BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #89
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
I'm not questioning that. If that is true it applies to all M Sports.

My point was that the is no such thing as getting a 135i in "full M spec" with extra secret goodies. Regardless of what Stoutnj believes, he has the ZMP.
Well, it would apply to all M sports if they are 2011, cause M sport before 2011 had the same suspension as the standard 135i in "sport pkg" or "M sport pkg." I have a 2009 and the M sport did not have a different suspension.

There have been comments in some reviews discussing suspension changes for the new 2011, but I don't recall the articles specifically stating that only M sport having different suspension tuning.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #90
felixcat
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: TX

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Hmmm...could this have changed for 2011? As I said in my previous post, the sales brochure for the 2011 specifically says that "The M Sport chassis is lowered by 0.6" for tighter handling when cornering and a more aggressive look."

So I asked Joern Esser, my salesman at Passport, who put me in touch with Roland Pintilie, Passport's Master Shop Foreman. Mr. Pintilie (an extremenly nice guy!) wrote to me to say that he researched the technical manuals for me, and that "M suspension would be 10mm lower in the front and rear, the spring ratio, shock absorbers and stabilizer bars are different parts from the regular sport package."

So it appears that, for 2011, at least, there's a difference between the Sport and M Sport suspensions. I went with M Sport.

Oh, by the way, greetings all! I just ordered a 135i convertible in Space Gray with Moonlight top and Savannah Beige interior (and EVERY SINGLE option offered!), for Euro Delivery. I go to Germany in August to drive the car.

Looking forward to getting a lot of great info from this board!
Please take a look at the specification on the BMW official website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...fications.aspx

It states that the height of 128i is 56 inch, and the 135i is 55.4 inch. The 135i has sport suspension as standard so that's why all 135i are 0.6 inch lower than 128i. I guess this is what the sales brochure means. You don't need to get any package to decrease that 0.6 inch, once you ordered a 135i, the '0.6 inch lower' is standard.

I also asked my SA to check the suspension's part number for 2011 135i. He took 2 different 135i in their stock (one has M sport and the other doesn't), and look at the part label sticker on them, result: they are all the same.

In fact, if M sport is another 10mm lower than the regular sport, you can definitely visually tell the height difference for the M sport 135i.
felixcat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 07:55 AM   #91
FJUNO78
Captain
 
FJUNO78's Avatar
 
Drives: 25 to 2
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: staten island, NY

Posts: 885
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well, it would apply to all M sports if they are 2011, cause M sport before 2011 had the same suspension as the standard 135i in "sport pkg" or "M sport pkg." I have a 2009 and the M sport did not have a different suspension.

There have been comments in some reviews discussing suspension changes for the new 2011, but I don't recall the articles specifically stating that only M sport having different suspension tuning.
agreed. my point is there is only one "M sport package"... ZMP... The one he got is mass produced and is identical to every other ZMP for that model year. Regardless of what he thinks, or was led to believe, he is not driving a rare car with different specs.
__________________
2010 135i - Alpine White - Coral Red- Glacier Trim - Bluetooth - ///M Sport - Paddle Shifters
FJUNO78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #92
FJUNO78
Captain
 
FJUNO78's Avatar
 
Drives: 25 to 2
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: staten island, NY

Posts: 885
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Dude give me a break M-spec is what my dealer called it... (M-Sport) It means there is a lot of M parts they put on the car....

PS- FJUNO78 ur garage show a 3 u might want to update that... ... .. ..

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but our cars are not ///M cars.

The ///M package is a cosmetic package. I liked the wheels and black headliner better than the standard ones. I would prefer if the ///M badges werent even on the car to be honest... Kind of a poser move imo.
__________________
2010 135i - Alpine White - Coral Red- Glacier Trim - Bluetooth - ///M Sport - Paddle Shifters
FJUNO78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #93
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
So I asked Joern Esser, my salesman at Passport, who put me in touch with Roland Pintilie, Passport's Master Shop Foreman. Mr. Pintilie (an extremenly nice guy!) wrote to me to say that he researched the technical manuals for me, and that "M suspension would be 10mm lower in the front and rear, the spring ratio, shock absorbers and stabilizer bars are different parts from the regular sport package."
That's a perfect description of the dealer-installed Performance suspension, not the factory-installed M Sport suspension.

adding: I would be so proud of BMW if they made the Performance Suspension a factory option. So I hope your dealer is right, but I doubt it.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by GaryS; 06-18-2010 at 09:13 AM.
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 09:14 AM   #94
Thud
Throbbing Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but our cars are not ///M cars.

The ///M package is a cosmetic package. I liked the wheels and black headliner better than the standard ones. I would prefer if the ///M badges werent even on the car to be honest... Kind of a poser move imo.
It's equivalent to audi's "s-line."

My 2008 has the ///M badges on the wheel and shifter, but in 2008 you got that with the sport package anyway, since there was no separate M-sport package. I do wish I had the black headliner though... that may be the only thing that pushes me toward the M-sport package on my next car if it's a BMW. And Le Mans blue.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Thud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 09:33 AM   #95
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
My 2008 has the ///M badges on the wheel and shifter, but in 2008 you got that with the sport package anyway,
That is still true 2009-2011. The regular Sport Package gets the M steering wheel and shift knob.
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #96
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2013 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 1,557
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Hmmm...could this have changed for 2011? As I said in my previous post, the sales brochure for the 2011 specifically says that "The M Sport chassis is lowered by 0.6" for tighter handling when cornering and a more aggressive look."

So I asked Joern Esser, my salesman at Passport, who put me in touch with Roland Pintilie, Passport's Master Shop Foreman. Mr. Pintilie (an extremenly nice guy!) wrote to me to say that he researched the technical manuals for me, and that "M suspension would be 10mm lower in the front and rear, the spring ratio, shock absorbers and stabilizer bars are different parts from the regular sport package."

So it appears that, for 2011, at least, there's a difference between the Sport and M Sport suspensions. I went with M Sport.

Oh, by the way, greetings all! I just ordered a 135i convertible in Space Gray with Moonlight top and Savannah Beige interior (and EVERY SINGLE option offered!), for Euro Delivery. I go to Germany in August to drive the car.

Looking forward to getting a lot of great info from this board!
This is music to my ears. I had a really hard time finding any solid info on this. Thanks for digging deep.
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #97
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,150
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
It's equivalent to audi's "s-line."

My 2008 has the ///M badges on the wheel and shifter, but in 2008 you got that with the sport package anyway, since there was no separate M-sport package. I do wish I had the black headliner though... that may be the only thing that pushes me toward the M-sport package on my next car if it's a BMW. And Le Mans blue.
I wish we got the anthracite headliner and Le Mans Blue in 2008 as well, but I'm still happy to have Sparkling Graphite Metallic.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #98
egainer
Private
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
It's equivalent to audi's "s-line."

My 2008 has the ///M badges on the wheel and shifter, but in 2008 you got that with the sport package anyway, since there was no separate M-sport package. I do wish I had the black headliner though... that may be the only thing that pushes me toward the M-sport package on my next car if it's a BMW. And Le Mans blue.
Audi S-line gives the S4 bumpers, skirts, and rear. And on the a5, gives it the S5 bumpers, skirts, and rear.

A little different from m sport package since it doesn't change the way the car looks.

I would buy a bmw with only sport package, would not buy an audi without S-line (and I didn't, which is why I got the 135i instead of an A5. (s-line package is only available with prestige package, which raises the cost of the car too much for me)
egainer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #99
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
 
NewYearsBoy's Avatar
 
Drives: IS 300
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bradenton FL

Posts: 2,365
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I know its not an M car but I have push the limits with my 135i on the Highway and kept up with a vert. M3.. The 135i is kinda like a M3 and a 335i had sex and this is what you got... The last thing I have to say its is a very impressive car... Good luck to all..
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
NewYearsBoy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 01:56 PM   #100
FJUNO78
Captain
 
FJUNO78's Avatar
 
Drives: 25 to 2
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: staten island, NY

Posts: 885
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 135i  [0.00]
2007 e92 328I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
I know its not an M car but I have push the limits with my 135i on the Highway and kept up with a vert. M3.. The 135i is kinda like a M3 and a 335i had sex and this is what you got... The last thing I have to say its is a very impressive car... Good luck to all..
No doubt the 135i is a very impressive car. It's peak torque comes on hard and fast, when a M3's does not. The M3 shines at high rpm's when our cars fart out. That coupled with the M3's super rigid suspension puts it in a different league.


The added weight that the vert gives the M3 would probably make the it a touch slower than our cars.

I have spent some time behind the wheel of an M3, and I enjoy the 135i way more for day to day driving. If I was lapping the Nurburgring, I would choose the M3 without a doubt.
__________________
2010 135i - Alpine White - Coral Red- Glacier Trim - Bluetooth - ///M Sport - Paddle Shifters
FJUNO78 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #101
Thud
Throbbing Member
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jan 2008

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by egainer View Post
A little different from m sport package since it doesn't change the way the car looks.
Except for the wheels.
Also, in the 3-series, the M-sport gets you different front and rear bodywork vs. the regular sport package, though the suspension, seats, and steering wheel are the same.

Quote:
I would buy a bmw with only sport package, would not buy an audi without S-line (and I didn't, which is why I got the 135i instead of an A5. (s-line package is only available with prestige package, which raises the cost of the car too much for me)
The only Audi I'm looking at right now is the S4... so it's a full-on "s" package, although somewhat watered down from previous generation "s" cars, even though it actually performs better.
__________________
2011 335d / Deep Sea Blue / Saddle brown / sport / premium

Previous cars:
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Thud is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 10:08 PM   #102
M34lnch
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West LA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
Hmmm...could this have changed for 2011? As I said in my previous post, the sales brochure for the 2011 specifically says that "The M Sport chassis is lowered by 0.6" for tighter handling when cornering and a more aggressive look."
When compared to a premium package only car? Or when compared to a sport package car....?
M34lnch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #103
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJUNO78 View Post
agreed. my point is there is only one "M sport package"... ZMP... The one he got is mass produced and is identical to every other ZMP for that model year. Regardless of what he thinks, or was led to believe, he is not driving a rare car with different specs.
I get 'cha.
Yes...unless BMW did do something different this time...
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #104
M34lnch
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West LA

Posts: 124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinmagic View Post
The 2011 1 Series Convertible sales brochure/book seems to show a suspension difference for the M Sport Package. In the M Sport description, there's a pic of a car. Under it, it says: "The Aerodynamic kit includes a front air dam with generous air intakes, dynamic side skirts and an athletic rear spoiler. The M Sport chassis is lowered by 0.6" for tighter handling when cornering and a more aggressive look..." That same language isn't in the description of the Sport Package.

Forgive my ignorance, but if the chassis is lowered, I'm assuming the ride will be harsher. Correct?

Can anyone shed any light on this? I may be ordering mine today.
I dont mean to be a nay-sayer, but at least in this brochure, it doesnt say anything about lowering... http://resource.bmwusa.com/ebooks/bd...-bd1b65c163f4/
M34lnch is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2010, 11:58 PM   #105
MOCKBA
Captain
 
MOCKBA's Avatar
 
Drives: 135 convertible
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SFBA

Posts: 867
iTrader: (0)

I assume you can afford any, so obviously M sport.
__________________

135i/cabrio/p/s/c
MediaChest is iTunesLess way of iPod managing
MOCKBA is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #106
CarForHire
Major
 
CarForHire's Avatar
 
Drives: Slow in the left lane.
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NOVA

Posts: 1,298
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 328i  [0.00]
I didn't read all the posts, but think about this. If you ever decided to sell the car, the majority of people who want ZSP would want your ZMP, but those looking for ZMP only will move on.
__________________
Race car driving is like sex...all men think they are good at it. - Jay Leno
CarForHire is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST