BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-07-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
greenc51
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Help with temp tag sticker remnants on rear window

So when I got my 2013 a few months ago, the dealer gave me a temp blue tag that stuck to the rear window.
Well it seems the sticky adhesive on the tag is some type of super glue because I haven't been able to get it off yet (hadn't put too much effort yet)
It seems I will have to get in the back seats and really work on this thing.

Do you guys have any recommendations on how to get this crap off? I have a razor blade to scrape the remnants but I don't want to fuck the defroster lines up. I also have some bug and tar remover, but again, I don't want that to start pulling up the defroster lines since I don't know how they're stuck on there.

Help
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #2
ChrisAW1M
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I once had this happen on my car. In the exact same place. I would advise against use of a razor blade. The best solution is to purchase some Goo Gone adhesive remover and use some old rags, cotton balls, or soft, cloth-like paper towels and it will require a lot of elbow grease to get that out.

Fold the back seats down and just keep applying more Goo Gone to the rag or new cotton balls, or paper towels and rub really hard, back and forth, in swirls until you can get it off. Do not worry. Eventually it should work, but it will take a long time. You may end up using half of the bottle.

Similarly, you can use a solution of diluted fabric softener 50-50 with water in a spray bottle which helps remove adhesive, but I have found that to be less effective and not as useful in your situation as it might get everywhere.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2017, 12:56 PM   #3
Esteban
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Because I'm Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAW1M View Post
I once had this happen on my car. In the exact same place. I would advise against use of a razor blade. The best solution is to purchase some Goo Gone adhesive remover and use some old rags, cotton balls, or soft, cloth-like paper towels and it will require a lot of elbow grease to get that out.

Fold the back seats down and just keep applying more Goo Gone to the rag or new cotton balls, or paper towels and rub really hard, back and forth, in swirls until you can get it off. Do not worry. Eventually it should work, but it will take a long time. You may end up using half of the bottle.

Similarly, you can use a solution of diluted fabric softener 50-50 with water in a spray bottle which helps remove adhesive, but I have found that to be less effective and not as useful in your situation as it might get everywhere.
Hey coupon king, did it happen to your Silver 135i, or your Mineral Grey 135is, or was it your (cough, cough) AW 1M?
      07-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
MGM135is
LCDR USN Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is #399

Goo gone spray and then windex with vinegar.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2017, 05:20 PM   #5
greenc51
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Thanks so much guys. I already have some goo gone which I will go ahead and use. Can you confirm that the goo gone won't fuck with the defroster lines?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
MGM135is
LCDR USN Ret.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is #399

No it won't, just try to use some elbow grease but don't overdo it on the elements. The windex with vinegar cuts any residual grease and makes sure you don't have any streaks left behind.
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've read that when wiping the defroster lines, doing so in a direction parallel to the lines is less likely to damage them than if you wipe vertically.
Appreciate 1