BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
golfinaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i

Exclamation Rattles or Noises Anyone??

I will begin this by letting you know I am very OCD about nosies and rattles in my cars. I had an E90 sedan before my 135 and there was a noises that made me count down the days until I could dump it. Now I was all excited about my 1-er because it seemed to be tighter than a drum...until about 3 days ago. I seem to have developed a rattle or vibration coming from over my left shoulder when driving. I can't figure out if it's the seat belt mechanism, the plastic panel that mates up with the headliner, or the dreaded other. I am almost throwing my shoulder out, twisting it around to try and stifle the noise while driving since it only makes it when going over bumps or rough pavement. It seems worse when the car has sat all night, like the panels warm up during the day and expand a little so they don't rub.

My experience with these is that the dealer can never find the source or says they couldn't replicate the noise and then the car makes the noise again on my way home from the dealer. :iono:I am sick about this because it's only 2 weeks old and 35 months and 2 weeks is way to long to have to wait to get out of a car because of a ridiculously irritating noise.

Anyone with some thoughts to help my obsessiveness from taking over and ripping apart every interior panel tonight to find it!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
bimmerenvy
Rep
Drives:

Try therapy. Actually, I understand your pain - I have similar issues with my Acura TL. The car is almost noise free except for a rattle in the dome light, which I cannot fix. I think the solution is to get a crappy car that has lots of rattles and creaks so that none is more salient than the others. Would it be worth the trade-off?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
Barricade
Rep
Drives:

Lots of cars make noises. My mustang has a similiar rattle over my left shoulder. Turn up the volume on your favorite song, and you will be ok. Do you have a manual? Try seeing if there is a similar rattle at high and low rpms if you do.

I owned a 2004 Audi S4 before my Mustang and even it had weird noises I couldn't explain. That was about the most solidly built car on the planet at the time too. The dealer of course could never hear it. Alignment is my OCD thing. I hate when cars are out of alignment.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
jungcg
Rep
Drives:

i had a similar rattle on my 135 - it turned out to be the the seat beld clip banging against the little plastic thing on the seat where the belt comes out from. easy fix.
      04-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #5
knightps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

My LR3 makes a crazy amount of noise, though it does have 90K miles on it. The radio is the only thing that keeps me sane.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #6
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
A thread on this already exists 4 threads below:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5850

:
      12-28-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

that's why next time I buy a car I'll consider the best HI-FI system BMW offers:-)
      12-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
ryanpick
turboless
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

i feel like i should be able to ignore but i just can't. I have a rattle on the upper left dash. i can't pinpoint it or make it go away by applying pressure with my hand to the suspect areas. I just had my dash replaced because of the airbag indentation problem and i was hopeful it would also fix the rattle. It did! on the way home from the dealer but came back next time a drove it.

Between this and a spring noise i have coming from my clutch which the dealer has failed to fix in three tries(one time the it was fixed for 4 days, right now it is gone because i got annoyed and sprayed a bunch of wd-40 above the clutch pedal..temporary fix) my overall satisfaction has gone way down. I feel like i should be able to ignore it but i just can't and it drives me crazy. oh well. i don't feel like dealing with the dealership for a few months so i guess i'll crank up the volume.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
ruffstik
BMWCCA #403912
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Garage List
2008 135i  [9.50]
All the different rattles and ticks in this car are making me contemplate getting rid of it this spring....drives be bat shit crazy!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

My noise is from the center console. Over bumps, the main section that pivots up and down goes tap-tap-tap very lightly, apparently because there's nothing locking it down into place. It also quiets some as interior temp warms up. At any time, if I put a bit of downward pressure on it with my elbow, it will stop. I believe a couple of those sticky pieces of felt will do the trick - you know, the stuff you put on the bottom of chair legs etc to protect your hardwood flooring. They come in very small sizes. The plastic-to-felt interface should be better than plastic-to-plastic.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinaz View Post
I will begin this by letting you know I am very OCD about nosies and rattles in my cars. I had an E90 sedan before my 135 and there was a noises that made me count down the days until I could dump it. Now I was all excited about my 1-er because it seemed to be tighter than a drum...until about 3 days ago. I seem to have developed a rattle or vibration coming from over my left shoulder when driving. I can't figure out if it's the seat belt mechanism, the plastic panel that mates up with the headliner, or the dreaded other. I am almost throwing my shoulder out, twisting it around to try and stifle the noise while driving since it only makes it when going over bumps or rough pavement. It seems worse when the car has sat all night, like the panels warm up during the day and expand a little so they don't rub.

My experience with these is that the dealer can never find the source or says they couldn't replicate the noise and then the car makes the noise again on my way home from the dealer. :iono:I am sick about this because it's only 2 weeks old and 35 months and 2 weeks is way to long to have to wait to get out of a car because of a ridiculously irritating noise.

Anyone with some thoughts to help my obsessiveness from taking over and ripping apart every interior panel tonight to find it!!!
Suggestion - have a friend drive while you ride in the back seat. You may be able to identify the source of the noise pretty easily. Riding by yourself however, you may NEVER be able to, and may create more noise and aggravation by just ripping into things and guessing. Good luck!

EDIT: Oops, just noticed the original post was from 4/08! Oh well...
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
majorswoosh
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i MT

I'm partly glad to hear that I'm not the only one with CROCD (Car Rattle OCD). My wife will be pleased to know she's not the only spouse to have to hear about it. That being said - knowing that the dealer won't help, I'd appreciate anyone with tried-and-true DIY instructions and/or diagrams on how to shim the various plastic bits. I don't want to break anything else along the way!
      01-15-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffstik View Post
All the different rattles and ticks in this car are making me contemplate getting rid of it this spring....drives be bat shit crazy!
I'm getting rid of mine for the very same reason... new car on order... and it's definitely not a 1-series.

There's no way the service department could resolve all these issues. The squeaking windows, creaking a-pillars, creaking dash, creaking air vents, etc. This thing even makes creaking/clicking noises at a dead standstill.

I can't see paying what I'm paying every month for a complete and total rattle trap.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2010, 02:59 AM   #14
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

which bm series is rattle free. is the 3 series better than 1 in that area?
I can't see myself riding anything bigger than a 3 series coupé. the zed is a goo candidate too and i'm falling in love with it. but Zed is being reported as not rattle free specially due to the convert mechanism.
any suggestions?
      01-21-2010, 07:31 AM   #15
smpeck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Coupe (E92)

i think it's a crap shoot - my 2007 3 series coupe had one dash squeak that cropped up every once in a while, but aside from that was pretty silent.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2010, 12:57 PM   #16
MA128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128 Coupe 6MT

Garage List
2013 128 Coupe  [0.00]
7-month old 2009 128i with 12,000 miles has zero rattles (uh oh, now I've jinxed myself!)
      01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #17
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
I still have my e46 which I bought brand new in 2003. It has 160k and to this day I have not had a single rattle! They do not build them like they used to.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 05:21 PM   #18
808@702
8th BMW, 520th Surfboard
Rep
Drives: My girlfriends crazy!

I have a ticking noise coming from the passenger side C pillar. Anyone have this at this location?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #19
Misterted
Maniac with a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330 X-Drive

I am OCD about rattles also but I have come to expect that most cars do have some sort of rattle.
I have owned Porsches, BMW's, Audi's and have always had rattles and I haven't found a dealer good enough in my experience to eradicate them.
Audi doesn't cover interior rattles after 12K miles.

Anyway here are my rattles:

1> Center of dashboard somewhere near the vents there's a clicking sound.
2> both doors, this may be a convertible thing. It's where the glass meets the top.
3> The passenger seat....damn thing doesn't stop rattling.
4> When the top is down and I hit a bump the whole dash sounds like it's going to fall off.

Par for the course. I don't think I can remember a Mercedes that rattles but i need an manual transmission and The Benz boys don't offer any.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
Sk8fe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SGM 135i

Misery loves company as they say. My 09 135i's instrument cluster makes a LOUD popping sound -- something isn't secured between that and the rest of the dash it seems, but this only happens once in a while (have not been able to reproduce it as will to have local dealership service take a look at it). However, I have a click-click-click or tic-tic-tic sound somewhere in either the passenger-side seat belt area for the front or rear passenger that is absolutely driving me insane. If I accelerate and let of the gas I can produce it. It also happens when driving over bumps or rough road. Could it be something with the seat belt anchor mechanisms? Something else? Anyone have this rattle?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #21
pissedcustomer
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinaz View Post

I don't know if this applies to your car but it sounds like it might - here's the solution I found:

This seems to be a very common problem with 3-series BMW's. Check out my post and the responses here: http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/show...ht=fixed+noise

Here's the solution:
I had to resort to contacting the President of BMW to finally fix the annoying noise at the back of my BMW. This was after taking my car to the BMW dealership four times over a two-year period to try fix the noise - which they never did.

I am convinced that this noise in the back of car is widespread among BMW 3-series cars (E90). I have now heard it in four different 3-series BMWs and I was told by a BMW representative that they have had other people complain about the same issue. I have a formal BMW Field Report with pictures explaining what was causing this noise and how technicians should fix it.

Ever since taking possession of my 2009 328i BMW (E90) there has been an annoying intermittent clicking or ticking noise that seemed to be coming from the rear window area, near the top of the seat, or where the rear window meets the rear parcel shelf. I finally complained to the CEO of BMW in Germany, Norbert Reithofer, BMW Canada President Franz Jung, and BMW Canada Director of Aftersales, Stephan Kuester. BMW head office assigned an expert technician who identified the problem and fixed it.

It was necessary to get BMW head office involved since their dealer service was a nightmare - apparently incompetent, rude, patronizing and they didn't seem to care less about putting the time and effort into resolving the problem. Their typical M.O. was to claim they couldn't hear the noise, even though on a couple occasions I was in the car with them when they heard the noise. This seems to be the Modus Operandi at BMW when they cannot or do not want to resolve a noise - just deny hearing it. On two occasion when I went to pick up my car they said they didn't have time to have a proper look at it because they had too many cars to service and they ran out of time...even though I had scheduled a service 2 weeks in advance.

I was so furious at one point that I called the owner of the BMW dealership to discuss it with him. He sort of chuckled when I told him about the extremely poor service and rude BMW service representatives and manager. He said that noises are incredibly difficult to resolve and it was a waste of time to try more than once. He never apologized and his manager actually said that if I am not satisfied I should probably get my car serviced elsewhere. Unbelievable.

If you have the same problem please let me know.
You can download the BMW Field Report at this link: http://complaint.pro/bLaCBB
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #22
pissedcustomer
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808@702 View Post
I have a ticking noise coming from the passenger side C pillar. Anyone have this at this location?
You might want to read my post above about a clicking noise in the back of the car. You can find a resolution at the link at the bottom of my post.

Does anyone else have this clicking noise in their 1-series? It affects the 3-series but I'm not sure yet about the 1-series.
Appreciate 0