BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
docfinder1
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2008

iTrader: (0)

New Atlanta area Member needing advice on 135i purchase

Hello! I'm new to 1Addicts, but have been a member of several car groups before. I currently own a 2007 Mini Cooper "S" Cabrio, and I have enjoyed it very much. I started looking at 135's about a year ago and really wanted to pull the trigger, but decided to hold off. I am now seriously considering purchasing/ordering a 135i, but wanted to see if anyone around the Atlanta area can refer me to a no-nonsense dealer/salesman that they have had good experiences with. I prefer to stay on the North Side of Atlanta if possible because that is where I live (Lawrenceville) and work (Dunwoody). I have been reading a lot about the type of deals that people have been able to get over dealer cost, and I wonder if anyone has experience about what is possible in the Atlanta area?

Any insight as to what options are worth the money and which are not would be helpful as well. I am trying to get into a 135i as affordably as possible :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
S54dan
I no longer work for United BMW!
S54dan's Avatar
171
Rep
3,330
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E46 330i ZHP, E36 325i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
1994 BMW 325i  [4.25]
2005 M3  [4.83]
2005 325i  [4.00]
2003 330i ZHP  [4.50]
PM Sent
__________________
BMW CCA, PCA, & CHIN Motorsports Instructor.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
InsaneSkippy's Avatar
47
Rep
1,598
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
Welcome to 1addicts!

As a completely unbiased opinion, I will say that Dan@UnitedBMW is probably your best bet for a dealer in Atlanta. He comes HIGHLY recommended on this forum for his BMW Performance Parts sales.

As for the options as to what is "worth" the money...That depends on what you're looking for.

Do you want a no nonsense bare bones car, or do you like techie things like iPods and GPS?

Here are a few suggestions:

1.) Bare Bones - Sports Package/Standard Paint

At very minimum I would suggest the Sports Package. The seats are well worth the price of the package alone, not to mention the thicker steering wheel is a huge bonus. Regular seats are flat, and don't hold you well in the corners, where sports seats allow you to inflate bolsters to help adjust how tight the seat holds you. Alpine White is a great color (and is cheaper than the metallic paints).

2.) Low/Medium - Sports Package/iPod Interface/Metallic Paint/
If you own an iPod chances are the iPod interface will quickly become one of your favorite things about the car. If you don't like any of the standard paint colors (non-metallic) I highly recommend upgrading to the exact color you want. Paint is not something you want to cheap out on, as you're stuck with that color.

3.) Technology - Sports/iPod/Met. Paint/HD Radio/Park Distance Control.
If you park in a lot of public garages or have to parrellel park in the city, PDC will be a great tech gadget to have. However, it is a luxury that can easily be knixed for budget sake.

4.) Comfort - Sports/iPod/Met. Paint/Comfort Access/Premium Package.
If you think you want leather seats, and bluetooth is a must have, then I suggest the Premium Package (especially if you don't get metallic paint).


My $.02, other people will want other setups. It all depends on what you want personally, then decideding if it's worth it to you.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #4
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
48
Rep
1,239
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

PM Sent
__________________

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
docfinder1
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2008

iTrader: (0)

I purchased my Mini Cooper fully loaded, at the time with stuff that I didn't think I would enjoy, but have come to really enjoy a lot :thumbup: I added a stealth installed Blitzsafe XM receiver for very cheap, and just use the audio input jack for my ipod. I have since driven cars that have Ipod control and Bluetooth, and really, really lust after those options in a new vehicle....BUT...if it keeps the price high enough to keep me from buying i have to ask myself if it is really necessary. :iono:

I have leather seats now, and like them. I wonder how much leather seats add to resale? My guess is a lot, so I am thinking that I should get them, but of course that adds a lot to the price. I have the backup assist on my Mini, something I thought that I would never use, but more then once backing out in the morning it has saved me from backing into a bike that was left by my kids outside the garage door. Are Xenon's optional or included on the 135i? I have them now and really like them.

What about things like steering assist? I can live with non-metallic paint, but I just have to have the Sports seats
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 04:15 PM   #6
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
51
Rep
1,610
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

Please set your budget first and you better know BMW's option list is lengthy and expensive. I ordered what I wanted within my budget (<35k$) which I got a beautifull crimson red 6 sp. with sport package. No regrets not getting any other options. The base radio works fine, lette is fine too.
__________________
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #7
InsaneSkippy
Lieutenant Colonel
InsaneSkippy's Avatar
47
Rep
1,598
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to InsaneSkippy Send a message via MSN to InsaneSkippy
Quote:
Originally Posted by docfinder1 View Post
Are Xenon's optional or included on the 135i? I have them now and really like them.

What about things like steering assist? I can live with non-metallic paint, but I just have to have the Sports seats
Xenon's are standard on the 135i, optional on the 128i. Active Steering is probably the least popular option (in terms of # of cars that have it compared to those that don't). I've only seen a handful of 1ers with it. I personally think it's a waste of money, but if you're coming from a Mini, you might like it.
__________________

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Call
Call
Call's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
683
Posts

Drives: 08 135i, 08 & 07 X5, 05 MCSC
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gainesville, GA

iTrader: (0)

DF, as you know I have NoBlinG and love it dearly. You are welcome to drive it sometime if you wish. Right now is a really great time to buy an 08 because of the discounts and the 0.9% financing. I see already that Dan@United BMW of Gwinnett has pm'ed you so if they have or can get something you like that would be an excellent move.

I know we have been buying from another dealer for our MINIS and I for my BMWs but I have changed my preference of dealers to United. They really appear to have it together so I can recommend them to you. I am taking the ONE and the two X5's there for service and have been pleased.

You know you want a ONE...no better time than now to do it.

Call (KK)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
docfinder1
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Call View Post
DF, as you know I have NoBlinG and love it dearly. You are welcome to drive it sometime if you wish. Right now is a really great time to buy an 08 because of the discounts and the 0.9% financing. I see already that Dan@United BMW of Gwinnett has pm'ed you so if they have or can get something you like that would be an excellent move.

I know we have been buying from another dealer for our MINIS and I for my BMWs but I have changed my preference of dealers to United. They really appear to have it together so I can recommend them to you. I am taking the ONE and the two X5's there for service and have been pleased.

You know you want a ONE...no better time than now to do it.

Call (KK)
Thanks Call/KK...Kinda figured you would see my post. Your right..I just can't get your 135i out of my mind after seeing it at my house that day. If I can make the numbers work for me, I am hoping to to get in one soon :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
rodi
. . .
94
Rep
2,400
Posts

Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

iTrader: (-1)

the iDrive / Nav system is worth every penny, even if you know the streets around here like the back of your hand.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
Addicted to One
Private
Addicted to One's Avatar
1
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: WA

iTrader: (0)

perhaps you can convince Dan to purchase his own 1 with your purchase
Welcome to the site!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #12
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
One&Only's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: '08 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rome

iTrader: (0)

Hi guy,

You may remember me from the Atlanta MINIs as JoyRide on the board.
My suggestion is to go on the BMW USA website and start building....that way you can instantly see what the damage is.

I did that after Call decided to get AW, which I had originally wanted....I think I chose extremely well with SGM on Terra.

Glad you're on board and look forward to a Thunder Run or two with you in the mix.

Check out my sig below and you'll see what I ultimately got. While driving on the Autobahn I decided my car needed less body roll and emailed WAY who order H&R front & rear sways. Had him put 'em on the day after I took re-delivery in Spartanburg. Did the CF spoiler install and think it makes a difference in the curve hugging abilities, not to mention the hotness factor.

Do eeeeeeet! :thumbup:
__________________
Drives a Sawed-Off Shotgun
135i/SGM/Terra/Gray Poplar/Sport Pac/H&R Sport Springs & Sways/Heated Seats/Premium HI-FI/Sat
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #13
docfinder1
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Nov 2008

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by One&Only View Post
Hi guy,

You may remember me from the Atlanta MINIs as JoyRide on the board.
My suggestion is to go on the BMW USA website and start building....that way you can instantly see what the damage is.

I did that after Call decided to get AW, which I had originally wanted....I think I chose extremely well with SGM on Terra.

Glad you're on board and look forward to a Thunder Run or two with you in the mix.

Check out my sig below and you'll see what I ultimately got. While driving on the Autobahn I decided my car needed less body roll and emailed WAY who order H&R front & rear sways. Had him put 'em on the day after I took re-delivery in Spartanburg. Did the CF spoiler install and think it makes a difference in the curve hugging abilities, not to mention the hotness factor.

Do eeeeeeet! :thumbup:
Hey, of course I remember you :smile: I have been to the BMW site more times then I can count, and originally found my total price ending up around $42,000 which was more then I wanted to spend. I am now down to just a few simple options. Tell me what you all think:

1) Leather seats
2) Sport Package
3) Ipod Adapter
4) Bluetooth
5) Maybe backup assist
6) Maybe metallic paint

I have looked and there are not a lot of 2008's left, and the ones that are left are cabrio's or too loaded. I wish that I could cash in on the financing options being offered for 2008, but it looks like I will not be able to do that :iono:

Speaking of financing, how many people have done the BMW select financing ( I think that is what it is called ). I am not one to drive my car until it falls apart, and usually want to get rid of it once it is over the warranty.

Thanks for all of your help!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 01:44 AM   #14
One&Only
Only 1 n Rome
One&Only's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: '08 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rome

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfinder1 View Post
Hey, of course I remember you :smile: I have been to the BMW site more times then I can count, and originally found my total price ending up around $42,000 which was more then I wanted to spend. I am now down to just a few simple options. Tell me what you all think:

1) Leather seats
2) Sport Package
3) Ipod Adapter
4) Bluetooth
5) Maybe backup assist
6) Maybe metallic paint

I have looked and there are not a lot of 2008's left, and the ones that are left are cabrio's or too loaded. I wish that I could cash in on the financing options being offered for 2008, but it looks like I will not be able to do that :iono:

Speaking of financing, how many people have done the BMW select financing ( I think that is what it is called ). I am not one to drive my car until it falls apart, and usually want to get rid of it once it is over the warranty.

Thanks for all of your help!
Well...you're a better person than me cause I'm having trouble putting your face with your board name....
Do me a favor....plez....if you go to the ATL MINIs Xmas party at 5 seasons on the 14th ....introduce yourself....I'm planning on being there with a date 4 the 2nd time in 4 yrs....amazing!!! I'd love to put your sig with your face.

I was fortunate enough to be my own bank so financing has been with me through me....and with the demise of my 04 MINI I've paid off almost .5 of what my 1er cost which was around 42. ED added a bit more but was worth every penny.
I got the following:
1) Leather seats
2) Sport Package (terra)
3) Ipod Adapter
4) metallic paint (SGM)
5) heated seats (nevah had 'em...lov 'em cause they lov me)
6) premium sound (hada have)

Hope to cya at the party!
__________________
Drives a Sawed-Off Shotgun
135i/SGM/Terra/Gray Poplar/Sport Pac/H&R Sport Springs & Sways/Heated Seats/Premium HI-FI/Sat
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #15
tkbr0wn
Major
United_States
48
Rep
1,239
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman S
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

You can see my sig for what I got, and my total was right at 42k out the door (including tax, tag, title)
__________________

● 2015 Cayman S (Current), 2011 1M BSM #297 (Sold), 2008 135i (Sold) ●
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:16 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST