BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2009, 08:23 PM   #67
Night1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdanomite View Post
hey, atleast it's a progression. like i said before, it's some sort of programming issue. i have yet to see a clutch go bad. E9x had a rear main seal issue a while back, but even then, that didn't cause a clutch to slip.
You're right bro, I should be grateful for any progression! :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #68
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

BMW service center called yesterday and said 2 more regional techs were there inspecting my car. No word yet on how they will fix it or how long it will take.

This upcoming Saturday will mark 1 month that my car has been in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #69
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

It sounds like a ECU related issue. Have they refleshed or checked your ECU?
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #70
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Can't they hook up the car so BMW in Germany can figure it out?
So how much longer are they going to jerk you around until they give you a new one? I'm sure you didn't buy a new car so that it could sit in the shop for a month.
      01-15-2009, 11:20 AM   #71
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:

Can't diagnose a slipping clutch with an internet connection. :wink:

(Well, I guess you could, but you'd have to drive down the road and watch vehicle speed vs RPM.)

I can't believe they're still dicking around with this. If the symptoms are being described correctly, there's only one answer, and it's the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #72
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by My135 View Post
It sounds like a ECU related issue. Have they refleshed or checked your ECU?
They updated the software and were going to check the ECU next. I don't know if that has been done yet though.

Quote:
They were supposed to already have done this when they entered the PUMA case and when the field engineers saw the car in person the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
So how much longer are they going to jerk you around until they give you a new one? I'm sure you didn't buy a new car so that it could sit in the shop for a month.
Who knows?!! I cannot believe it has been this long with no serious resolution to this problem. At this point, they do owe me a new one!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #73
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
what do you have for a loaner?

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #74
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
what do you have for a loaner?
A slow, slow, slow, 328i w/ auto tranny. I would never buy this piece of crap. It is great on the gas though.

That being said, the interior of the 1 is so much more user friendly. The location of the dials and controls feels more natural. Also, the 3's interior is a bit too boring.

I've had plenty of time to think about this. You know, while my car has been in the shop FOR A FREAK'N MONTH!!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #75
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

BMW just called and said the field service engineers have determined that the problem is.....wait for it......

THE CLUTCH!

How many times have you all guessed it???? How many times have I told the service engineers and BMW techs what you guys have been saying??????

They said they are now ordering the clutch and all the necessary parts. I am so pissed right now. So freaking pissed..........
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:04 PM   #76
Dangerlucas
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.50]
Wow. That's all I can say. I can't believe it would take then this long to figure it out.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #77
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night1 View Post
Update:

BMW just called and said the field service engineers have determined that the problem is.....wait for it......

THE CLUTCH!

How many times have you all guessed it???? How many times have I told the service engineers and BMW techs what you guys have been saying??????

They said they are now ordering the clutch and all the necessary parts. I am so pissed right now. So freaking pissed..........

Print this thread and give it to them. To think a software update could fix something like that was just stupid. It was a complete impossibility.

And for the BMW "engineers":

WE TOLD YOU SO MFers!!!!!! An internet forum properly diagnosed this car in a couple of hours based on the owners description of the problem, without ever even seeing, and it took you guys a damn month. Way to go!

:biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #78
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Well, at least they figured it out and replacing the clutch should be a more straight forward job for them than monkey around the ECU.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #79
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

What would you guys recommend I do at this point?

Do I really want a car that has sat in the shop for a month and now needs a new clutch and all its respective parts? Do I tell them to keep the P.O.S. and get a new car?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #80
Night1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Print this thread and give it to them. To think a software update could fix something like that was just stupid. It was a complete impossibility.

And for the BMW "engineers":

WE TOLD YOU SO MFers!!!!!! An internet forum properly diagnosed this car in a couple of hours based on the owners description of the problem, without ever even seeing, and it took you guys a damn month. Way to go!

:biggrin:
Hahahaaa!! That's funny but it's true! I will print it and show it to them for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #81
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I honestly had more faith on Bimmer techs than that. Gives me second thoughts.
      01-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #82
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night1 View Post
Hahahaaa!! That's funny but it's true! I will print it and show it to them for sure.

Yep. I just looked back to the first page. You posted this at 12:52 and less than 6 hours there were already four people who said exactly the same thing....clutch.

1Addicts - 1
BMW Techs - 0 (after a month of screwing around)

Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #83
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

The very least you should gain is having them cover one month's payment on your car. You lost use of it for a month, it depreciated during that month. You should be entitled to one month's compensation in the form of them covering one of your auto payments.

You might also hit them up for courtesy oil changes or if you want to dump the car, hit them up for special deal on something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:31 PM   #84
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are there many signs of a clutch slipping? Buddy of mine seems to have lost power throughout the entire powerband of his wrx. Nothing major, but he says noticable.
      01-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #85
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Are there many signs of a clutch slipping? Buddy of mine seems to have lost power throughout the entire powerband of his wrx. Nothing major, but he says noticable.

The main sign of a slipping clutch is the RPMs go up, but the speed doesn't change as much as it should. You usually notice it in higher gears. Eventually the speed catches up, or you reduce the throttle and the clutch will grab. If the clutch is slipping on a relatively fast car, it will be obvious that something is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #86
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The main sign of a slipping clutch is the RPMs go up, but the speed doesn't change as much as it should. You usually notice it in higher gears. Eventually the speed catches up, or you reduce the throttle and the clutch will grab. If the clutch is slipping on a relatively fast car, it will be obvious that something is wrong.
If you over heat a clutch and its starts slipping, will it perform as normal when it cools down or are you doomed for bad performance after that?
      01-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #87
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you over heat a clutch and its starts slipping, will it perform as normal when it cools down or are you doomed for bad performance after that?

I've had them cool down and work normally for a long time afterwards (I've usually done this at the drag strip going for low 60' times), but you're taking some life off for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #88
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
I've had them cool down and work normally for a long time afterwards (I've usually done this at the drag strip going for low 60' times), but you're taking some life off for sure.
It's similar to how brakes "fade" after a lot of hard use.....but after they cool down they often work just as well again, although the hard use will take a toll on the longevity of the pads themselves.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0