BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-01-2009, 12:17 AM   #1
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
My best mod yet (MadDad axleback)

I know, this post would be better with pics and video. I'll get to that in a few days hopefully, at least pics.

I'm scheduled to have the finishing touches on my mainly cosmetic mods completed next week. But when UPS arrived with my MadDad polished tip axleback today I just couldn't resist installing it.

I looked it over, jacked up my car and worked on it a few minutes myself but decided to just run down and find someone with a lift to finish the job. Everyone was very impressed with the quality. Just a 2 sec slight adjustment to one of the mounting rods has it centered perfectly. All clearances were perfect. The weight change is nice, the stocker is nearly twice as heavy.

I'm not sure what impressed me the most. The look is very good. These stainless tips are huge, maybe a little "ricer" to some but overall I'd just say it looks intimidating. I'll go more into the sound which is great, but I was most impressed with the seemingly improved performance. It may just be the increased noise, but I'd swear my turbos are spooling much smoother. It even seemed that I was getting substantially more "whooshing" from my Injen instake. Definitely the performance increase vastly trumped what I gained from the intake alone.

As far as sound goes, I'd say the easiest way to describe it this practically doubled the noise level from the exhaust. It's definitely a much bigger sound increase than the golf tee mod, but similar to maybe a doubling or tripling that effect. It's a nice deep near rumble. It's not crazy though, I got in the car after working out and didn't notice the sound difference for a few seconds. I guess it's similar to driving the One in a garage. It reminded me a mid 90's Corvette. It's definitely not obnoxious, not as loud as your average Mustang, etc.

I'll try to get videos before I install downpipes but in my mind the videos that I've heard so far on all exhausts are really confusing. I think we'll really have to hear an exhaust in person to really know what we'll get. I'll also try to update this post anytime I get a chance to hear a different aftermarket One exhaust.

Btw, I don't have a tune. I'm sure that is by far the best mod for these cars. Maybe coilovers will be a big improvement too. But so far MadDad has impressed me although I'm not sure that other axlebacks wouldn't have been just as if not more impressive. I think I'll like it even more with downpipes, although it will probably be a little loud for long trips then.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
wuX2
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 08 jet black 135i

Thanks for the review - sounds like it is very well made. Any drone?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #3
M3R1
Major
Rep
Drives: 09' Space Grey 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I know, this post would be better with pics and video. I'll get to that in a few days hopefully, at least pics.

I'm scheduled to have the finishing touches on my mainly cosmetic mods completed next week. But when UPS arrived with my MadDad polished tip axleback today I just couldn't resist installing it.

I looked it over, jacked up my car and worked on it a few minutes myself but decided to just run down and find someone with a lift to finish the job. Everyone was very impressed with the quality. Just a 2 sec slight adjustment to one of the mounting rods has it centered perfectly. All clearances were perfect. The weight change is nice, the stocker is nearly twice as heavy.

I'm not sure what impressed me the most. The look is very good. These stainless tips are huge, maybe a little "ricer" to some but overall I'd just say it looks intimidating. I'll go more into the sound which is great, but I was most impressed with the seemingly improved performance. It may just be the increased noise, but I'd swear my turbos are spooling much smoother. It even seemed that I was getting substantially more "whooshing" from my Injen instake. Definitely the performance increase vastly trumped what I gained from the intake alone.

As far as sound goes, I'd say the easiest way to describe it this practically doubled the noise level from the exhaust. It's definitely a much bigger sound increase than the golf tee mod, but similar to maybe a doubling or tripling that effect. It's a nice deep near rumble. It's not crazy though, I got in the car after working out and didn't notice the sound difference for a few seconds. I guess it's similar to driving the One in a garage. It reminded me a mid 90's Corvette. It's definitely not obnoxious, not as loud as your average Mustang, etc.

I'll try to get videos before I install downpipes but in my mind the videos that I've heard so far on all exhausts are really confusing. I think we'll really have to hear an exhaust in person to really know what we'll get. I'll also try to update this post anytime I get a chance to hear a different aftermarket One exhaust.

Btw, I don't have a tune. I'm sure that is by far the best mod for these cars. Maybe coilovers will be a big improvement too. But so far MadDad has impressed me although I'm not sure that other axlebacks wouldn't have been just as if not more impressive. I think I'll like it even more with downpipes, although it will probably be a little loud for long trips then.
Pics are mandatory!!!

05-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Eurofan
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Pics!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

Sound clips would be nice. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My One is auto and I haven't noticed any droning yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
Eurofan
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikelol View Post
Thanks for the review - sounds like it is very well made. Any drone?
X2
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
LemansE82
Formally known as xXxMLEExXx.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurofan View Post
X2
x3..

Is there droning?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
ronnyek
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Evo MR Touring

Daddy has been building fantastic exhausts for the subaru world for a long time... I've spent a LOT of money on stuff from him =) divorced wastegate downpipe was of the upmost quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Send a message via MSN to miro2296 Send a message via Yahoo to miro2296
you asked for it:

BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #11
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

I am down in Warner Robins and I wish I could get to hear that exhaust of yours Eyeman. I would like to meet up so I can hear it in person but I am going to be out of town next week.

Hit me up with a PM and post up the pics and vids.
      05-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
For sure I'll get pics once I get to my camera this weekend but of course it looks just like in the buildup posts except mine has brushed stainless tips. A good pic would just be taking the MadDad pics and putting it side by side with stock, you'll see how much bigger the tips are. I don't have a good video method, probably will just get a quick cam phone video but I'd say the sound seems a little deeper and a little less raspy than the buildup videos.

I now think I'll wait a few weeks or maybe months before I install my downpipes so anyone around Atlanta that wants to hear it without downpipes should have a some time. PM me and we'll meet up.

Two days of driving and I'm still shocked how much an axleback helps performance. It's probably that low end torque increase that Berk showed with their pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
LemansE82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
For sure I'll get pics once I get to my camera this weekend but of course it looks just like in the buildup posts except mine has brushed stainless tips. A good pic would just be taking the MadDad pics and putting it side by side with stock, you'll see how much bigger the tips are. I don't have a good video method, probably will just get a quick cam phone video but I'd say the sound seems a little deeper and a little less raspy than the buildup videos.

I now think I'll wait a few weeks or maybe months before I install my downpipes so anyone around Atlanta that wants to hear it without downpipes should have a some time. PM me and we'll meet up.

Two days of driving and I'm still shocked how much an axleback helps performance. It's probably that low end torque increase that Berk showed with their pipe.
How's in cabin drone if any?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 06:45 AM   #14
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
You know...but what is the POINT of posting this WITHOUT pics? I mean c'mon guys it takes 2 min to take a quick photo and then take the little chip and plug into your computer! The time it took to write the review could have been spent taking a pic! Ok, ok....maybe I am just a little jealous that you got yours....and that i STILL have not heard anything from Rich.....LOL...review gives me hope that my patience for this will be rewarded soon....
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #15
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB LCI M2

Does this help..

https://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/pro...9&cat=2&page=1
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
MadMan77
↓↓↓ Ex-Con ↓↓↓
Guam
Rep
Drives: Jet Black '08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Those are the pictures of the last test axle-back that he received. It was changed slightly before put into production and we just have not got to see the updated pics sound clips.
      05-02-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Maddad pics

Got my camera and snapped some pics (I don't have a video camera phone like most do these days). I like the stainless with my BSM, shadowline diffuser, and Volks. I'll install KW's and go about 1" lower and I'm done.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #18
bimmerboy
Captain
Rep

NICE! that thing looks badass, can you hear any turbo spool now?
      05-03-2009, 12:29 AM   #19
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Yup, combined with my Injen intake, the turbos are more noticeable and throttle response definitely seems better. I'm glad I tried just the axleback. Now when I add downpipes I know how much difference each part makes.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #20
LemansE82
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup, combined with my Injen intake, the turbos are more noticeable and throttle response definitely seems better. I'm glad I tried just the axleback. Now when I add downpipes I know how much difference each part makes.

Is there any drone with this system?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2009, 07:40 AM   #21
M3R1
Major
Rep
Drives: 09' Space Grey 135i

Wow, looks awesome!!!
      05-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #22
ruffstik
BMWCCA #403912
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Nice Big Pipes you got there!
2008/135i/BSM/Red Coral/Sport & Premium Packages/Heated Seats/Charcoal CF Fabric Wrapped Trim/35% Ceramic Tint/M Door Sills/De-Badged/M Logo Black License Plate Frame /Shadowline Kidney Grills/OEM 264 Powder Coated Gunmetal Wheels/BMW Performance Exhaust/COBB Tune/COBB Catted Downpipes/AFE CAI
Appreciate 0