BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
digital12
Private

Drives:

Post Canadian Car Of the Year Winners

Hi All,

I just got home and started to read the Mississauga Paper, and I decided to pull out the Wheels section and noticed they did write up on Canadian Car Of The Year Winnners.

I guess you all know where I'm going with this, and yes it is ture

"SPORTS/PERFORMANCE (under $50k)"

Winner is BMW 135i Coupe.... YES BABY.....

This is the competition it went up against.
SPORTS/PERFORMANCE (under $50k)
Nominees: Acura TSX, (F) BMW 135i Coupe, Dodge Challenger, (F) Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, (F) Subaru WRX STI. Winner: BMW 135i Coupe.

Not to bad....

Thanks

Guido

10-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
Road Runner
Lieutenant

Drives:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ecialGlobeAuto

MICHAEL BETTENCOURT
From Thursday's Globe and Mail
October 30, 2008 at 12:00 AM EDT

What many saw as a long-awaited Canadian showdown between the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution and the Subaru WRX STi did end up being a battle — a battle for second place behind the BMW 135i Coupe.

BMW's smallest performance machine takes the title largely thanks to the wow factor provided by its engine. The 3.0-litre, twin-turbo, six-cylinder engine has not lost any of its 300 horses or 300 lb-ft of torque from its previous uses in the 3-Series and mid-size 5-Series sedans, nor the polished finesse of the top-line cars equipped with this engine.

What the 135i has lost is about 130 kilograms compared with the 535i, helping it achieve a 5.1-second average dash time from rest to 100 km/h, the fleetest in the group. Yet the top four cars are all within a barely perceptible half second of this time, so the 135i's get-up-and-go is not the only performance measure that landed this award.

It is the joy of extracting this performance that makes the 135i come alive for the enthusiast. The BMW's silky-smooth steering was not only mathematically precise on the track, but also on the street, where a planted rear end over mid-corner bumps means your passenger won't be groping for the grab handle.

BMW's little rear-wheel-drive two-door needed to be a dynamic knockout to win this group, as it had to overcome major practicality disadvantages. It offers the least room of its rivals, with optional sport seats that feel great if you fit but like boa constrictors if you don't, and a low roof that doesn't need a sunroof to be tight for six-footers.
Yet given its lusty engine, composed cornering and reasonable cruising comfort, it's hard to argue against the 135i as the class of the field, even for the most ardent Evo or STi fan.
      10-30-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
VFX
First Lieutenant

Drives: 128i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Runner View Post
What the 135i has lost is about 130 kilograms compared with the 535i
So put an adult & some luggage in your 1 series & it potentially weighs more than a 5 series!?!?!?

VFX is offline   Canada
      10-31-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Road Runner
Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFX View Post
So put an adult & some luggage in your 1 series & it potentially weighs more than a 5 series!?!?!?

A 5 series without a driver and luggage!