BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
AndyM
Lieutenant
AndyM's Avatar
41
Rep
530
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2007

iTrader: (2)

Let's reset the windows limits

Thanks to Imz4n on ZPost for this one.

If you disconnect the battery and lose one touch up/down and or the positive seal function, you need to reset the windows.

This procedure will reset the windows limits so that when you open the door the window will drop the 1/4 inch.

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, “Remember where we are now? ”

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Raflekt
First Lieutenant
Raflekt's Avatar
7
Rep
354
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 AW 135i fully loaded
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

tnxxx for the info!!!
__________________
2009 AW 135i
CP-E CATLESS DPS, AFE EXHAUST , OIL COOLER KIT,FORGE DVV,,BMW PERFORMANCE SIDE SKIRTS AND BMW P . PEDALS, BMW PERFORMANCE SPOILER , BMW PERFOMANCE KIDNEY GRILLS, CODE 3 IC, DIREZZA Z1 STAR SPEC
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
erabmw135
Private
erabmw135's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
93
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Miami

iTrader: (0)

Thnx
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
RimasRS's Avatar
28
Rep
2,397
Posts

 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

lil off topic but doe's anyone had problem like I do....
When car stays on the sun and heats up driver side window panel doesn't operate after some time its good again...
What to do?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
burger16b's Avatar
3
Rep
258
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: LI, NY, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS
lil off topic but doe's anyone had problem like I do....
When car stays on the sun and heats up driver side window panel doesn't operate after some time its good again...
What to do?
I had a similar problem the switch got a lil wet when it was raining and i had the window cracked to let air in. It would work sporadically with different weather then. Replaced the switch and now it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #6
sochermit
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
574
Posts

 
Drives: 2003 325i, 2012 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canyon Lake, TX

iTrader: (0)

Is this 1/4inch drop just for convertibles or coups or all bmw's?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Exite
Private
Exite's Avatar
1
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Oahu

iTrader: (0)

My car which is a coupe the window rolls down a little when you open the door. So not just for verts. If I remember correctly the 335i loaner sedan I had once had framed windows and they did not roll down when opening door. So I believe only frameless windows roll down slightly when opening door.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
37
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exite View Post
My car which is a coupe the window rolls down a little when you open the door. So not just for verts. If I remember correctly the 335i loaner sedan I had once had framed windows and they did not roll down when opening door. So I believe only frameless windows roll down slightly when opening door.
Yeah that's correct. Only vehicles with frameless windows (i.e. coupe's and convertibles) need the window to roll down slightly.


On a related note, has anyone ever had the issue where the window will randomly roll down like past halfway when opening the door for no reason?

99% of the time it will only roll down those few centimetres but every now and then it rolls down almost all the way. I have an 08 E88.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #9
kb135
Private First Class
kb135's Avatar
Australia
5
Rep
120
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Alpine white
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Yeah that's correct. Only vehicles with frameless windows (i.e. coupe's and convertibles) need the window to roll down slightly.


On a related note, has anyone ever had the issue where the window will randomly roll down like past halfway when opening the door for no reason?

99% of the time it will only roll down those few centimetres but every now and then it rolls down almost all the way. I have an 08 E88.
Hi Yes I have. I notice it happens only when I double-click the open button on my remote then open the door - it rolls down most, but not all, of the way. not sure what that function is for... It goes all the way up once i close the door though.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
vegas_beemer
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 135i Convertible
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Great tip, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
vodycolk
Registered
vodycolk's Avatar
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

This can also be done using INPA.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #12
Edogg218
Second Lieutenant
Edogg218's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
209
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Portsmouth, NH

iTrader: (1)

This worked great for me! Thanks!
__________________
2008 SGM/Coral Red 135i
2011 335d Space grey
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
MuNkY6913
The Crowing
MuNkY6913's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,492
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: State College, PA

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
Hope it works.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #14
marfcus6510
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 BMW 128i, 2007 e92
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Houston TX

iTrader: (0)

Window moves but not all the way up.

Hi Everyone,

I just installed a new window regulator on my driver door. I moves smoothly and has the 1/2 inch (ish) movement when I open the door, but it is still a 1/4 inch too low.

Example: When the door is closed and the window is "up", it is actually in the position it should be if the door was open. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #15
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,386
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by marfcus6510 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just installed a new window regulator on my driver door. I moves smoothly and has the 1/2 inch (ish) movement when I open the door, but it is still a 1/4 inch too low.

Example: When the door is closed and the window is "up", it is actually in the position it should be if the door was open. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks everyone!
did you solve this?
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #16
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
245
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2008

iTrader: (0)

I just started having a similar issue. The drive side window is stopping about 3/4" above where it should when rolled down. I can push it down another 1/4" in the track but then it stops. When rolling up, the window will hit the top of the doorframe and then back off to ~1/2 way between up and down. Doing the reset procedure hasn't seemed to affect the behavior and after trying a few times the window will stop responding to switch input for ~30 minutes. I'm wondering if just because the window has forgotten where it should be or if there is something else wrong
__________________
135i Coupe-Manual, Montego, Lemon, HG Black, sport, premium, CA, HiFi, Ipod/USB, heated seats
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 03:43 PM   #17
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
andrey_gta's Avatar
Canada
54
Rep
3,386
Posts

 
Drives: 130i coupé ;)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Bimmerpost

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
I just started having a similar issue. The drive side window is stopping about 3/4" above where it should when rolled down. I can push it down another 1/4" in the track but then it stops. When rolling up, the window will hit the top of the doorframe and then back off to ~1/2 way between up and down. Doing the reset procedure hasn't seemed to affect the behavior and after trying a few times the window will stop responding to switch input for ~30 minutes. I'm wondering if just because the window has forgotten where it should be or if there is something else wrong
I'll try to help you. The window reset procedure is all ou need, unless you modified the window regulator.

the 30 second to 2 min time out is normal, i recall turning off the car & locking doors helped speed up the recovery.

Try the reset procedure but hold the down and up longer.
__________________
128i Sport 6MT converted to Euro 130i spec, tuned by evolve ~220 whp 207 wtq(ft-lb) SAE
In-progress: e36M lip Wishlist: //M front arm, coils, n55 eng mnt, headers, LSD, e60 finn diff


"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
johngrossi
Second Lieutenant
johngrossi's Avatar
3
Rep
243
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i e82
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

Good Info! This is also valid for most other vehicles I have needed to do this on
__________________
PE exhaust, tints...more to come
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
Maine1
Private First Class
United_States
1
Rep
163
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Scarborough, Maine

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovesax08 View Post
I just started having a similar issue. The drive side window is stopping about 3/4" above where it should when rolled down. I can push it down another 1/4" in the track but then it stops. When rolling up, the window will hit the top of the doorframe and then back off to ~1/2 way between up and down. Doing the reset procedure hasn't seemed to affect the behavior and after trying a few times the window will stop responding to switch input for ~30 minutes. I'm wondering if just because the window has forgotten where it should be or if there is something else wrong
I have exactly the same problem - how did you resolve it?
__________________

Blue Water 135i
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST