BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
derekL
Captain

Drives: e82 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [3.48]
Where do you guys place your ballasts?!

Once again with my crappy searching skills, I am in need of help from our community.

Where do you guys strap down/ 3M tape down your ballasts? Be it from HID low beam kits, AE kits, or HID fogs. Show photos if possible! Thanks guys

|Shadowline Grills|Hotchkis Front Sway Bar|DIY CF Black Fabric Trim|Carbon Fiber Trunk Spoiler|Black O.Z Ultraleggeras|BMW Performance Exhaust|M-Sport Bumpers w/ Fogs|Shadowline Diffuser|CSR Eyelids|BMW Performance Shifter/Boot and Handbrake|AFE stage 2 intake|Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit|///M mirrors|Blackline LCI|
derekL is offline   Hong Kong
      12-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
Sixle
Private

Drives: CR 135i N54 6MT

I have velcro'd mine to the small spine of plastic between the two bulbs inside the housing, otherwise the ballast was locking up the motor and causing it to jam. May vary bdepending on ballast sizes.

I'll try upload pictures later.
      12-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Maurzog
Rear Admiral ☆☆☆

Drives: 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixle View Post
I have velcro'd mine to the small spine of plastic between the two bulbs inside the housing, otherwise the ballast was locking up the motor and causing it to jam. May vary bdepending on ballast sizes.

I'll try upload pictures later.
I did the same thing, and to clarify, he means the AE ballast is causing the adaptive headlight motor to jam. Mine did this for a sec then I moved them over and they were fine.

Beware of locating them externally as the wires could cause the headlight not to seal thus condensation or worse.
Maurzog is offline   Libya
      12-13-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
irnotfob
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2010 128i

HID low beam ballast mounted

I had just had a horrible discovery with a low beam HID install I had done at a shop (won't list any names here, but it is in SoCal) and I previously had some Depo headlight issues so I removed the bumper myself to try and access the headlight to fix it but discovered that my ballasts were just dangling there.

First I fixed the adjustment on my Depo headlights and then I took on the mini project of properly mounting the ballasts to something stable.

1. You can see the before image (1st image) of the ballast just dangling behind the front bumper.

2. I used heavy duty Velcro tape I bought at Home depot.

3. Found a nice snug spot on the front bumper support beam right inside of the headlight plastic supports.

4. After having the ballasts firmly stuck onto the beam, I used an extended ziptie (put 2 together) and wrapped it to secure the ballast tighter so it would not break off from the Velcro.

5. Now my ballasts weren't flopping around while I drove.

Hope this was helpful, because this was the best location that worked out for me since the cables weren't long enough to reach anywhere else.
Attached Images

12-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
MuNkY6913
The Crowing

Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
mine are inside of the headlight housing. i used velcro and its worked awesome so far. this is a pic of the inside of the housing back that you take off to get to the lights.

Name:  IMG_0814.JPG
Views: 513
Size:  484.9 KB

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
MuNkY6913 is offline   United_States
      04-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #6
Stealth328Ci
Registered

Drives: BMW E82 125i Titan Silver

Hi

I'm another newbie needing help, has anyone heard or know why if I just swapped stock halogen headlights for depo projectors why my HID kit wouldn't work when hooked up to the car? Do I need to activate something with coding??

Stealth328Ci
      06-02-2014, 08:38 AM   #7
bNks334
Enlisted Member

Drives: '13 128i

i have 35watt slim ballasts and i just zip tied them to the brackets on the back of the headlights themselves...