BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
DakarDoug
Enlisted Member
DakarDoug's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dove Canyon, CA

iTrader: (0)

Air bag warning light

OK, my air bag warning light just came on. How to clear the fault? I don't have any water exposure so not sure where to even start. Appreciate any advice other than steering me toward the "stealer" for a fix.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 01:37 AM   #2
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
2
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: If you can't tell from my handle...

iTrader: (0)

is your car subject to the recall? i doubt your light is related, but if you're in line to get new parts maybe the dealer will fix it in the process of replacement?

besides that, have you tried getting the code read? autozone can do that (but they're not always the most useful in deciphering the codes), but an honest indy will read the code for you for free and perhaps offer a fix/quote while you're at it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
DakarDoug
Enlisted Member
DakarDoug's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dove Canyon, CA

iTrader: (0)

What is the recall you are referring to?

There is no code showing as it isn't engine related on the OBD II. Not even sure where to begin looking with this.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Texan Engineer
Private First Class
2
Rep
113
Posts

Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: If you can't tell from my handle...

iTrader: (0)

It's the massive Takata airbag recall - the one that dominated the car news for basically all of last year. It's very well documented, so plug your VIN into the BMW or government recall website to see if your car has an open recall. Last I heard, BMW still isn't shipping parts for it yet...

You're right, OBDII probably won't pick it up. You might try to find a shop that has Autologic or something similar. Those scanners can do just about anything on our German cars (including coding stuff out) - that might at least get you started to figure out what the problem is.
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Ric in RVA
Lieutenant
Ric in RVA's Avatar
240
Rep
555
Posts

Drives: '11 BSM 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Richmond VA

iTrader: (0)

If it is like any other BMW or mini it is most likely an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat.

Don't kneel (or any point load) in a seat as doesn't take much to mess the sensors up.

Let us know what you find.
__________________
Ric in RVA
10 3.0 X5 N52, 11 528i N52, 83 R80, 90 325is M50, 02 Mini Cooper S and 11 135i N55 M-Tech
BSM 135i Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Booey1979
Private
1
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i m-sport BBK 2piece
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ventura, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Engineer View Post
It's the massive Takata airbag recall - the one that dominated the car news for basically all of last year. It's very well documented, so plug your VIN into the BMW or government recall website to see if your car has an open recall. Last I heard, BMW still isn't shipping parts for it yet...

You're right, OBDII probably won't pick it up. You might try to find a shop that has Autologic or something similar. Those scanners can do just about anything on our German cars (including coding stuff out) - that might at least get you started to figure out what the problem is.
I have had those like 3x in the past 2 yrs of ownership. I left my water bottle drip and it triggered the light about two weeks ago. Reset it, and it didn't go clear away the last time cause it was wet. Last time it did clear it using the carley app. But after 1 day and a half it went away. No light now.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Booey1979
Private
1
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i m-sport BBK 2piece
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ventura, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric in RVA View Post
If it is like any other BMW or mini it is most likely an occupancy sensor in the passenger seat.

Don't kneel (or any point load) in a seat as doesn't take much to mess the sensors up.

Let us know what you find.
Yes it's very temperamental. I've reset it using the app and dongle when it's a pressure issue. The water issue didn't go away until it sufficiently dried I think.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
DakarDoug
Enlisted Member
DakarDoug's Avatar
United_States
1
Rep
46
Posts

Drives: '09 BMW 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dove Canyon, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booey1979 View Post
Yes it's very temperamental. I've reset it using the app and dongle when it's a pressure issue. The water issue didn't go away until it sufficiently dried I think.
What app are you using?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
phierce
Private
3
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 135
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: T.O.

iTrader: (0)

How did u clear I have same issues
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST