BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #45
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I don't know why everyone is so upset... This doesn't really change anything.

It may take Dinan some serious bribery to get the codes for the new ECU, but they had to do that with the old one anyways.

Nothing has changed.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 10:44 PM   #46
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by E82TT6 View Post

It may take Dinan some serious bribery to get the codes for the new ECU, but they had to do that with the old one anyways.

Nothing has changed.
Sure it has. The old tune is now no good. That means that all the development time and money that went into it has to be spread out over a smaller number of cars.

Now they've got to start over with a lot of the stuff, and that raises the cost for all of us.

Not only that, by the sound of this, the new system will know if it's been tuned or not, and will give BMW the evidence it needs to void your warranty. They couldn't do that so easily with the old ECU, and that will discourage a lot of people from tuning the cars, which is their goal.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #47
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Quote:

Nothing has changed.
Yes, it has. BMW NA and Dinan were once partners, and now that they are not, Dinan products are not supported by BMW. If you have a Dinan ECU past that date, you will your powertrain warranty. This is different than before, where BMW would still work on the car, even if it wasn't a certified Dinan dealership.
      04-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #48
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 997 C2

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
While many of you are disappointed, BMW's strategy is going according to plan.

BMW cuts ties with US tuner "Dinan" late last year.

BMW has not made claims of not coming out with ECU software. So there is a good possibility BMW will come out with some tuning after extensive research. And since it's BMW, 1) it will be a while and 2) numbers will claim low

BMW claims low and conservative numbers because they don't want to promise something that cannot deliver. For example, an E46 Performance Intake promises 3hp gain, when it gave an E46fanatic nearly 10hp on a before/after dyno test.
That would be nice. :thumbup: Think they could come close to the 84 hp bump or would that threaten the ///M 3 too much?

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 12:25 AM   #49
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan@UnitedBMW View Post
Yes, it has. BMW NA and Dinan were once partners, and now that they are not, Dinan products are not supported by BMW. If you have a Dinan ECU past that date, you will your powertrain warranty. This is different than before, where BMW would still work on the car, even if it wasn't a certified Dinan dealership.
BMW NA and Dinan haven't been partners in over a YEAR.

It was always easy to know that the car had been flashed, and it always voided your power-train warranty.

BMW will still work on the car. They won't cover stuff Dinan broke under their warranty. This is nothing new, and this is one of the drawbacks people brought up of the Dinan tune before. BMW and Dinan got into warranty "spats" before this, arguing over who had to cover a part.

To be clear:

-Dinan ALWAYS voided your BMW warranty.

-Dinan and BMW haven't been playing on the same team since before the 335i came out.

-A non-Dinan BMW Dealer would NEVER honor Dinan's warranty.

-BMW ALWAYS knew if the car had been tuned by Dinan. Simply plugging it into a BMW computer lets you know that the ECU has been reflashed.

-BMW did not support Dinan's last tune, they stole or bribed their way into the last ECU, and will have to do the same with this one. R&D cost is non-existant, since they already have the tune. They just have to bribe/steal the way to get into it to install their tune.

-If it's that big of a deal, install an SSTT. It makes just as much
power as Dinan, costs 1/8th as much, and is completely undetectable.

This doesn't change anything, except that those who want Dinan instead of one of the piggys will have to wait a couple months.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 02:00 AM   #50
baduncadonk
Former 2002tii Owner
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

This post had lots of interesting perspective.

I was just about to order the SSTT yesterday, because my car's build date is 4/12/08. But then, I read that the revised, post-March '08 ECU has the ability to detect electronic mods.

Are you absolutely sure that there is no way for the revised ECU to detect the presence of the SSTT mod at some point?

Thanks for considering!

RIP: '08 BMW 135i -- Vishnu, Riss intake, H&R sways, KW Variant 2 coilovers, Sprintbooster, Riss Racing catted downpipes, BMW Performance exhaust, tii wheels, cross-drilled rotors, M door sills, 8500K Angel Eyes, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 06:19 AM   #51
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
PLease forgive my noobie question, but what is an SSTT?

And how does it work?

Thanks!

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 07:59 AM   #52
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

u know what.....F** it...I'm still gonna get the dinan flash, warranty or no warranty.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #53
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [8.50]
2005 M3  [9.66]
2005 325i  [8.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [9.00]
Quote:
BMW NA and Dinan haven't been partners in over a YEAR.

It was always easy to know that the car had been flashed, and it always voided your power-train warranty.

BMW will still work on the car. They won't cover stuff Dinan broke under their warranty. This is nothing new, and this is one of the drawbacks people brought up of the Dinan tune before. BMW and Dinan got into warranty "spats" before this, arguing over who had to cover a part.

To be clear:

-Dinan ALWAYS voided your BMW warranty.

-Dinan and BMW haven't been playing on the same team since before the 335i came out.

-A non-Dinan BMW Dealer would NEVER honor Dinan's warranty.

-BMW ALWAYS knew if the car had been tuned by Dinan. Simply plugging it into a BMW computer lets you know that the ECU has been reflashed.

-BMW did not support Dinan's last tune, they stole or bribed their way into the last ECU, and will have to do the same with this one. R&D cost is non-existant, since they already have the tune. They just have to bribe/steal the way to get into it to install their tune.

This doesn't change anything, except that those who want Dinan instead of one of the piggys will have to wait a couple months.
Yes it would always void, but Dinan would pick up where BMW left off. I am hearing from Dinan BMW dealerships now that BMW won't even work on "dinan tuned" cars. It could be this one dealership, it could be all of them.
      04-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #54
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5soko View Post
SSTT= Split Second Turbo Tuner

the SSTT works for the new V81 for the 135i, there isnt any issues. the SSTT works off of the T-MAP sensor and not directly in the ECU with wires. it is a true plug and play system, here is a 135i dyno with the SSTT and the new ecu in which it is working fine with.

BimmerPost - BMW Forums - View Single Post - new BMW factory ECU code may detect piggybacks/tunes

like i mentioned, Vishnu will be and im sure are working on a fix within the next month for the new update.

im gonna agree with E82tt6 as this isnt gonna change much, maybe the hardest hit is for dinan, but they are claiming they have a fix coming within the next month of two aswell. all other tunning manufactures are already working on a fix that claim will be undetecable and will work.

Thanks so much for the info!

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #55
DarrenJ
Private
Rep
Drives: AW E92

from my understanding bmw and dinan never has "ties" to one another. They had a verbal understanding after a law suit of dinan suing bmw over voiding warranty claims. They came to an agreement bmw would take care of items not caused by dinan products and if the failure was a result of a dinan product, dinan would take care of it. Either way the "customer had no bill. On top of it all this all changes dealer to dealer. For example my 07 c6 which is highly modified with a supercharger, methanol, full exhaust and fuel system upgrades, my dealer has never turned me down for a warranty claim on the car, but they are a dealer who deals with lots of this type stuff and lots of corvettes. Will they replace my blower if it fails or causes failure? No of course not and I dont expect them to. Personally If your going to use dinan products and still use a dealer for service. Make sure that dealer is a Dinan approved dealer. You should have no problems then on warranty items. But to some it up BMW and DINAN have NEVER been "Partners" I dont know where you have come up with this??
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 10:21 AM   #56
lacrosse
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
My dealer, Habberstad of Huntington, Long Island is an authorized Dinan installer. The only one for at least 50 miles or so I am told. Looks like another conversation is in order.

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 11:08 AM   #57
White Lightning
Internet Jester
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
Was anyone buying the 135i strictly with the intention to mod it and now wanting to dump the car and move onto something that may be a bit more, ahem, tuner friendly?
Well I did choose this one over others because of what the #'s looked like after modding. $$ spent per HP was better than my previous car. I had almost 600HP out of my last car and it started with only 240. It was very expensive to mod, but I had to add a turbo system and a lot of other things that this car already has. So I figured, I spent more upfront for this car, but will spend less in the long run after mods. Now I am worried about the warranty though, only to the point that even though I completely built up my last car and still received warranty work. As long as the issues that caused my car to need work done by the dealer weren't a direct result of the mods they would warranty it. Is BMW the same way, it seems they aren't based on the possible power train comments in this thread. I am pretty much asking if I am having trouble with my trunk lid or bumper becoming misaligned will BMW say, added HP via Dinan (no way)?

This is not what I thought the case was when I placed my order. Last question (I guess I need to contact the dealer, but maybe you all can help as well), if something needed to be repaired and it was determined that Dinan would be covering the costs how does that happen? Do I pay for all repairs and sent a bill to Dinan, or does BMW simply do the repairs and send a bill to Dinan? I am still very much going to get the 135i when it arrives, I would just like a little insight into the process I guess. Sorry for the newbish questions, like I said in previous posts this is going to be my first BMW and I am just trying to make it a positive experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
My dealer, Habberstad of Huntington, Long Island is an authorized Dinan installer. The only one for at least 50 miles or so I am told. Looks like another conversation is in order.
I talked with Bernie from Habberstad and he pretty much told me upgrade as much via Dinan that I wanted to and nothing would be out of warranty (basically BMW or Dinan would cover the costs). He was also the one telling me about driving schools, track days and rallye's that were run on Long Island that wouldn't void my warranty. Now it is all sounding like fluff, but time will tell. I'll give Bernie a call and find out what I can.

Steven :thumbup:

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #58
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Steve, if you throw a rod or blow a head gasket and are running full bolt-ons bmw is not going to pay. I don't think anyone would. If a wheel bearing fails its still on them. They have to play by the same rules everyone else does, if the mod didnt break it, they have to pay for it.

I also bought this car in large part because of modability. Otherwise it would have been an m3
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #59
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

In further discussion with my dealer contact yesterday, one of the main issues of concern with BMW NA are cars with automatic trannys handling 421 ft/lbs and UP. Seems they haven't had much trouble with clutches and manuals.

As an aside has anyone picked up any information on rear sub-frame issues with modded cars? Seems in Europe E9x models with diesels may be damaging rear sub-frames? All that torque I guess.
      04-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #60
White Lightning
Internet Jester
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Smile

Quote:
Steve, if you throw a rod or blow a head gasket and are running full bolt-ons bmw is not going to pay. I don't think anyone would. If a wheel bearing fails its still on them. They have to play by the same rules everyone else does, if the mod didnt break it, they have to pay for it.

I also bought this car in large part because of modability. Otherwise it would have been an m3

Oh, if I throw a rod I understand it is on me. As long as everything else is covered, I'll take responsibility for engine, tranny issues.

Thanks.

Steven :thumbup:

:thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 07:11 AM   #61
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
In further discussion with my dealer contact yesterday, one of the main issues of concern with BMW NA are cars with automatic trannys handling 421 ft/lbs and UP. Seems they haven't had much trouble with clutches and manuals.

As an aside has anyone picked up any information on rear sub-frame issues with modded cars? Seems in Europe E9x models with diesels may be damaging rear sub-frames? All that torque I guess.
Hmm, I haven't heard anything about the rear-subframe. There are quite a few folks over here who drag race the cars pretty extensively too.

Steve, yeah. BMW would not void the warranty on the stuff that's actually prone to breaking (electronics, navi, dumb stuff)! I just wouldn't expect them to pony up if anything with the engine or tranny goes wrong.

Personally, I'm not that worried. IMO, if something breaks, that means it's time for a stronger part! :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2008, 07:30 AM   #62
F82SO2
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
PLease forgive my noobie question, but what is an SSTT?

And how does it work?

Thanks!

SSTT - Split Second Turbo Tuner

http://www.splitsec.com/
http://www.theturbotuner.com/
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #63
///M ichael
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: HiAce

It an no no.. with EUC flash(protune) on rolling road with 135i?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:20 PM   #64
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

FWIW . . . I stopped by the Dinan booth at Bimmerfest yesterday.

They're working on cracking v81 24/7. Its like any sort of computer encryption, its just a matter of time, but Dinan was thinking it would take about a month. They said they sold about 200 tunes a month for the 335i, so they need to get this sorted out ASAP, or they just lose money.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #65
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

I wonder how long it will take to figure out what the serial numbers are where the v81 started?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2008, 08:47 PM   #66
crzy4135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
FWIW . . . I stopped by the Dinan booth at Bimmerfest yesterday.

They're working on cracking v81 24/7. Its like any sort of computer encryption, its just a matter of time, but Dinan was thinking it would take about a month. They said they sold about 200 tunes a month for the 335i, so they need to get this sorted out ASAP, or they just lose money.
Hmm, I wonder if the newest 335i ecu's have the same type of encryption?