BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2009, 05:27 PM   #23
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Send a message via AIM to amsfoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt View Post
sorry for

but what IC did you install?
Intercooler is stock, just removed the middle grill.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #24
amsfoto
photographer
Ireland
Rep

Drives: AW e92 335i, JB 135i

Send a message via AIM to amsfoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Baby's sitting snug in the garage today - even with great snows on it's not worth the risk if you don't absolutley have to.

You're playing roulette trying drive in winter weather with the stock run flats. One day you may be kicking yourself hard for not springing for snows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlBel1214 View Post
even on perfectly clear days but when the temp was below 40... that and the fact when I hit 70+ MPH I could feel the grip just getting lost...
Not sure if you guys missed my OP, but I don't drive in the snow with the car, I just had to get it out of the driveway and ended up getting stuck on my street.

I don't understand how you people are losing traction in simply cold dry weather. Even if I went WOT and tugged the wheel back and forth my tires would still grip. We got two snows here in MD this winter, and I haven't driven in either for obvious reasons.

How about the people that live in climates that get below freezing in the evening, then get to 80+ during the day? Should they swap wheels and tires twice a day just to be "safe"?

I understand where some of you are coming from, I'm not an irrational person, but I seriously feel as though there is no danger in driving on summer tires in 40f and below temps in the dry. I feel as though many of you just read that you shouldn't do it, spent the money, and then blow it out of proportion. Those of us who actually have driven through the winter with these tires would know. I would love to get an expert to chime in...someone who knows tires and their limits (but isnt trying to sell us something).
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 05:50 PM   #25
TP 135i
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 135i SGM MT

Garage List
I understood your original post....
I was just pointing out that the summer tire compounds stay way too hard below 40 F.
I, for one, wasn't aware of that fact until this winter. I've never driven cars with enough power for it to matter.
I think I have always used All-Season tiires in the past. Big Difference

2008 135i SGM
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #26
gtaday51
gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep

Drives: gone 135 - Hello 1M!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsfoto View Post
How about the people that live in climates that get below freezing in the evening, then get to 80+ during the day? Should they swap wheels and tires twice a day just to be "safe"?

I understand where some of you are coming from, I'm not an irrational person, but I seriously feel as though there is no danger in driving on summer tires in 40f and below temps in the dry. I feel as though many of you just read that you shouldn't do it, spent the money, and then blow it out of proportion. Those of us who actually have driven through the winter with these tires would know. I would love to get an expert to chime in...someone who knows tires and their limits (but isnt trying to sell us something).

I live in NY and I had my stock Bridgestones on throught the month of December and half of January. I almost got into an accident after having to avoid some jackass who tried to blindside me. I ended in a 70 mph drift on the Meadowbrook Parkway and I said to myself that that was enough.

About a week ago the same thing happened to me while I was riding on my Pirelli 240s. Emergency lane change at 75? No extra shenanigans.

They make a serious difference. And thats all i'm going to say about that.

Ohh and that first idea is just stupid. No offense, winter tires are meant for areas with winter and summer tires are meant for ares with summer. Its why they have those names.

Ohh, and I called Bridgestone and they even say that the Potenzas are not to be used in sub-40 degree weather.
      03-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #27
AlBel1214
Major
Rep

Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

You could have given me my winter tires for free and I would still tell you the traction and ride quality is 10x better on cold roads than the stock tires...

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #28
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
yeah driving in snow in a rear wheel drive car sucks haha..

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Drives: 128i Sedona Red

damn just look at all that snow on those tires O_O
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #30
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep

Drives: E90 335i LCI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
I've owned a 350z and G35 Coupe with summer tires and endured 4 winters with those cars, and they are just as bad, if not worse than the 135 in the snow. In any condition except packed ice, any set of summer tires have acceptable grip as long as you're not going crazy. The key here is to use common sense given the conditions and drive accordingly. Granted, in the NY Metro area, we get MAYBE 2-3 bad snowstorms a year, and the city is very good about getting salt on the ground so the conditions are drivable. The worst part is digging your car out, but once you do that, it's no problem. Any packed snow deeper than 1 inch though, you can forget about it. Wait until it melts or the road gets salted before you take any RWD car with summer tires out.

FYI, after I dug my 135 out this morning, it was smooth sailing on the Hutchinson and then the Sprain (Hutch has the best twisties for a NY metro highway, and the Sprain has the the best open roads).
      03-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #31
peppebmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2010 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow

I put Dunlop Wintersport M3's on my car but won't drive it in the snowy conditions we had the other day here in CT. I can't justify putting the car away for the whole winter but I certainly will not take a chance driving in a snowstorm with all the idiot drivers out there!

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #32
Bones13
Private
Rep

Drives: 2009 128i BSM/Coral

No snow in this part of Alabama, I will have the top down on my Lexus this afternoon on the way home.

My 128i moved from "on order" to "awaiting production" today Should be a nice Easter for me.
Navigation/Premium Audio/USB/iPod
Heated Seats/Xenon/Bike Prep
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #33
DirrtysAnchez335i
BeAsT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep

Drives: e92 bmw 335i

damn.... must be cold over there...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #34
schleppcar
Speed Camera Hater
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 Z4 3.0 Deep Sea Blue/Tan

I've learned to have respect for the right tires - now more than ever. I grew up in Chicago - and back in the 70's most of the big American cars were tanks and rear wheel drive too. Driving in the winter was never a joy but it was doable simply because of the tires - rear wheel drive was normal so you never heard anyone gasp in awe at your audacity if you told them you were piloting a rwd in the winter time. Speaking of tires - here's another interesting observation: rain. The tires they make today do a much better job of displacing water than they used to - which is why there is so much spray on the interstates. In the old days - it didn't look like a fogbank cranking down the highway - nowadays everyone makes huge vapor clouds.

Life is way too short to skip good times when they come along!
Appreciate 0