BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #23
Canexican
Closet N54 Fan
 
Canexican's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2009

Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

Man, I don't know how you guys can justify going out and spending that much on Dinan parts when there are other very good aftermarket options that appear equally well engineered - if not better. Spending that much for 398 bhp on this platform is insane! Sure, the warranty thing is nice, but the odds of something going wrong due to a flash tune are very minimal considering the ECU fail-safes that are built in. The only reason DINAN charges that much is because he knows that there are enough dolts (no offense) that will really want the exclusivity of a DINAN badge. Good marketing and poor decision making on the consumer's part keeps Steve Dinan in business.
__________________
'06 EVO IX MR 10.51@127mph (1.40 60ft)
World's Quickest/Fastest Stock Turbo/Motor Evolution
400whp/397wtq
.
Stock Turbo. Stock Cams. E85 Powered. Tuned by JSDyno.com
Sweet vids of my car kicking ass...
Canexican is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2009, 12:07 PM   #24
MastaMind
I like beer
 
Drives: AW 135
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Under Pressure

Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canexican View Post
Man, I don't know how you guys can justify going out and spending that much on Dinan parts when there are other very good aftermarket options that appear equally well engineered - if not better. Spending that much for 398 bhp on this platform is insane! Sure, the warranty thing is nice, but the odds of something going wrong due to a flash tune are very minimal considering the ECU fail-safes that are built in. The only reason DINAN charges that much is because he knows that there are enough dolts (no offense) that will really want the exclusivity of a DINAN badge. Good marketing and poor decision making on the consumer's part keeps Steve Dinan in business.
First, nice IX MR. I love that car, and I am extremely pissed that it was out of production by the time I could afford one.

Second, the fact that someone has a different opinion, does not, in fact, make them an idiot. The overall reliability of the N54 and detectability of other tunes has not been proven to such a point that I felt comfortable with going a different route.

This is why choices are a good thing :wink:
MastaMind is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #25
Da Boy
New Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Dec 2008

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

After my experince with blowing a Subi engine after 3,000 miles on a stage 1 tune, not covering it under warranty coverage; dinan warranty coverage becomes VERY attractive.

I don't know exactly what a new BMW engine for this car would cost, but i'm sure it would exceed the additional cost you'd pay for dinan parts/install.

It is basically like buying insurance. Just casue you have not been in an accident in 10 years does not mean you would leave your 40k car uninsured.
__________________
Ben,

"Simone" 2009 BMW 135i, Sport package, roofracks!

Formerly: A much loved and appreciated 05 MCSC - PS/Blue canvas - sold "Da Boy"
and... a POS 2008 STI that blew an engine at 3,000 miles
Da Boy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2009, 05:17 PM   #26
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Add1ct's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i, 335i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Palos Verdes Estates (SoCal)

Posts: 1,860
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Boy View Post
After my experince with blowing a Subi engine after 3,000 miles on a stage 1 tune, not covering it under warranty coverage; dinan warranty coverage becomes VERY attractive.

I don't know exactly what a new BMW engine for this car would cost, but i'm sure it would exceed the additional cost you'd pay for dinan parts/install.

It is basically like buying insurance. Just casue you have not been in an accident in 10 years does not mean you would leave your 40k car uninsured.
wow, did u take the tune out before they could get to it and they didn't care or they found the tune? that sucks and Dinan is definitely for the warranty. It would be nice if we had more warrantied choices here, namely, Alpina
__________________
E82 N54 6MT 6FL 668 KASW turned in
E92 Crimson/Cream N54 6MT, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Sat radio, HD Radio, Logic7, PDC, Active Steering, Active Cruise, 6FL, CA
Add1ct is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2009, 07:31 PM   #27
dbchun
Second Lieutenant
 
dbchun's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 243
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
wow, did u take the tune out before they could get to it and they didn't care or they found the tune? that sucks and Dinan is definitely for the warranty. It would be nice if we had more warrantied choices here, namely, Alpina
i know taking out a tune before going to the dealer is an option, but technically it is warranty fraud and although you can pretty easily get away with it, just doesnt feel right

this would be the main reason for me spending the extra cash for dinan, however this is in regards to the ECU chip and maybe suspension. anything tailored by Dinan for my 135i. other dinan parts such as exhaust, fmic, m3 parts, i would rather purchase elsewhere

i remember reading somewhere that Dinan warranty only applies if you use all Dinan parts? what if one was to approach Dinan with aftermarket parts already on the car?
__________________
N54 powered

Follow me on Twitter @dbchun
dbchun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
Canexican
Closet N54 Fan
 
Canexican's Avatar
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2009

Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastaMind View Post
First, nice IX MR. I love that car, and I am extremely pissed that it was out of production by the time I could afford one.

Second, the fact that someone has a different opinion, does not, in fact, make them an idiot. The overall reliability of the N54 and detectability of other tunes has not been proven to such a point that I felt comfortable with going a different route.

This is why choices are a good thing :wink:
Thanks man. I picked mine up used - couldn't afford it brand-spanking new :wink: .

I see your point and didn't mean to insult anyone. I just feel that Dinan's parts are incredibly overpriced and would never really consider them an option (if I had a BMW, haha). I've seen similar overpriced options on other platforms and they've turned out to be just that - a bit of a rip-off. You see, i'm basically cheap when it comes to buying parts and have had great success with performance parts that were far less expensive options. So, anytime I see something as expensive as Dinan, I cringe and immediately start looking elsewhere.
__________________
'06 EVO IX MR 10.51@127mph (1.40 60ft)
World's Quickest/Fastest Stock Turbo/Motor Evolution
400whp/397wtq
.
Stock Turbo. Stock Cams. E85 Powered. Tuned by JSDyno.com
Sweet vids of my car kicking ass...
Canexican is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2009, 12:44 AM   #29
davemohan
**************
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SC

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbchun View Post
i know taking out a tune before going to the dealer is an option, but technically it is warranty fraud and although you can pretty easily get away with it, just doesnt feel right
Nice to hear from someone with a sense of ethics! It can be rare sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbchun View Post
i remember reading somewhere that Dinan warranty only applies if you use all Dinan parts? what if one was to approach Dinan with aftermarket parts already on the car?
In my talks with Dinan before purchasing I was told that using other aftermarket parts has the same effect on their warranty as it does on BMW's. If BMW declines coverage, and the failure was due to the Dinan modifications Dinan will cover it. If they determine that it was due to the other non-Dinan mods they won't. The example the rep used was if you installed a third party blow-off valve and it failed and caused subsequent damage, Dinan would not cover that damage. However, if the Dinan tune (etc.) caused the damage the presence of the third party part would not prevent coverage. At that point you have to trust Dinan and/or BMW to do the right thing, always a big leap of faith.

Personally, I'll stick with Dinan for further engine mods to be safe until 50,000 miles or until I'm ready to kiss warranty coverage goodbye, whichever comes first. (Almost certainly the later.)
davemohan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST