BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-24-2008, 11:36 AM   #23
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
 
gargoyal's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Nobody should confuse talking about reality with a promotional agenda. Reality is that when driving a performance car, there are challenges at the red light and some sprinting here and there on the highways. It happens. I don't promote any of it, but I know darned well I've been challenged in my Carrera S countless times and on occassion I've engaged the situation.

Should we now censor the truth?
I'm not for censorship, but it really important that people understand how dumb it is to take even the occasional street challenge. I live in Cali like you, you need to look up the laws. If you are caught racing they will auction off your car. Worst yet, if someone die as a result of the race (even if its not you fault ) you WILL be charged with a felony. I assume that most people on this forum have a positive net worth that lawyers would love to sue for . Look at your auto insurance and umbrella insurance and there are ways for your insurer to limit their pay outs on a claim in the case of gross negligent (guess what racing is considered).
If the guy next to you in the Home Depot modded Civic loses control, dies and cause some decent property damage, guess what:

1) you lose your car
2) you go to jail and get a felony conviction
3) you get sued by the dead guy family
4) you get sued for the property damage

Be smart keep it on the track
gargoyal is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
InsaneSkippy's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida

Posts: 1,598
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
I'm 19 years old and even I don't think street racing is smart lol
__________________

InsaneSkippy is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #25
itr-tribute
Enlisted Member
 
itr-tribute's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Sorry if I insult anyone but I going to stick out like a sore thumb here for a second. ARES you completely have it right that laws should never be subjective.

For the rest of you who seem to think road racing is SOOO dangerous and that we need to wake up to reality, you need to take your Geritol, sell your car, and stay in bed. You are typical backwards Americans who considering driving a mere means of transportation. Guess what?!? You don’t solve dangerous things by making them illegal; you train the operator to perform them safely. It’s absolutely sickening to hear all these people tell you how “OMG speed = DEATH… end of story” Really then how does Germany still have drivers that are living? How does the rest of the world even stay alive when places like the United Kingdom have 60 mph speed limits on BACK ROADS? For everyone who thinks that going fast on public roads kills maybe you should evaluate YOUR OWN driving skills. Speed does not kill, poor driving does. If everyone had the same attitude you would not be driving you precious BMW. You would be driving the only car made available to the public by the only car manufacture in the world. It would get to 60 in 15 seconds (Because why would you need to be any faster right?). And 60mph would be the fastest you could ever go. You are kidding yourself buy buying a 135i and then claim you are going to obey all posted laws. WTF is the point of owning a performance car, sell it and buy a Honda Fit.
itr-tribute is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:11 PM   #26
YYZATC
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2007

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Here in Canada where I live.. if you are caught 50mph over the speed limit you get your license suspended and your car towed and demolished.. so answer is no racing here.. maybe a few red liners for fun but with no cars around =)
That would be 50kph which is about 31mph. I just drove back from NYC yesterday and averaged 90 mph. I drove by a number of state troopers going around 85mph (and slowing) never got pulled over. Since that was a 65 mph zone I couldn't imagine getting my car confiscated for doing about 95 mph. Half the traffic was going that fast. What a stupid law! Go Ontario government! Spend all your time passing these garbage laws while our economy is going down the toilet.
YYZATC is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #27
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

There is a reason why street racing is ILLEGAL. It's endangers the lives of other people driving, yourself, people walking on the street and so fourth. There's no such thing as "safe" street racing. You guys need to grow up and consider the danger you put everyone else in. You prove NOTHING when street racing other than the fact you are "cool." I just hope you don't hit and kill me when you lose control of your car at 100mph on the freeway.

Keep it on the track, that's is what it's for.
Mikebuzzsaw is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:19 PM   #28
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mistermojorizin's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyal View Post
I'm in SO. Cal, so with Irwindale , Fontana, Willow Springs, and countless autocross events I will only be racing legally. Get caught racing in CA and you lose your car and you are putting innocent bystanders at risk. Someone gets killed (even if its not you fault) and you are in a race and you can lose everything. Street racing is stupid and dangerous

That said I can’t wait to jump on Zs, g35s, g37s, and Supras at the track and strip. The WRX and the EVO should be our victim at the strip, but it will be fun to see how the 135 holds up at the track against them.
Can you tell me a little about the legal racing (not drag) in So. Cal.? What's the cheapest option? Which is most fun? Which strikes a good balance? Thanks
mistermojorizin is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:20 PM   #29
ARES45
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

Just to clarify, I am talking about just accelerating fast off of a light, not racing down the freeway at 100mph.

Has your M3 ever seen a 100mph off the track Mike? I think the cops should focus on larger crimes than speeding, but I guess that is what pays some of the bills, not a lot of income from actually catching real criminals.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
ARES45 is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #30
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
 
0002s's Avatar
 
Drives: Not a BMW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bunker

Posts: 822
iTrader: (0)

I won't race unless I'm on a track. It's not worth standing in front of a judge an explaining why BMW has to "represent" to the 94 Civic.
0002s is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #31
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

I never have gone beyond 80 off the track. Cali is too congested to go beyond 80 and I have no reason go ridiculous fast off the track. I understand that driver errors causes accidents.

But what if you are going 30+ over the speed limit on the open freeway @ night. For whatever reason there is an oil slick, mattress, or a raccoon on the freeway. You either dont see it or dont swerve in time because you are going so quick. Something happens, you spin and hit other cars. It's hard to drive fast safe when there is other external factors that will cause you to get to an accident.
Mikebuzzsaw is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #32
MastaMind
I like beer
 
Drives: AW 135
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under Pressure

Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (0)

I'm curious, out of the people that are advocating street racing, how many are parents?

Mikebuzzsaw, please take your sound logic and LEAVE! *points at door*
MastaMind is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:36 PM   #33
gargoyal
First Lieutenant
 
gargoyal's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 352
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr-tribute View Post
For everyone who thinks that going fast on public roads kills maybe you should evaluate YOUR OWN driving skills. Speed does not kill, poor driving does.
That’s why you don’t street race even in good conditions.

YOU DON”T KNOW THE GUY NEXT TO YOU.

You don’t know what his skills are or what shape his self modded piece-o-crap car is in. In most states you will be held liable for enabling the fool next to you.

If no one races the zit faced kid in the lawn-blower-for-a-supercharger-civic, the world will be a safer place
gargoyal is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
fe1rx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 135i, 1989 RX-7 Turbo II
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 233
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
You don't know you're driving too fast for conditions until you get in an accident.
Since most of us don't recognize this as a universal principle, I assume you are speaking only for yourself. There are advanced driving schools that can help with this problem.
fe1rx is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #35
ARES45
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

You're right, driver error causes accidents, but speed isn't a driver error. I think there are conditions where one can go 100+ on a road and be in danger of only hurting themselves (although not where you are from due to congestions). I don't recommend this action, especially if you are trying to race some one else. For me, I do much more dangerous things on a daily basis, so it is all relative. Maybe I should live more safe, but I weigh each risk I take and determine if is acceptable. I do my best not to endanger others and that is all I can do, I have yet to stop light race someone, but I may one day. I also enjoy spirited driving when possible, but that isn't really street racing in my opinion. I have never encountered 'Fast and Furious' type street racing and maybe that is a problem where some people live in which case I agree that is stupid, but having fun while driving is possible while just 'bending the law' and that is what me and my 135 will be doing.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
ARES45 is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #36
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I'm curious, out of the people that are advocating street racing, how many are parents?
LoL, I'm 20 in college. I think my mind is skewed because one of my close friend died street racing at UCI in his M3. I could've stopped him from street racing, but I didn't want to sound like a "parent." I now live my live in regret.

The road curved and the guy got too close to him and "pit maneuvered" him by accident. My friend's M3 flipped and he died 4 hrs later. Yes, that was drivers errors, but his life could have been saved if he opted out of street racing. In the end, if he survived and won.. what has he gained? A boosted ego? He gained nothing. RIP 2006.

Once you know or witness someone dying because of street racing, you open up your eyes. Be safe out there.
Mikebuzzsaw is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #37
tenxaday
Private First Class
 
tenxaday's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx2135i View Post
no comment on the street racing....

but i will mostly use the car for canyon runs, here in utah we have some great canyon roads, i just want to cruise up the canyon with all my windows down and the sunroof open listening to 311. Then when i get to the top ill take tons of pics!
hahaha ... i m with, i m at Kentucky though, so i drive country listening to my favorite band. 311.

Unity.
__________________
E90 335i Crimson Red
Powder Coat Black Staggered CSL 18'/ BMS Intake / AC Schnitzer ACS3 Front Lip (rep) /
tenxaday is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:44 PM   #38
itr-tribute
Enlisted Member
 
itr-tribute's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Yes Mike, Everyone is clearly street racing all around you and wrecking into your car. I’m sure you must have to pick out pieces of glass from you interior every day. It strange that someone who is telling people to “Grow up” is the same person with a very naive comment concerning it being “ILLEGAL”. Just FYI, just because something is legal or illegal does not make it right or wrong. No offense but anyone who blindly follows HUMAN law is ignorant. It was legal for some old lady to sue McDonalds for serving her hot coffee, that does not make it right. I’m sure I can safely say that any intelligent member would disregard such an argument merely because of some legality.

Oh and BTW what exactly do you think is being proven on the track… that you are cool? Now try to tell me deaths never happen on a track. So now what, nothing separating the motive and outcome of street and track racing. Guess you can’t use that anymore.




All this danger you talk about goes right back to You do Not fix problems with draconian laws, you train the drivers to perform safely. This common misconception of everything is dangerous so let’s make it illegal is what is wrong with America. Wrecking does not Magically hurt less in other countries, those governments came up with a REAL solution to the problem, making it not only safe to drive but also keeping higher speed limits.
itr-tribute is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #39
MastaMind
I like beer
 
Drives: AW 135
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under Pressure

Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebuzzsaw View Post
LoL, I'm 20 in college. I think my mind is skewed because one of my close friend died street racing at UCI in his M3. I could've stopped him from street racing, but I didn't want to sound like a "parent." I now live my live in regret.

The road curved and the guy got too close to him and "pit maneuvered" him by accident. My friend's M3 flipped and he died 4 hrs later. Yes, that was drivers errors, but his life could have been saved if he opted out of street racing. In the end, if he survived and won.. what has he gained? A boosted ego? He gained nothing. RIP 2006.

Be safe out there.
Sorry to hear about your friend. There are too many variables when driving aggresively on the street, regardless of how good the driver is.

Nice find on the M3--I read the details on Nasioc. Sounds like you'll keep the rubber side down.
MastaMind is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #40
larryn
Major General
 
Drives: '97 332ti, '10 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Seattle

Posts: 8,439
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
I'm not sure that promoting street racing on this forum is a good thing...
+1 Street racing is insanely dangerous, and kills many people each year, usually not the racers (who subject the victim's and their own families to unneeded pain). Save it for the track/autocross/drag strip of your choice, please.

These ares are very quick and fairly cheap. That's a very dangerous combination, as it makes them accessible to many inexperienced (in performance) drivers.

It's often said that the best performance mod you can do to your car is to enroll yourself in performance driving events by a reputable organization. I can't agree more. It's also pretty safe to say that we will not have a "Kill Stories" subforum here.
larryn is offline   United_States
0
      03-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #41
Mikebuzzsaw
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: Alpinewhite BMW e46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itr-tribute View Post
Yes Mike, Everyone is clearly street racing all around you and wrecking into your car. I’m sure you must have to pick out pieces of glass from you interior every day. It strange that someone who is telling people to “Grow up” is the same person with a very naive comment concerning it being “ILLEGAL”. Just FYI, just because something is legal or illegal does not make it right or wrong. No offense but anyone who blindly follows HUMAN law is ignorant. It was legal for some old lady to sue McDonalds for serving her hot coffee, that does not make it right. I’m sure I can safely say that any intelligent member would disregard such an argument merely because of some legality.

Oh and BTW what exactly do you think is being proven on the track… that you are cool? Now try to tell me deaths never happen on a track. So now what, nothing separating the motive and outcome of street and track racing. Guess you can’t use that anymore.




All this danger you talk about goes right back to You do Not fix problems with draconian laws, you train the drivers to perform safely. This common misconception of everything is dangerous so let’s make it illegal is what is wrong with America. Wrecking does not Magically hurt less in other countries, those governments came up with a REAL solution to the problem, making it not only safe to drive but also keeping higher speed limits.
You have every right to have your opinion. We just disagree.

Let me ask you this real quick before I go. Would you promote/discourage your son/daughter to street race? This is not to disprove your argument or anything, it's just a curious question.
Mikebuzzsaw is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #42
ARES45
Major
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Since most of us don't recognize this as a universal principle, I assume you are speaking only for yourself. There are advanced driving schools that can help with this problem.
That isn't necessarily a universal principle, but if you look at the logic behind it, it is simply the only way to define too fast for the conditions. If you go 150mph on snow, ice, and black ice and do not get in an accident, than how can you definitively say you were going to fast? That example is extreme, but it illustrates my point that it is just a number someone pulls out of their ass, or it is what they 'think' or 'feel' is too fast. I am sure it is defined as 'what a reasonable person blah blah blah, but that doesn't cut it for me. If the state says 55mph is the limit fine, if they want to post a lower limit with snow or ice on the ground even better, but dont give me some 'too fast for conditions' bs.

I am also against a seat belt law because few have ever flown out a window and killed someone not in the car. A person can flop around all over the inside and kill people if not buckled in, but that was the people in the car's responsibility not the responsibility of the state.

I always wear my seatbelt and advise my passengers to as well, but that doesn't mean it should be a law.
__________________
"Don't run, you'll only die tired" ~ Gunship Pilot
ARES45 is offline  
0
      03-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #43
1N54E92
Lieutenant Colonel
 
1N54E92's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i, 07 N54 E92 (Ret.)
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mid-Atlantic, USA

Posts: 1,864
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by white911 View Post
Only on the track. My whole purpose for selecting this car, once I put track insurance on it. I do 30-40 track days with the 911 per year and from time to time I drive it on the street. I have been challenged to all sorts of races on the street. One time at a light, a green Civic SI similar to mine pulled up next to me at the light and proceeded to race, he was only racing against himself; but it was quite impressive and I am sure that his car was a 10 second quarter mile car. I and the rest of the cars at the light watched him accelerate at speeds that we only dream of. My 911 has 343 bhp and weighs 2500 and he would have killed me in a straight up drag from a light.

I will test it on the track; but, not all other cars are what they seem.

Face it with our cars, we have nothing to gain by winning and a lot of face to loose by loosing.

Very nicely said !

:thumbup:
1N54E92 is offline   United_States
0
      03-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #44
itr-tribute
Enlisted Member
 
itr-tribute's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Fair enough Mike, generally speaking in most situations I would discourage my son/daughter to random irrational street racing. However if he or she was going to some back road with friends and doing 0-60 pulls or what not I would definitely not be opposed to this activity. In the same hand at that point in time my son/daughter would have been to a performance driving training and autox of some sort, take whatever you want from that.

P.s. sorry if I came off fanatical and extremist, just a touchy subject.
itr-tribute is offline  
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST