BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
 
Drives: 135i, A200
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NSW

Posts: 377
iTrader: (0)

Catless smell and cops in NSW

I got pulled over last night for an RBT and switched off my engine just in case.

I have been told by my friend you can smell my car from the footpath.


I am worried I am gonna get pulled over and hear "that doesnt sound like a BMW", I am also wondering if my aFe intake is a defect and what I can do about it.

I am under the impression to get fined for catless you need to bring it in to an EPA station which gives you time to swap out to stock but I have heard of on the spot fines. So what are the possibilities?
__________________
135i M Sport DCT.
BSM/Oyster/GP trim
ItsHectic is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #2
froop
Lieutenant Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,913
iTrader: (2)

You can definitely get done for emissions but they'd need the emissions testing probe thingy in order to fine you on the spot.

Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore. Not allowed BoVs still though.

In theory it is also ok to alter your emissions controls in your exhaust as long as you can still pass the emissions limits on testing. Though I doubt you would be able to pass when full catless. Not sure though about a single set of cats on an N54.
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
1MOz
Lieutenant
 
1MOz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M AW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 490
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore.
Can you point me to any reference to confirm that? I've been putting off the AFE air intake because of this.
__________________
1MOz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #4
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
 
Drives: 135i, A200
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NSW

Posts: 377
iTrader: (0)

the aFe get sealed when the bonnet closes so theres a technical element to the aFe in particular.

How common is the emission probe? cops also have tint % detectors that they never use.

Should I just make it a habit of turning off my car when being pulled over and avoid driving near HWP?

I wanna stay catless for 2 reasons:
I see it as a good bet, the money you save on catless vs the fine + chances of being caught.
Its really really loud at high revs even with the stock exhuast system.
__________________
135i M Sport DCT.
BSM/Oyster/GP trim
ItsHectic is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
froop
Lieutenant Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 1,913
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Also, I don't think it's illegal to have an open filter element anymore.
Can you point me to any reference to confirm that? I've been putting off the AFE air intake because of this.
Check out the modifications sticky thread. All the laws regarding light vehicle modifications are there. From my reading I can't find anything that states open filters are illegal. It does specify that vent to atmosphere is illegal.
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Zen
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney Aus

Posts: 568
iTrader: (0)

Has any members on the forum got done by cops for having catless dp yet?
I got pulled over by RBT several times and had HWP sitting next to me, behind me and didn't have any problems. Just don't floor it or have a heavy right foot and you should be fine. As for smell, I haven't smell any rotten eggs on mine yet.
__________________
08' E92 335I
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Zen is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 10:59 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
I am under the impression to get fined for catless you need to bring it in to an EPA station which gives you time to swap out to stock but I have heard of on the spot fines. So what are the possibilities?
Not necessarily true...
There was an Current Affairs episode some time back, where the cops had a roadside testing, similar to a RBT setup..
Now, if they thought your car "seemed " not to be stock, you had to follow them back to a EPA station for emissions and sound decibel testing...
No time out to swap back to OEM parts.
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 11:05 PM   #8
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

I got pulled over for RBT some months back in the 1M..
No mid cats and no rear muffler, as I run the Meisterschaft race exhaust, so the car was idling like a champion

Cop: nice car
Me: thanks
Cop: how fast is she
Me: fast
Cop: but how fast
Me: fucken fast
Cop: wrong answer
Me: wrong question..

He just laughed and gave me the thumbs up as I blew negative, and I was on my way
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      04-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #9
COZ01M
Private First Class
 
COZ01M's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Castle Hill, NSW

Posts: 117
iTrader: (0)

good one joe! Have to remember that!
COZ01M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 03:53 AM   #10
drjekl
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Technically an AFE intake is 'illegal' as it's aftermarket and not oem. The HWP could then ask you OK where's our engineers certificate, then when you can't produce one they will slap you with a canary. Having said that you can still produce an engineers certificate and they can still slap you with a defect.

Open air filters are not illegal per se, as FPV's have come standard with them for years!

It's courtesy to shut down your engine anyway when the cops pull you over, and if you treat them with respect they're generally OK and will let you on your way! I have never been defected in almost 20 years of driving/riding (all my cars/bikes have been modified)
drjekl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 04:34 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOz View Post
Can you point me to any reference to confirm that? I've been putting off the AFE air intake because of this.
Hey mate. Why don't you go with the AFE Cold air intake, like I have..
Little bit quieter, but just as affective.
And looks more OEM than the open air intake box.
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 04:38 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZ01M View Post
good one joe! Have to remember that!
The misses didn't think so ...
She was cursing me for being such a smart ass
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 04:49 AM   #13
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
It's courtesy to shut down your engine anyway when the cops pull you over, and if you treat them with respect they're generally OK and will let you on your way! I have never been defected in almost 20 years of driving/riding (all my cars/bikes have been modified)
Your correct in saying it's the right thing to do, shutting down the car once pulled over, buts it's more out of common law, than courtesy.

But as far as treating them with respect, you haven't lived in the Sydney western suburbs and had to deal with HWP out here. I will only treat them with as much respect as they give to me.

But in saying all that, I also haven't been issued with a defect notice, in my 36 years of having highly modified street cars in Sydney.
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #14
drjekl
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Your correct in saying it's the right thing to do, shutting down the car once pulled over, buts it's more out of common law, than courtesy.

But as far as treating them with respect, you haven't lived in the Sydney western suburbs and had to deal with HWP out here. I will only treat them with as much respect as they give to me.

But in saying all that, I also haven't been issued with a defect notice, in my 36 years of having highly modified street cars in Sydney.
Well yes as you mentioned it's an unwritten law. I have spent a fair amount of time in punchy/seffo (ex gf, family - the lebanese side!) and never had an issue personally.

I'm sure those 36 years of defect free driving would have a lot to do with our attitude, bet you have a few speeding fines though!
drjekl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 05:20 AM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
 
Zuzu's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M Beast
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SyDnEy Oz

Posts: 7,325
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
I'm sure those 36 years of defect free driving would have a lot to do with our attitude, bet you have a few speeding fines though!
Hahahahaa... You got me there mate.
__________________
COBB tune . ETS FMIC . aFe CAI . Meisterschaft GT exhaust . Custom Midpipes . CDV . BM OCC . H&R springs :
Zuzu is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #16
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,546
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Technically an AFE intake is 'illegal' as it's aftermarket and not oem. The HWP could then ask you OK where's our engineers certificate, then when you can't produce one they will slap you with a canary. Having said that you can still produce an engineers certificate and they can still slap you with a defect.

Open air filters are not illegal per se, as FPV's have come standard with them for years!

It's courtesy to shut down your engine anyway when the cops pull you over, and if you treat them with respect they're generally OK and will let you on your way! I have never been defected in almost 20 years of driving/riding (all my cars/bikes have been modified)
not quite - it counts as a 'simple modification' and doesn't require engineering

there's a few mods that fall under that, and don't require it.
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 08:58 AM   #17
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
 
Drives: 135i, A200
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NSW

Posts: 377
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
The misses didn't think so ...
She was cursing me for being such a smart ass
When I had my 180sx a while ago I had been pulled over and they needed to call the Sargent in for my mate who was with me for an unrelated offense.

During a friendly chat the sargent asked me how fast I had taken my car I said "well I dont want to incriminate myself" hes like nah its okay so I admitted I had taken it to its limiter which is 180km/h on the way to wollongong at night, he was just like "nice ".
__________________
135i M Sport DCT.
BSM/Oyster/GP trim
ItsHectic is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 01:46 PM   #18
Harlequin
Brigadier General
 
Harlequin's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member

Posts: 3,198
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Open air intakes (Pod Filters) are legal - in QLD, at least - as long as they are secured.

ie: The aFe ones are legal. The Burger ones (that are just bunged onto the ends of the pipes) are not.

Don't ask me why they make this distinction... :
__________________
Harlequin is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 05:41 PM   #19
drjekl
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

See the thing is, most coppers don't know whats legal and what isn't.

I have two mates who are HWY patrols and have consulted them on a few items (both have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever - I had to change one's windscreen wiper blades for him!) and they both told me if they see something that doesn't look stock and depending on the circumstances they just slap a defect notice on the car...
drjekl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 05:42 PM   #20
drjekl
Captain
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Oz

Posts: 720
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
During a friendly chat the sargent asked me how fast I had taken my car I said "well I dont want to incriminate myself" hes like nah its okay so I admitted I had taken it to its limiter which is 180km/h on the way to wollongong at night, he was just like "nice ".
Hmm that's not too smart dude!!! Should have been last time I was at eastern creek or wakefield I got to.....
drjekl is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 07:55 PM   #21
BMW86
Major General
 
Drives: BMW 135i / Kawa Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

Posts: 8,843
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
Open air intakes (Pod Filters) are legal - in QLD, at least - as long as they are secured.

ie: The aFe ones are legal. The Burger ones (that are just bunged onto the ends of the pipes) are not.

Don't ask me why they make this distinction... :
I think it's something to do with the heat shield surrounding the filters.
__________________
BMW 135i N54 TWIN TURBO
Quarter Mile 12.173@113.70mph - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Sprint 1:01:22 - Street Tyres
Queensland Raceway Clubman 1:04:74 - Street Tyres
Lakeside Raceway 1:03:97 - Street Tyres
BMW86 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #22
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
 
Drives: 135i, A200
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NSW

Posts: 377
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hmm that's not too smart dude!!! Should have been last time I was at eastern creek or wakefield I got to.....
Yea I know, but he seemed really chill, he was old for a cop btw, funny thing is that didnt make him sus, it was when I kept talking after and he thought I was hiding something then asked me to pop my boot.
Im not even sure if I could of been convicted in that case if he wanted to charge me for criminal speeding.
__________________
135i M Sport DCT.
BSM/Oyster/GP trim
ItsHectic is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST