BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

06-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
wannatripp
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 Apline White "Machine"3

service questions?

BMW took care of 1200 mile service no problem.... my question is... when is the next schedule service... I'm sitting at 11,000 plus miles and i figured to set up a oil change service. I took my car the the dealership and he stated the car is not ready for service? He told me each car runs differently and is schedule to come in for oil change base on how hard we drive it and the oil status... this is crazy... also he told me he just service another M-3 at 18000 miles....

My question agian is.... when is the BMW factory warrentee regualer schedule maintiance? what is the mile breakdown? for free services?

On top of that... just for me maintaining my car... I actually took the car in at 5400 miles and paid 200 plus dallors for a supplenment oil change cuase i thouhgt waiting till 10,000 miles is crazy... now... they state they cant change my oil becuase the computer says its not rdy?

help... any facts or rules or warrantees that bmw makes there dealers obey too in regards to maintiance?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

If I remember correctly, warranty covers oil changes every 15,000 miles or once a year.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Seems like they reset your computer; they shouldn't have done that. But as Sg said, it's pretty much at 15K miles or one year, whichever comes first. If you get to 15K before the year (when THEY did the oil change), talk to the service advisor and tell him you're at 15K miles since your last scheduled visit, and they should change it. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
If I remember correctly, warranty covers oil changes every 15,000 miles or once a year.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Seems like they reset your computer; they shouldn't have done that. But as Sg said, it's pretty much at 15K miles or one year, whichever comes first. If you get to 15K before the year (when THEY did the oil change), talk to the service advisor and tell him you're at 15K miles since your last scheduled visit, and they should change it. Good luck.

Actually, they are supposed to reset the oil service indicator at the run-in service. If they did not, the yellow or red service due lights would stay on. After it is reset at 1200 miles, the counter resets to 15K and starts to count down. So, next service (in theory) would be due around 16,200 miles. Probably less in an M3 that gets driven like it is supposed to.

To the OP, you will have to wait until it has been 1 year since the 1200 service was performed, or the service indicator gets below 1000 miles. Go into "info sources" in the i-drive menu and check service info. It will tell you how many miles until oil service is due. If you don't have i-drive, it will be in the turn signal stalk menu.

And to answer your question, no, they cannot perform the service ahead of schedule because BMW will not reimburse them if they do so. Technically, you are supposed to get the oil service when the indicator reads "0", but they can do it if you are at "1000" or below.

What does the indicator read right now?
      06-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Actually, they are supposed to reset the oil service indicator at the run-in service.
Indeed. I was referring to the 'extra' oil change the OP paid for buddy (and 15K miles AFTER the first oil change too). I'm correct that they shouldn't have reset the system when the customer pays for an extra oil change, no?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Service intervals

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannatripp View Post
BMW took care of 1200 mile service no problem.... my question is... when is the next schedule service... I'm sitting at 11,000 plus miles and i figured to set up a oil change service. I took my car the the dealership and he stated the car is not ready for service? He told me each car runs differently and is schedule to come in for oil change base on how hard we drive it and the oil status... this is crazy... also he told me he just service another M-3 at 18000 miles....

My question agian is.... when is the BMW factory warrentee regualer schedule maintiance? what is the mile breakdown? for free services?

On top of that... just for me maintaining my car... I actually took the car in at 5400 miles and paid 200 plus dallors for a supplenment oil change cuase i thouhgt waiting till 10,000 miles is crazy... now... they state they cant change my oil becuase the computer says its not rdy?

help... any facts or rules or warrantees that bmw makes there dealers obey too in regards to maintiance?
As BMWM.D. referred to, there are no set maintenance intervals; read about "Condition Based Service" in your manual. Every time you start the car the miles estimated until the next service due and date show up in you screen in the instrument cluster for a few seconds. Or, you can check it in iDrive under "Info Sources\Service Info". Read the "Service requirements" section of you manual. If you check your SI you will probably see it is reading 5-6,000 miles, which is the mileage until the service is due. It will continue to count down to 0.

Mine is currently showing first service (besides 1,200) will come at 16,000 miles. I did an oil change at 7,500, but of course, the indicator is not reset for that.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

I thought 15k miles was a little long too so I took it upon myself to change the oil just last week. I was at 9k miles and honestly the oil was really clean for having 7800 miles on it. Just from visual inspection I think it actually could go 15k but I sent my sample to Blackstone for analysis just for a second opinion.
      06-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
wannatripp
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 Apline White "Machine"3

thanks guys.. understands the concept now.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Indeed. I was referring to the 'extra' oil change the OP paid for buddy (and 15K miles AFTER the first oil change too). I'm correct that they shouldn't have reset the system when the customer pays for an extra oil change, no?

You are correct, I misunderstood you. That would be considered a "low mileage" oil service and should not be reset. If they did it would throw off the warranty intervals, but that is all correctable. A quick check of the warranty history would clear things up.