BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #1
Kiety
The ONE

Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

135i Cabriolet review after 200km

My car arrived in canada on June 2nd, delivered the 26th (it was actually ready for me on the 23rd, but due to work I had to delay pickup)

My delivery experience was a good one; however, my CA had forgotten to order my aluminum pedals so he did that, and I'm getting them installed free of charge this coming thursday. I had negotiated them into the deal, along with some bmw gear, mugs, caps, keychains, trunk tray, rubber mats and pedals.

My CA went through all the features of the cars with me. I pretended to be surprised when he mentioned some of the cooler features, ie. comfort access. I've read the manual downloaded from here a good 10 times, so i was pretty familiar with all the features of the car. It did however, take a few minutes to get used to the radio interface.

Unfortunately, it started raining lightly while the CA was going over the vehicle with me. After he did that, I went into the business office and signed the paperwork. The business manager tried to sell me a lot of stuff, tire warranty, etching (which is essentially a sticker they stick on major components of your car, not worth the $200), paint protection packages, 3M film, etc. I only got the 3M bumper film because my girlfriend was with me, and well, she works in business office at mitsubishi so she was feeling sorry for the business manager there, and asked me to buy something at least. Otherwise I was going to get it done independantly from downtown auto spa for cheaper. I'm going back on thursday to get the film and my pedals installed, they've arranged a 335i cabrio loaner for me for the day.

After all the paperwork was done, which took about 2 hours. They handed me a welcome package and the keys/fobs to my car. I walked to the vehicle and was happy to see that it was a bit sunny outside.

First impressions of the car: really good build quality. Also, the rubber trunk tray is awesome, I think everyone should try to get it worked into their deal if you ever plan on doing any kind of shopping. Keeps stuff from sliding around as the bottom has ridges to grip onto your items. Rubber mats had a velcro set, for putting into the floor, keeps them in place so they don't slide around like regular rubber mats (very nice feature).

When I first started the engine, I was delighted at the nice, low rumble of the engine. I didn't notice this during my test drives since I had test driven the 135i coupe a couple times, never the convertible.

I'm sure most people have read about the mechanical details on the car, how it pulls like crazy, great engine note, excellent transmission etc. So I won't reiterate that bit. But wow, they weren't joking when they said this thing's a monster. I had an 99 Audi A4, and this thing is in another league entirely.

The auto transmission in (D)rive works very well for regular, comfort city driving. But shift it into (DS) sport mode and it locks the torque converter from ~ 1200 RPM onwards as far as I could tell. Also, one thing I found different about this car is that at idle the engine remains at a low 700 RPM, I'm used to 1500 RPM idle in both the Lexus RX330 and the Audi A4. Must be good for fuel efficiency. While coasting the instantaneus fuel consumption says: 0L/100km. First 2 hours with the car, I achieved 20L/100km. But it started dropping rapidly, right now I'm at 14L/100km, I expect it to reach 11.5L/100km or so within 2 weeks.

My sister took the car out for a quick spin the same afternoon, wow is she leadfooted. She hit 120 (70 zone) on lougheed before she screamed 'Wow, this thing is crazy!'

One thing I noted about the wind blocker, is that it shakes a little bit at high speeds when the windows are not up. With the windows up however, there's no shaking at all, and the wind in the cabin is extremely low. I was able to have a conversation through the bluetooth/bmw assist at highway speeds, top down and the other person only found out when I passed a truck.

I did have to give the rims a wash the day of my pickup, brake dust was aplenty. It seems to be getting much better though, they stayed fairly clean after 150km of driving on friday.

Pictures later when I get off work!
Attached Images

06-28-2008, 02:59 PM   #2
Kiety
The ONE

reserved for pics!

06-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
Vancity1
Private

Drives:

The car seems to get better and better as you put more kilometers on it. Seemed that way till about 1700 kilometers for me.
      06-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #4
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Kiety, I echo much of what you said. After driving it now for 6 days I have found that it is a monster and handles like on rails. I have never had a car that has performed like this before.

And, the rumble you get from the exhaust is very clear in a vert. The one thing I found about the vert is we dont' get as many speakers because there is not back shelf.

The wind deflector is great for high speeds on a cool day but on a day like today I folded it down when I was on the #1 because I wanted the air buffeting behind me on my drive back and forth from downtown.

I have yet to really punch it beyond 4000rpm. Just waiting until I hit at least 1000kms. Then, I'm making good use of the paddle shifters.
warmtoes is offline   Canada
      06-29-2008, 01:01 AM   #5
Qube
Lieutenant

Drives: E39 540 :: 09 STi

So the deflector is good eh? Where'd you get it? I ordered it from the States but FedEx has managed to lose it. STILL WAITING!
      06-29-2008, 01:15 AM   #6
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road

Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Good news guys, I just turned 4000 km's and it's still getting better

Warmtoes & Kiety, if your looking for a great sunset ride with the top down, Mrs Wolf & I just did DT, Kits along Cornwall out to Spanish Banks. Turned around at UBC and reverse it. Back over Burrard. Right & right again after the bridge to go back along Beach Ave. Stay left at Denman and around the Park. Exit to LG and over the bridge to Park Royal. Marine Drive to Horseshoe Bay, back along Upper Levels to Cypress and up to the top.
Fantastic. The best part is that after almost two hours in the car through all kinds of traffic conditions my Wife and I both agree that it felt like a drive around the block, except for the few times I scared the crap out of her

In Kits we passed two different TiAg 128 cabrios within 10 blocks of each other and neither driver returned the 1'er wave. Bastards. I must say however, that the TiAg looked amazing on the cabrio in the flesh, even though they were only 128's

Oh, my Daugher just came in and asked for a ride to McDonalds. What's a Dad to do :biggrin:

Bringinthewolf is offline   Canada
      06-29-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel

Qube, the deflector is good for those non-summer days when the wind really cuts into you. For summer days it isn't needed for the most part unless your significant other has long hair.

I waved at an AW 135i cabriolet and no wave back yesterday.

Wolf, that sounds like a good drive. I'm still experimenting and had a hankering to go for a long drive last night around 10:30pm but talked myself out of it because I was too tired.
      06-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Kiety
The ONE

still haven't had a chance to upload my pictures, i need to install photoshop again, after not having it for ~ 3 years. By the way, I couldn't figure out how to close the top with the comfort access ridges on the handle, is the comfort closing via the handle ridges only available on the coupe?

06-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel

I haven't tried closing the top with the ridges on the door handles. Didn't know you could.
      06-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #10
Kiety
The ONE

finally got around to posting pics

06-30-2008, 12:15 AM   #11
imported_Katera
Captain

Drives:

Very nice! Welcome to the 135i Vert club!
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
      06-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #12
1ATTIC
Private

Drives:

"I must say however, that the TiAg looked amazing on the cabrio in the flesh, even though they were only 128's"

Only 128's...????:middlefin
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
      06-30-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel

Kiety, nice pics. Gotta love that Coral Red interior!
      06-30-2008, 01:18 PM   #14
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road

Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Sorry 1ATTIC, my jab was aimed at the two TiAg's that did not return my wave. I suspect that they are the type of BMW owner that have no idea how good their cars really are.

Bringinthewolf is offline   Canada
      06-30-2008, 06:59 PM   #15
Kiety
The ONE

I've seen about 3 other 1's on the road, none returned my wave so far

06-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #16
1ATTIC
Private

Drives:

No offense taken. I'll be sure to wave if I see you.....

Some of us 128i owners, even though we made our choices based on other reasons, are still allowed a little 135 envy....
Premium Sound
Moonlight Black Soft Top
Steptronic
Park Distance Control
      07-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #17
Kiety
The ONE

I've had a couple people in non 1's wave at me while driving, one time I was stopped at the railroads and an older gentleman driving a truck got out of his car to come over and talk to me. Was great chatting with him for the 5 mins we waited for the train to pass by. Also, they gave me a sedona 128i cabrio loaner while I brought my car in to get pedals and the clear bra installed. I must say, driving the 128i after being used to the 135i is quite a big change.

07-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #18
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel

I had a gentleman and his twentysomething son come talk to me about the car as well. He drove a TT convertible and was looking at getting a 135 vert.