kind of a boaring un-original ride, you should go for the Lexus IS350 or G37. This car is for the driving enthusiasts who will appreciate its one-of-a kind drive and very reliable and peppy engine. Unless you are looking for a fun to drive, quick, agile car that will keep you yearning for more...the 1 isn't for you.

End of Story...128er
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

03-11-2008, 06:11 PM   #18
E82tt6
Colonel

Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Dear Slow,
As you pull into Whole Foods in your Prius, you will get admiring looks from the cognescenti in their organic cotton shorts and fair trade pull overs. You'll look in satisfaction at the gas gauge that creeps ever so slowly to the right and you feel your footprint lightened to the point of feeling maybe you should be selling carbon credits. World class Toyota engineering will be a subtle background as you grasp the ergonomic door handle noting the easy egress from the perfectly form-follows-function vehicle. There is room in the back for your sensible and healthy groceries. You will be at peace with yourself and world.

Of course, if you keep waking up in the middle of the night with flashbacks to that 335 test drive, the veins in your temples throbbing to the beat of torque and horsepower in excessive glory, you might want to reconsider the 135. In red. With black leather.

-Spook
Beyond that, if you look at total energy cost, I'd bet that the Prius is actually a lot less "green" than a 128 or 135. It takes A LOT of energy to make that fancy hybrid motor, and it'd take nearly 500,000 miles of driving to make up the difference in the energy cost of producing it, vs a regular 4 cyl of comparable power.
      03-11-2008, 07:51 PM   #19
BMW Dreamer
Colonel

Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

I think the 328i sport would be for you. Quick, mid sized, classy, and handle nice. 328i Coupe that is. If I bought a sedan it would HAVE to be the 335i sedan with sport pkg. I love the 18" wheels on the 335i sport sedan pkg.
      03-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #20
Slow
as a mug...

Drives:

Wheww, thanks for all your input guys. Great forum.

Did more researching and test driving this weekend. 328i and 128i is probably the more practical thing to do, but my Home-Improvement-Aarg!-Aarg! brings me back to the 135i. The Z4's interior wasn't all that great.

My "She Who Must Be Obeyed" says to just get the dang 135i so I would stop wasting my time on this site and be more productive. I'm sure the opposite will happen.

135i FTW!
      03-11-2008, 10:33 PM   #21
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road

Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

She has no idea what she has just done.
Bringinthewolf is offline   Canada
      03-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #22
roadburn
Just a blur...

Drives: SGM 135i

>>I'm not, however, looking for a car that will improve my sex life, win the Indy 500, reduce my cholesterol, or make me handsome.

Just for the sake of argument, what's the name of this car again?

CXXXVi
roadburn is offline   United_States