BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Kokanator135
Private First Class
 
Kokanator135's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edgewater, MD

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Recommendation for Hotel and Nice dinner in Carmel, CA

Not a local, so I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel and nice restaurant in Carmel, CA. I'm visiting from Pittsburgh, PA, and driving from LA to stop in Carmel overnight before going on to San Francisco. I'm driving up PCH, so something convenient to that would be nice. Also bringing the parents and my daughter, so wines not a big deal.

If anyone also knows what I should hit up in a half-day in San Fran, including a nice lunch place. I know that's not a lot of time, but we're supposed to have dinner with a friend in San Jose(?) - so many San's, sorry:iono::wink: - then continue driving back to LA.

Unfortunately not bringing the one - cross-country and don't think the 4 of us could tolerate that long of a drive in those confines!! I'm hoping Enterprise gives me a nice "premium" car that's a good road-trip car.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted some expert opinions, and everyone here has already proven their great taste in cars!!
Kokanator135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
JME
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

Posts: 239
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Carmel?

Depends on what you are looking for. My favorite place there is actually Chinese, called Tommy's Wok. Best Chinese outside of San Francisco. Only problem is finding it, the review has pretty good directions.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/tommys-wok-carmel

Another good place is da Giovanni. Wonderful Italian.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/da-giovanni-carmel

Another on of my Carmel fav's is Cafe Rustica.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cafe-rustica-carmel-valley

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Tarpy's or any place on Cannery Row/any of the tourist locations in Monterey. It is all overpriced crap. If you want any suggestions for Monterey/PG, let me know.

As for lodging... I dunno, never had to look for hotels I'm sure any of them will be decent. However, tourist season is in full tilt so get reservations NOW.
JME is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
All4One
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135icp
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 241
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanator135 View Post
Not a local, so I was wondering if someone could give me a recommendation for a reasonably priced hotel and nice restaurant in Carmel, CA. I'm visiting from Pittsburgh, PA, and driving from LA to stop in Carmel overnight before going on to San Francisco. I'm driving up PCH, so something convenient to that would be nice. Also bringing the parents and my daughter, so wines not a big deal.

If anyone also knows what I should hit up in a half-day in San Fran, including a nice lunch place. I know that's not a lot of time, but we're supposed to have dinner with a friend in San Jose(?) - so many San's, sorry:iono::wink: - then continue driving back to LA.

Unfortunately not bringing the one - cross-country and don't think the 4 of us could tolerate that long of a drive in those confines!! I'm hoping Enterprise gives me a nice "premium" car that's a good road-trip car.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I wanted some expert opinions, and everyone here has already proven their great taste in cars!!

Lunch at http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/ near carmel.

Carmel place, try Hyatt Regency Monterey (mainly for golf buffs though-special offers once in a while )

Take the ferry at SF (pier 39?) go to sausalito, lunch at http://www.scomassausalito.com/about-us.html or just drive to sausalito via the golden gate marin headlands. No time at all, enjoy their SF resto.

Enjoy, these are just my quick picks.
All4One is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
gan08
Private First Class
 
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

Fish House in Monterey. Fairly small restaurant, always packed. I believe it is on Del Paso Blvd.

Enjoy your trip and drive safe.
gan08 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
 
atr_hugo's Avatar
 
Drives: SWB 335i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -

Posts: 4,247
iTrader: (0)

Outside of Carmel - the Baja Cantina - a car guy's place!
atr_hugo is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Where exactly are you eating at in San Jose? Many restaurants here can be a hit or miss!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
RobLS
Major
 
Drives: M3 Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Near Perpetual Rain

Posts: 1,193
iTrader: (0)

Nice? Well there is the Carmel Chop House, gets really good reviews. I've never been, but I would if I was in the area. Also says its a must if you're out for a vacation.
RobLS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
Kokanator135
Private First Class
 
Kokanator135's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edgewater, MD

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!! I wanted to avoid the 'touristy' spots, especially with such a short time frame. I'll see if I can keep an eye out for hotels and get a reservation in Carmel of Monterey....the Fish House sounds good.

I'm actually eating dinner with a family friend in San Jose, so that's covered. Still looking for suggestions as far as maximizing my half-day in San Fran, however. A friend had mention some Pier or street next to a pier where there would be great street vendors for fresh food, which would be ideal with 3 different tastes....anyone know the name or location?

Thanks...and keep 'em coming!!
Kokanator135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #9
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

You can go touristy if you want and hit up Pier 39, there is tons of food there. Or you could go to my favorite spot on the water, its near the ball park, its called Red's Java Hut, best double cheeseburger, its a real basic menu, burgers, dogs and sandwiches, but if its a nice day, grab a beer and sit right on the water. Just make sure whatever you get, get it on a roll.
__________________
135i, Alpine White, Taupe Leatherette, iPod USB adaptor, 6MT

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Jewpac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Please make my day and don't go touristy. SF is only 7 miles across, but has some of the best dinning in California. Take a look into going to the North Beach District. The Stinking Rose and North Beach Pizza are always a win win.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
Peerless135
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jun 2008

Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

One of my favorites italian restaurants in carmel is Piatti's not cheap but not overpriced either. As for lodging if you want a decent priced room i'd aim more for Monterey than Carmel as your gonna pay more in Carmel.
Its too bad your not driving your one up the PCH i'm picking mine up next month in san louis obispo and doing the drive!
Peerless135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
Kokanator135
Private First Class
 
Kokanator135's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edgewater, MD

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peerless135 View Post
Its too bad your not driving your one up the PCH i'm picking mine up next month in san louis obispo and doing the drive!

I'm so jealous I'm not driving my one, esp as I just passed 1200 and can let her loose !!

I did wind up at a small hotel in Monterey, which users on hotels.com had given 5/5 ratings (Anton Inn in Pacific Grove). I also hedged my bets and made reservations for 3 places to eat at 3 different times, depending on how the drive up goes .

I wish my trip wasn't so jam-packed, I'd definitely meet up with someone for a :drinking:.
Kokanator135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 12:57 PM   #13
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Please make my day and don't go touristy. SF is only 7 miles across, but has some of the best dinning in California. Take a look into going to the North Beach District. The Stinking Rose and North Beach Pizza are always a win win.
You want him to not go touristy, but you want him to go to the stinking rose or NB Pizza? That's pretty funny. If you like Italian food, just walk around north beach and go into any restaurant you see, it will be good. The Marina is also a pretty good place to wander around and find good food.
__________________
135i, Alpine White, Taupe Leatherette, iPod USB adaptor, 6MT

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Jewpac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #14
JB135i
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SW burbs

Posts: 478
iTrader: (0)

It's been awhile since I have been to that area, so I hope my recommendations are still there.

I wish I knew the name, but it's in Carmel and it's a small German restaurant north of the main street that runs straight through town. It's a small town, ask any local and you will get where it is. That's how we got informed about it.

My wife and I walked up to the door, it's a smallish attached building, and we were greated by a nice lady. She asked if we had reservations, we looked past her and saw a TOTALLY empty room, but we politely said no we did not. We thought she was nuts asking. She seated us anyway. We were about to bolt, because frankly, the set up was just "odd". In no more than 15-20 minutes the place was JAM PACKED with people and we proceeded to eat one of our most favortie meals EVER from ANYWHERE. IMO California Reislings suck though, but that was not their fault, some people like them.

Clint Eastwoods "Restaurant/Motel" setup was suprisingly good too. We ate there twice in two different years. Both times the food and service were well above average, though not spectacular.

In Pacific Grove we had another great dinner at the Sardine Factory. This place could be construed as a bit touristy, but the food and service was excellent. And the sommelier set us up with a note card with our wine label since it was our anniversary that evening.

We will definately go back to these places the next time we are in that area if they are still around.
JB135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Heinzftw
Major
 
Heinzftw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: San Jose, Cali

Posts: 1,202
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewpac View Post
You want him to not go touristy, but you want him to go to the stinking rose or NB Pizza? That's pretty funny. If you like Italian food, just walk around north beach and go into any restaurant you see, it will be good. The Marina is also a pretty good place to wander around and find good food.
It's not as touristy as pier 39.. :respekt:
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi335 View Post
saw you comment and i'd lay on my bed and cry, then i put some Yulio Iglesias music, no more problem.


-█--------█-
Heinzftw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
It's not as touristy as pier 39.. :respekt:
Those places sure are.
__________________
135i, Alpine White, Taupe Leatherette, iPod USB adaptor, 6MT

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Jewpac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #17
gan08
Private First Class
 
Drives: Fatty X5 and Pot-bellied 135
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NorCal

Posts: 106
iTrader: (0)

For breakfast in Carmel, Em Le's restaurant is on top of my list.
Dolores between 5th and 6th.
gan08 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
IndyMike
Lieutenant
 
IndyMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 VO 1 M; 11 328iT; 08 R32
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Posts: 462
iTrader: (1)

I was born and razed (sic) in Monterey, and even though I now live in Indianapolis as often as I go back I'm sure there isn't any joint on the Peninsula I haven't frequented.

If you want a restaurant with a breath-taking view you'll want to try either the Pacific's Edge (pretty $$$$$) or California Market at Carmel Highlands Inn. It's about 5 minutes to the south of Carmel on the PCH so it's a real short hop.

Another good place for grub is The Carmel Mission Ranch. Great Rack of Lamb, and the Swordfish is delish, too. An added benie is it's owned by Clint Eastwood and he is known to stop by just about every evening around sundown for a nightcap.

If you do run into him take my advice and don't tell him he doesn't look like such a tough guy anymore.

:biggrin:
IndyMike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 03:46 PM   #19
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
I was born and razed (sic) in Monterey, and even though I now live in Indianapolis as often as I go back I'm sure there isn't any joint on the Peninsula I haven't frequented.

If you want a restaurant with a breath-taking view you'll want to try either the Pacific's Edge (pretty $$$$$) or California Market at Carmel Highlands Inn. It's about 5 minutes to the south of Carmel on the PCH so it's a real short hop.

Another good place for grub is The Carmel Mission Ranch. Great Rack of Lamb, and the Swordfish is delish, too. An added benie is it's owned by Clint Eastwood and he is known to stop by just about every evening around sundown for a nightcap.

If you do run into him take my advice and don't tell him he doesn't look like such a tough guy anymore.

:biggrin:
Carmel Mission Ranch is good too.
__________________
135i, Alpine White, Taupe Leatherette, iPod USB adaptor, 6MT

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Jewpac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
alivebacon
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 189
iTrader: (0)

Stay at the Spanish Bay
alivebacon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2008, 12:49 AM   #21
Jewpac
Marty Turco Hater
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

Posts: 768
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walrus say View Post
Stay at the Spanish Bay
That place is really, really nice. But its over $500 a night.
__________________
135i, Alpine White, Taupe Leatherette, iPod USB adaptor, 6MT

Delivery Wednesday 5/7
Jewpac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #22
Perfect128
Perfect128
 
Perfect128's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 SGM 128i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Bay, Northern CA

Posts: 201
iTrader: (0)

+1 on the Carmel Highlands.
+1 on Nepenthe in Big Sur (south of Carmel).

Just north of San Fran you can take in the beautiful redwoods at John Muir park if you want some more natural beauty.
Perfect128 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST