BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
crzy4135i
Major
crzy4135i's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Will the dealership change the oil more often if requested?

I plan on keeping the 135i for awhile and don't agree with changing the oil on any turbo car for 10k+ miles. I know the car has free maintenance but I plan on paying them to change the oil every 5k miles. Turbos and the related high temps are not as easy on oil. Do you think they'll give me a hard time.. or just take my money and do the oil changes?
__________________
Ordered 4/7/08, Delivered 5/15/08, Sold, but not forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
FairfaxM3
Private First Class
2
Rep
131
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

iTrader: (0)

They will, of course, do oil changes as often as you want--so long as you pay for them.

The only ones that will be free will be the scheduled ones, per the BMW schedule.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
BMWfan
New Member
South Africa
1
Rep
29
Posts

 
Drives: 125i Coupe (M Sport)
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Johannesburg

iTrader: (0)

They won't argue with you if you insist. You'll just end up paying for every 2nd oil change out of your own pocket. They still cover the big inspection I and II services.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 10:43 AM   #4
PA135i
Major
PA135i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,197
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Yes. They will change it if you want to get it changed early. I've been doing it for my current length of ownership on my 325. You can tell them not to reset the service interval indicator, but they wont anyway if its an eatly oil chnage.

I plan on getting one at 2000, 7000 then when the indicator hits zero. Of course I'll be paying for 2 of those changes. After that we'll see, maybe every 5000 or 7000.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Tom K.
Major General
Tom K.'s Avatar
United_States
54
Rep
5,411
Posts

 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I've been doing it with no problem. If you drive less than ca. 15k in a year, you will get a free oil change. If not, ask for an "Interim" oil change (ca. $100), not an "Oil Service (ca. $300).
With synthetic oil which is OEM in all BMWs, I have one change in between scheduled services and virtually never have to add oil between changes.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
crzy4135i
Major
crzy4135i's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
I've been doing it with no problem. If you drive less than ca. 15k in a year, you will get a free oil change. If not, ask for an "Interim" oil change (ca. $100), not an "Oil Service (ca. $300).
With synthetic oil which is OEM in all BMWs, I have one change in between scheduled services and virtually never have to add oil between changes.
Tom
So you're saying they'll change the oil due to time and not miles? I won't drive the car to work every day so I'll only end up driving around 10-12k/yr. I would change the oil myself but I want it on the official dealer service records.
__________________
Ordered 4/7/08, Delivered 5/15/08, Sold, but not forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
38
Rep
1,711
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California

iTrader: (3)

The dealership will change it more often if you pay for it. I do. I change mine every 7500 miles and it costs me $112 with my BMWCCA parts discount. I wholeheartedly agree, I am not gambling on a 15K oil change with thin fuel efficient oil on a sports sedan motor, driven like a sports car. The only way you will get a free 5K oil change is if you only drive 5K per year as BMW will change the oil at 15K or 1 year whichever comes first. They call it a low mileage change. Also, Castrol is recommended by BMW USA but I believe in Europe, BMW recommends Pento-Synth which you can find here in some places in the US. The make a long life Pento-Synth 5w-40 w which is what I would run in a 135i, not the US spec 5w-30.

IB
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
PA135i
Major
PA135i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,197
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

Just FWIW, whenever I had an oil change service performed at my dealership when it was due, it never reset to 15,000. Mine always read around 13,300 after a reset. So, cutting that in half might be OK for long term care. Unless you drive very aggressively.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
ichiban
Colonel
ichiban's Avatar
26
Rep
2,012
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

where can i obtain the oem bmw synthetic oil? I'm planning on doing the oil change myself, but i dont want to do it with mobil 1 synthetic and then have them use oem bmw synthetic during my scheduled maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
crzy4135i
Major
crzy4135i's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The dealership will change it more often if you pay for it. I do. I change mine every 7500 miles and it costs me $112 with my BMWCCA parts discount. I wholeheartedly agree, I am not gambling on a 15K oil change with thin fuel efficient oil on a sports sedan motor, driven like a sports car. The only way you will get a free 5K oil change is if you only drive 5K per year as BMW will change the oil at 15K or 1 year whichever comes first. They call it a low mileage change. Also, Castrol is recommended by BMW USA but I believe in Europe, BMW recommends Pento-Synth which you can find here in some places in the US. The make a long life Pento-Synth 5w-40 w which is what I would run in a 135i, not the US spec 5w-30.

IB
I run 5W40 Mobil 1 full synthetic turbo diesel truck oil in my S4. It meets the highest specs called for heavy duty diesel truck engines. That's what I'll use if I end up changing the oil myself.
__________________
Ordered 4/7/08, Delivered 5/15/08, Sold, but not forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
colonel1961
Rammer Jammer
6
Rep
411
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2007

iTrader: (0)

My experience over many years and BMWs is that they will change the oil and do anything else that is needed under the program - no charge, no hassle - and will occasionally throw in a freebie. If you are a repeat customer, they should do an interim oil change at least every other request. Just my experience and humble opinion...

They also do minor services such as adding wiper fluid or changing wiper blades - they get paid from BMW - so don't be bashful in telling them that your blades are streaking!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
crzy4135i
Major
crzy4135i's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,075
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel1961 View Post
My experience over many years and BMWs is that they will change the oil and do anything else that is needed under the program - no charge, no hassle - and will occasionally throw in a freebie. If you are a repeat customer, they should do an interim oil change at least every other request. Just my experience and humble opinion...

They also do minor services such as adding wiper fluid or changing wiper blades - they get paid from BMW - so don't be bashful in telling them that your blades are streaking!
Agreed! Our dealer has been nothing but helpful with our '06 325i. Every time she takes it in they are very nice about everything and give a loaner no problem, etc. We had the runflats replaced with 10k on the car due to sounding like snowtires. She had to pay around $350. I received a refund check in the mail a week later because, apparently, there was a recall on those bridgestone runflats.
__________________
Ordered 4/7/08, Delivered 5/15/08, Sold, but not forgotten.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Ty Vil
Captain
United_States
9
Rep
876
Posts

 
Drives: ///M4
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ (by way of Portland, OR)

iTrader: (0)

BMW NA will pay for oil changes as the service interval indicator requires them OR annually - which ever comes faster.

Any other oil service will be paid by the client.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:14 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST