BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2008, 03:22 AM   #1
Joey_T
That's me...
 
Joey_T's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Wind noise from side window

Lately I found that there is quite a lot of wind noise around side windows at speeds above 110 km/h (65 mph). So I was checking the rubber seal around windows and noticed that the window when closing the door goes directly into a rubber and "deforming or squeezing it". Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it go past the rubber? I'll try to post a pic latter, I don't have a camera with me at work.
Joey_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
JC Jai
E.I.T
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Lately I found that there is quite a lot of wind noise around side windows at speeds above 110 km/h (65 mph). So I was checking the rubber seal around windows and noticed that the window when closing the door goes directly into a rubber and "deforming or squeezing it". Is this the way it is supposed to be or should it go past the rubber? I'll try to post a pic latter, I don't have a camera with me at work.
I'm not sure if my issue is the same but yea lately I've notice some whistling from the driver side window when the windows are closed, at speeds upwards of 80 KM/h. Getting pretty annoying.
JC Jai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
one-35
First Lieutenant
 
one-35's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

: Do a search on 'whistling' or 'clear bra whistle' (although it's NOT cause by clear bra) in the forums. There are several posts about this whistling wind noise.

The mirror cap has a design flaw that causes the whistling. My 135i is actually at BMW Service now for this issue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
I'm not sure if my issue is the same but yea lately I've notice some whistling from the driver side window when the windows are closed, at speeds upwards of 80 KM/h. Getting pretty annoying.
one-35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
 
EspressoBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

let us know how that goes for the whistle. I am one of those people. I did not hear the whistle when it was just part of the clearbra on the mirror. I complained that they didn't cover the whole mirror back and they added another piece. After that I really noticed the whistle. When I just put my hand other the back of the mirror going 120km it stops. So I am still not sure it's caused by a defective mirror or design flaw. Yet to test.

I have noticed my driving has become a bit more with attitude and a cop drove right beside me yesterday. He had like 2 car lenths ahead of him. I didn't look at him as I am sure he was going to blast me for attitude. So I am going to relax a bit and maybe use the 120 whistle as a reminder to slow down. I have a 7 star rating on my ins and zero speeding tickets for like 15 years.

EspressoBoy
EspressoBoy is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
spongeWorthy
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

I've noticed a lot of wind noise from my drivers side window lately as well.
i haven't taken a close look at it, but its beginning to really annoy me.
spongeWorthy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
EspressoBoy
1addict, and proud
 
EspressoBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 1,015
iTrader: (0)

do you have clearbra on the back of your mirror spongeWorthy?
EspressoBoy is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 01:57 PM   #7
spongeWorthy
Private
 
Drives:
Join Date: Apr 2008

Posts: 80
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspressoBoy View Post
do you have clearbra on the back of your mirror spongeWorthy?
no i don't have a clear bra at all.
and i don't hear any whistle really.
more just wind noise, sounds like the window isn't completely closed.
as in a bad seal.

but i'll have to take a closer look at it.
spongeWorthy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #8
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mistermojorizin's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

i have the same exact situation as spongeWorthy. i took it to the dealer and they said the windnoise was within spec. my vette had the windnoise, the dealer would tighten the window and it'd get a little better, but never went away. my g35 had very little windnoise, it was very nice.
__________________

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
mistermojorizin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Joey_T
That's me...
 
Joey_T's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

I have the exact situation as spongeWorthy described. No clearbra, no wistle, just wind noise around windows. It gets worse with crosswinds. Could someone check the seal how it looks like when doors are closed - does the window go directly into a seal? Just look how the window closes and you'll see what I mean.

i have an appointment at my dealership on monday. Hopefully they'll be able to do something.
Joey_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2008, 12:55 PM   #10
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
 
Drives:
Join Date: Oct 2007

Posts: 361
iTrader: (0)

Keep us posted on your situation as there are many of us having the same problem and BMW dealers us off by saying "everything is withing spec". It's kind of a load of crap on a car this expensive.
UR2SLOW1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #11
JTdrivin1
1 Love
 
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NY

Posts: 255
iTrader: (0)

i thought i remember a previous thread that stated that you had to roll the window down ever so slightly, and then the wind noise would go away. i heard some wind noise today, but just cranked the music louder....
JTdrivin1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #12
JC Jai
E.I.T
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

so what is the clear bra on the mirror ??

Like the 3M stuff on the mirror caps ? I do have 3M on the mirror caps, but I highly doubt that would cause wind noise especially I'm sure that everyone has 3M done a little differently on their mirror caps...
JC Jai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2008, 02:56 PM   #13
Joey_T
That's me...
 
Joey_T's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Some info: today I took my car to the dealer for them to have a look at this issue. They gave me a loaner 1 series hatchback model (doesn't have frameless front windows)... Well you should have heard wind noise in that car - it was like 10 times worse. As I suspected they said that everything is within spec and if they would try to "calibrate" the angle of windows then this would probably result in water leaks. I tried to lubricate seals with some glicerine which (at least) keeps rubber look "more fresh" - and maybe this also reduced a noise for just a tiny bit as well (mind you it could also be just a placebo :biggrin. If someone has some other suggestions, don't keep them to yourself and let us other 1 addicts know. Just thinking...maybe the solution would be to add another very thin layer of rubber to existing seal.

Good day to you all :smile:
Joey_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mistermojorizin's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
i thought i remember a previous thread that stated that you had to roll the window down ever so slightly, and then the wind noise would go away. i heard some wind noise today, but just cranked the music louder....
tried it, didn't work
__________________

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
mistermojorizin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #15
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mistermojorizin's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Some info: today I took my car to the dealer for them to have a look at this issue. They gave me a loaner 1 series hatchback model (doesn't have frameless front windows)... Well you should have heard wind noise in that car - it was like 10 times worse. As I suspected they said that everything is within spec and if they would try to "calibrate" the angle of windows then this would probably result in water leaks. I tried to lubricate seals with some glicerine which (at least) keeps rubber look "more fresh" - and maybe this also reduced a noise for just a tiny bit as well (mind you it could also be just a placebo :biggrin. If someone has some other suggestions, don't keep them to yourself and let us other 1 addicts know. Just thinking...maybe the solution would be to add another very thin layer of rubber to existing seal.

Good day to you all :smile:
in my vette i had a removable roof, so the seal was not perfect. when i'd complain to the dealer they would "tighten the window" and it would cause the noise to decrease but it never completely solved the problem. but that may be expected with a removeable roof. funny how chevy service is actually better than bmw service, because they would actually listen to what the customer said (without having to reproduce the defect themselves, since they wouldn't drive it over 65). bmw just said "its in spec." Then i had the g35 that had frameless doors also, but had 0 wind noise. funny how infiniti quality is better than bmw quality.
__________________

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
mistermojorizin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 01:26 AM   #16
Joey_T
That's me...
 
Joey_T's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
in my vette i had a removable roof, so the seal was not perfect. when i'd complain to the dealer they would "tighten the window" and it would cause the noise to decrease but it never completely solved the problem. but that may be expected with a removeable roof. funny how chevy service is actually better than bmw service, because they would actually listen to what the customer said (without having to reproduce the defect themselves, since they wouldn't drive it over 65). bmw just said "its in spec." Then i had the g35 that had frameless doors also, but had 0 wind noise. funny how infiniti quality is better than bmw quality.
I tottaly agree with you regarding bmw service. My opinion is that the window would need just a tiny correction in adjustment so that it would seal better. If you lets say take a paper money, put it on top of the window and close the door, you will be able to take it out without too much effort. I mean if the seal was perfect you would tear your money into two pieces.

The other day I've driven an M6 on the autobahn. And even in a car that represents the top of bmw range there was quite a lot of wind noise coming in...
Joey_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-12-2008, 01:28 AM   #17
Joey_T
That's me...
 
Joey_T's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Europe

Posts: 234
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
tried it, didn't work
x2
Joey_T is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2008, 05:12 PM   #18
JC Jai
E.I.T
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

yea must be something with the design

window wide open and I can still hear the whistling sound. GONNA BE F***ing annoying driving on highways
JC Jai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
 
mistermojorizin's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,658
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
window wide open and I can still hear the whistling sound. GONNA BE F***ing annoying driving on highways
i think if the window created a good seal with the car, we wouldn't hear it with the window rolled up.
__________________

"KOPEYKA" /// Titanium Silver / Black Leather / Gray Poplar / Sport Package / Premium Package / 6MT / Feb 08 Production
mistermojorizin is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-14-2008, 08:57 PM   #20
JC Jai
E.I.T
 
Drives:
Join Date: May 2008

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

wide open or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermojorizin View Post
i think if the window created a good seal with the car, we wouldn't hear it with the window rolled up.
that's what i'm trying to point out... I could hear the whistling sound with window roll up or down, so it probably isn't the seal and something with the aerodynamics

oops I misunderstood you, what you saying is true but then sometimes you just wanna roll with the windows down, which then will become very annoying
JC Jai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #21
mchaskell
Traveler
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Never where I want to be.

Posts: 173
iTrader: (0)

I just noticed that my car at about 5 months old is starting to make more wind noise at speed. I am betting that the seals are taking a set from the windows being closed all the time and do not quite have the same tension against the glass they had when new.
__________________
135i SGM, Grey w/Grey Poplar interior.
mchaskell is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-17-2008, 06:37 PM   #22
one-35
First Lieutenant
 
one-35's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 340
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Jai View Post
window wide open and I can still hear the whistling sound. GONNA BE F***ing annoying driving on highways
JC Jai... : on 'whistling'.

I wrote several posts on what is causing this. It is caused by a bad design of the mirror caps; however, there is enough variation... car-to-car, that some people don't experience the whistling. That's German engineering for you.

You should complain to your Service Advisor, and ask him to try swapping out your mirror caps for new ones. The assembly tolerance may make it go away.

If you want a PERMANENT fix to the mirror whistling, then fill (with silicone or tape) the groove between the painted cap and black plastic rim behind it. You only need to fill the groove on the bottom portion of the mirror.

There is a pressure cavity forming there where turbulent air 'whistles'.
I am an aeronautical engineer and have conducted my own tests on my mirror.
one-35 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST