BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
stevenfaustin
Optimus Prime

Drives: Veyron 16.4 (BMW 128i)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
128i break-in period

Hey guys,

I just bought and drove home my first bimmer, a brand new 128i, on Monday and now I am spending my free time getting acquainted with the stack of manuals and reference guides it came with. The owner's manual mentions break-in very briefly and states that engine and differential break-in period is 1,200 miles. Should I possibly keep breaking-in longer than that, because i know the m3 fully breaks-in at 5,00mi. I am trying to accelerate EXTREMELY smoothly and it's torture not being able to rev past 3,000 or 4,000. Also, I am under BMW's new 4 year maintenance coverage, will they do any kind of service after 1,200 or 2,300mi?

Thanks
"The BMW M12/13 turbocharged straight-4 engine was famous during its life for being the first Formula 1 engine capable of 1000 hp in racing trim, although it was capable of nearly 1400hp for qualifying with modification of its boost. This engine had a bore and stroke of 89.2 x 60.0 mm, giving a displacement of 1,499.79 cc. Maximum crankshaft speed was 11,200 rpm. Peak power b.m.e.p. was in the region of 1,000 lbs/sq.in."
--Vierventil-Technik
stevenfaustin is offline   United_States
      08-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
singular
Captain

Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

No maintenance service is provided free until 15K miles or one year.

But many on this board are of the opinion that you should pay for additional oil changes, especially within the first year, if you intend to keep the car longer than the four years that are covered.
      08-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
shodanusmc
Captain

Drives: 09 135 Vert

I had my first oil Change at 4 months! Remember, it is a Twin Turbo......
      08-06-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
jkp1187
Unindicted co-conspirator

Drives: to work, mostly.

^ Well, the original poster doesn't have a twin turbo.....

I did a break-in oil change at ~ 1200 miles using BMW oil and filter kit. (Obtainable through your dealer or an online vendor, expect to pay ~ $60 for 7 qts of BMW oil and the filter.) It's very simple to do if you have a set of good ramps a drain pan and some basic tools. (DIYs are in this forum if you search.)

Mike Miller, tech guru for the BMWCCA and Bimmer magazine recommends also doing a change of the rear differential fluid as well as the manual transmission fluid (but not automatic transmissions,) at the same time. The rear diff does not have a drain plug, so you'll either have to have someone remove the entire differential cover (expect to pay ~ $500 for this,) or have them use an extractor to siphon the fluid out of the drain plug (~$150).

None of this is covered as part of your BMW free maintenance, so if you're leasing the car, you could probably skip all of this without noticing any ill effects. If you're planning on keeping the car for a longer period of time (as I am,) it might behoove you to do them.

You can get a free copy of Mike Miller's recommended "old school" maintenance schedule by e-mailing him at techtalk@roundel.org and asking him.
jkp1187 is offline   United_States