BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Let's Remove The Airbox

Tools Required
6mm socket and wrench
flatblade screwdriver

To remove the airbox, you will first need to remove the cover. The cover is held in place by 5 metal clips. To remove the cover, simply slide the top of the clip away from the cover. With all 5 clips un-clipped, you can remove the cover.

The arrows indicate the position of the 5 clips

With the cover removed, you can remove the air filter. The filter just sits in place, lift it out to remove it and set it in a clean place.

With the air filter removed, you will also want to disconnect the vacuum line at the front of the airbox. To remove it, simply pinch the sides at the base, and lift up.

Remove the intake tube by sliding it toward the front of the car. On each side, there is a clip that you need to get over before it will slide. You may need to use a small flat blade screwdriver to get the tube over the clips.

With the larger intake hose disconnected, you can remove the hose located below it. Using a flatblade screwdriver or a 6mm socket, loosen the nut on the hose clamp. You do not need to remove the clamp, it just needs to be loose. Once it is loose, you can slide the hose toward the front of the car and off the airbox.

At the back of the airbox is a second hose that is similar. To remove the rear hose, you may need to remove the cable carrier located above the airbox. The cable carrier is secured by 3 clips. To remove the carrier, you will need to push down the lock at the center of each clip and then slide the carrier forward. You will have enough slack in the carrier that you will be able to do them one at a time. In the lower left corner is a close-up of one clip.

Follow the three, cable leads from the carrier down along the airbox. Right near the rear hose, you will find that the cables are secured to the airbox with rubber ties. To disconnect the wires from the side of the airbox, you will need to slide each of the rubber ties up. They are seated on male prongs that are built on the side of the airbox. They are not easy to remove.

With the cable carrier removed, you can disconnect the rear hose from the airbox. It is the same hose that you removed at the front of the airbox.

With all the hoses disconnected from the airbox, you can now remove the airbox from the car. The airbox is fitted to the car by 3 male tabs. One at the front (near the passenger side corner not visible in the picture below) and 2 at the rear. They are located on the outside of the airbox. To remove the airbox, lift it straight up. Work on one prong at a time. Like the rubber cable carrier tie downs, they can be a bit stubborn.

Installation is the reverse of removal.

If you use this, please post a thank you.
      06-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #2
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Great Info...like usual.

Are you installing an intake or staying stock?
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
AndyM
Lieutenant

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Great Info...like usual.

Are you installing an intake or staying stock?
Stock airbox. I had to take it out for installation of the gauge senders.
      06-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #4
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Gotcha
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      06-10-2009, 01:55 PM   #5
My135
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives:

Just the right timing, this is what I need to install an Injen intake on my 135 tonight. Thanks.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
      06-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Alow
First Lieutenant

Drives: 09 128i

Andy, your DIYs are top notch.
Alow is offline   United_States
      08-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
Luvmybmw
One Fast 1

Drives: '08 AW e82

Thank you!!! It went great, no issues! Your DIY was very good
      09-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Mega Man
エアーマンが倒せない

Drives: 2009 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
AndyM, love your DIYs. The pictures and descriptions are more than adequate for even a knuckle-head like me.
Mega Man is offline   United_States
      11-03-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
wolfson.tyler
Private First Class

Drives:

great post! thanks for the great write-up and photos
      05-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
twoturboz
Captain

Drives: fast

nice... this took a lot longer than i anticipated...... those rubber things were a bitch to get off.
      09-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
awns729
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

I find this guide to be more helpful than the BMS one. I would recommend following this if you can instead of removing the Cowl to get the rear intake clamp loose. Putting the cowl back on was rather difficult to get it to line up. There are four tabs that need to be seated correctly on the Cowl.
      03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
mrHellas
BMW Enthusiast

Drives: '09 N54-135i M-Sport, 6MT

This DIY was infinitely useful; Way better than ones provided by intake manufacturers. Thank you so much AndyM ... I owe you one.

So far : LCI Blacklines, BMS LED 6000K AE's, Smoked LED side signals, BMS DCI, VMR 19's, 3mm spacers
Soon : Kerscher front, rear, & side M skirts, aFe red scoops, white "Munich" racing stripes, BMW performance exhaust, 1Addicts.com decals, + many more. ;-)
mrHellas is offline   United_States