BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #155
ken1137
Brigadier General

Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allwheelsjive View Post
Where are all the real-life, my-warranty-was-cancelled stories? Unless I've missed something (possible - there seem to be 100's of related posts), all I've seen is conjecture. BMW could save a lot of $'s in ECU tracking R&D and just monitor these forums. Hope you guys aren't posting your VIN....
+1...I know some of you guys are tired of seeing this but here you go again
I'm doing this because I was told several times not to use aftermarket parts from tunes to exhaust. I listened at first ...

Will using ‘aftermarket’ parts void my warranty?
No. An ‘aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. Simply using an aftermarket part does not void your warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket part was itself defective or wasn’t installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

FYI...BMW has their own tune in the PPK so they cannot declare tunes are bad for your car, unless of course you are pushing 20 psi

Please read...this is from the FTC as of Dec 2010, but does not apply to other countries:
warranty_ftc.pdf

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 01-15-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Adding comment
ken1137 is offline   United_States
      08-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #156
FIRST1
Captain

Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Can someone explain to me where to find the ECU in my hood so I can see what version I have? My build date is 3/08 so I don't know if that means it's pre or post.

Part 2 of this question is if I have the earlier version that doesn't have the detection, is it possible that at some point, my dealer has updated my software to the newer version with tuning detection?
      08-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #157
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST1 View Post
Can someone explain to me where to find the ECU in my hood so I can see what version I have? My build date is 3/08 so I don't know if that means it's pre or post.

Part 2 of this question is if I have the earlier version that doesn't have the detection, is it possible that at some point, my dealer has updated my software to the newer version with tuning detection?
The DME is under the hood, just under/near the windshield. You have to remove the pollen filter/back engine tray to gain access.

Acording to RealOEM.com your car has the MDS81 DME.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...48&hg=12&fg=10

Easiest thing would be to use a OBDII scan tool like the BavTech to read your DME. The BavTech cable will tell you which DME you have. It won't tell you which SW version you have unfortunately. Any dealer can read that for you.

IF you have had a SW update anytime since 2011... your car most likely has the new 'anti-tuner" SW added. Do you feel any Lag? Then you have it.

Here is Burger's video on how to get at the DME...
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      08-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #158
FIRST1
Captain

Drives: '08 135i Titanium Silver

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The DME is under the hood, just under/near the windshield. You have to remove the pollen filter/back engine tray to gain access.

Acording to RealOEM.com your car has the MDS81 DME.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...48&hg=12&fg=10

Easiest thing would be to use a OBDII scan tool like the BavTech to read your DME. The BavTech cable will tell you which DME you have. It won't tell you which SW version you have unfortunately. Any dealer can read that for you.

IF you have had a SW update anytime since 2011... your car most likely has the new 'anti-tuner" SW added. Do you feel any Lag? Then you have it.

Here is Burger's video on how to get at the DME...
Damn, I don't trust myself to even do this much... I'm not a technical type, unfortunately, I feel more comfortable leaving it to professionals. I'll play it safe and assume I have the anti-tuner. Which leaves me still TORN on whether I will be ok to buy a chip for my car I want one so badly.
      09-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #159
Zeus78

Drives: 135i

Funny story... Was in BMW dealer here in Canada to install BMW performance short shift.

Forgot to uninstall Cobb... MY ECU port cover open (like I never cover it), Cobb and cable in glove compartment...

I was crapping bullets... All good though. The tech was in it thought, he asked me if i lost my ECU port cover I said it must of fell off when I hit a bump... right... smiled and told me to enjoy my short shift.

Just saying, these guys are enthusiasts just like us!
      11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #160
slow35i
Enlisted Member

Drives: 13' glacier silver 328xi

I'm a BMW tech and what I've noticed when I get anything with n54, dinan software will usually come up with DME coding errors, also if you had it done at a dinan dealer and you bring it into a non dinan dealer for something turbo for example, it would not be covered at that dealer take it back to the dinan dealer ,also when this is done it is now in the BMW system so now any dealer in the country can see in the comments section that it has dinan software

I've also found unknown brand piggybacks that look just like the jb+ , usually throw boost manipulation faults , and other manipulation faults

When we hook up the car to the isid and finish doing our thing to it, we exit to the main menu and when that happens a copy of our session and the vehicle info is sent to new jersey

We have a gt1 but its in the back room collecting dust

BMW can see what's been done to the DME in shadow memory , they usually tell us when we talk to the big guys in jersey
      11-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #161
135Pats
Need more fuel

FWIW ive never had the dealer comment on cobb, i just uninstall it before taking the car in. My dealership isnt thrilled about my dci of all things, so i need to remove it before theyll do cpo work. Midpipes and fmic didnt seem to cause an issue either, they specifically singled out the dci as grounds to void warranty. Not complaining though, ill toss the stock box back on and all should be good.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance/Cyba
135Pats is offline   United_States
      11-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #162
Dackelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow35i View Post
I'm a BMW tech and what I've noticed when I get anything with n54, dinan software will usually come up with DME coding errors, also if you had it done at a dinan dealer and you bring it into a non dinan dealer for something turbo for example, it would not be covered at that dealer take it back to the dinan dealer ,also when this is done it is now in the BMW system so now any dealer in the country can see in the comments section that it has dinan software

I've also found unknown brand piggybacks that look just like the jb+ , usually throw boost manipulation faults , and other manipulation faults

When we hook up the car to the isid and finish doing our thing to it, we exit to the main menu and when that happens a copy of our session and the vehicle info is sent to new jersey

BMW can see what's been done to the DME in shadow memory , they usually tell us when we talk to the big guys in jersey

Thanks for posting. Its an interesting perspective on our "tuned" 1er's.

Dack
      11-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #163
ahon_hassan
Alex hassan

Drives: 135i M package

Can they detect axle back exhaust
ahon_hassan is offline   United_States
      11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #164
Dackelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahon_hassan View Post
Can they detect axle back exhaust
Yes, as long as their eyes(& ears) are working.
      11-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #165
ChristianReyess
Private First Class

Quote:

I haven't read the whole thread, but with a JB4 you can delete all the codes that are thrown and according to terry at burgrtunning you can select to put the JB4 on "sleep mode" wich is said to be unditectable... true? \
ChristianReyess is offline   United_States
      11-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #166
135Pats
Need more fuel

there are shadow codes that i believe can only be read with a gt/can tool, bottom line is if a dealer really wants to know, theyll know. Ive taken my car in after removing cobb 3 times now, theyve never said a word...be friendly and polite with your sa, thats the best hedge against it imo.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance/Cyba
135Pats is offline   United_States
      11-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #167
slow35i
Enlisted Member

Funny today we had a 335 show up to the shop just for maintainance and a lack of power issue , the technician could not hook up to the car through the isid , he calls me over to help him figure out why the diagnostic head would not recognize the vehicle , I open the hood and see there is a set of BMS intakes, I think to myself " I bet there is a jb4 in this thing" I go over and press the steering wheel buttons and boom the sub menus come up and sure enough map 1 is selected , I switch it over to map 0 and the diag equipment started working, after we hooked up we found lots of boost manipulation faults , and CAN faults , we cleared them for him and had a little chat with him , we didn't say anything to warranty or managers
      12-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #168
Dackelone

Quote:
Funny today we had a 335 show up to the shop just for maintainance and a lack of power issue , the technician could not hook up to the car through the isid , he calls me over to help him figure out why the diagnostic head would not recognize the vehicle , I open the hood and see there is a set of BMS intakes, I think to myself " I bet there is a jb4 in this thing" I go over and press the steering wheel buttons and boom the sub menus come up and sure enough map 1 is selected , I switch it over to map 0 and the diag equipment started working, after we hooked up we found lots of boost manipulation faults , and CAN faults , we cleared them for him and had a little chat with him , we didn't say anything to warranty or managers
Hah! Thanks for posting this. Some guys here are still in denial about shadow codes and voided warranty coverage when the isid scans the car.

Thanks again for being a good guy.
      12-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #169
pdr1269
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 135i 6mt

What does isid stand for?

Thanks!
      12-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #170
slow35i
Enlisted Member

Integrated Service Information Display, It's the replacement for the GT1 (group tester One) they are dealer diagnostic equipment
      12-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #171
mb135is
Captain

Drives: '13 135is #180/586

Quote:
Wow, that was really good of you. Hope the guy appreciates what you did.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
      12-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #172
b1aze
Just one more taste...

Drives: 2010 135i

Good info. How likely is a tech who is doing just regular maint work who notices a DCI or something along those lines to put it in the notes on the VIN of the car?
b1aze is offline   United_States
      12-01-2012, 03:24 PM   #173
slow35i
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Good info. How likely is a tech who is doing just regular maint work who notices a DCI or something along those lines to put it in the notes on the VIN of the car?
Not likely under maintenance, if its a runability issue then that's a different story
      12-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #174
Venom
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Teg DC2 + E82 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
never hurts to ask the tech or SA directly. be personable, I'm sure my SA knew about my mods but since we got along he repaired my car time and time again and even got me a couple weird goodwill repairs and helped push BMWNA to extend the warranty on my car for free

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Venom is online now   United_States
      12-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #175
b1aze
Just one more taste...

Drives: 2010 135i

My SA today was AWESOME. Very helpful younger kid. Will absolutely request him from now on.
b1aze is offline   United_States
      12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #176
Dackelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
It depends on the Tech. How lucky are you feeling>? Why take the risk ?

IF I had a car with lots of mods... I would be doing all the services myself or have an indi shop - I trust do the work. The only time I would see a dealer would be when I needed to take the car in for warranty work(& then I would remove the mods).