BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

What the heck was that squealing and clicking?!

Last night I went out to a show. Parked Orca and walked a few blocks to the venue. Several hours later, I came back, opened the doors and there was this insane loud buzzing/clicking/squealing sound from the backseat. Clearly the speakers were upset. No power was on!

Turned on the car, no change. Turned off the radio, no change. Turned off the car, got out, locked doors, reopened, got back in, no change. Made a call through bluetooth, no change. Unplugged my iPod connect cable, no change.

I was about an hour from home and it was nearly midnight. So we drove back with that insane noise driving me crazy. Resolved to drive straight to the dealer in the morning, considered calling roadside service and having it towed so that I wouldn't have to drive it there with that noise. Considered gouging my ears out. Resolved to pull all the fuses I could, even if I couldn't drive the car, until the stupid noise went away.

And then, about 5 miles from home, the cursed noise stopped. Blessed silence. I could hear my thoughts again. And the radio.

It was silent again this morning, so I just went to work until I figure out what to tell them when I bring it in. I checked the back speakers when I got home and music was coming out of them, so they weren't dead.

So, what is this and will it happen again or was it a freak thing?

amy!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
IndyMike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 VO 1 M/22 G42 Thundernight

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
Last night I went out to a show. Parked Orca and walked a few blocks to the venue. Several hours later, I came back, opened the doors and there was this insane loud buzzing/clicking/squealing sound from the backseat. Clearly the speakers were upset. No power was on!

Turned on the car, no change. Turned off the radio, no change. Turned off the car, got out, locked doors, reopened, got back in, no change. Made a call through bluetooth, no change. Unplugged my iPod connect cable, no change.

I was about an hour from home and it was nearly midnight. So we drove back with that insane noise driving me crazy. Resolved to drive straight to the dealer in the morning, considered calling roadside service and having it towed so that I wouldn't have to drive it there with that noise. Considered gouging my ears out. Resolved to pull all the fuses I could, even if I couldn't drive the car, until the stupid noise went away.

And then, about 5 miles from home, the cursed noise stopped. Blessed silence. I could hear my thoughts again. And the radio.

It was silent again this morning, so I just went to work until I figure out what to tell them when I bring it in. I checked the back speakers when I got home and music was coming out of them, so they weren't dead.

So, what is this and will it happen again or was it a freak thing?

amy!
Had viritually the same whacky experience a couple of weeks ago.

I was at the local dealer picking up some parts. Left it unattended about 15 minutes. When I came back and opened the door I could hear some freaky noise coming from the back speakers.

Went back into the building to clean the blood from my burst eardrums and use the facilities, and when I got back 5 minutes later it had stopped.

I took it as a sign that I need to stop buying parts, and since Ive adhered to that it hasn't happened again.

Actually, the dealership has a speaker system that is mounted atop the building and every so often it emits the sound of a bird of prey (owl?) that they use to keep their vehicles on the lot from being bombed and straffed by winged creatures.

So my theory is somehow the frequency of their system tapped into the electronics of the buggy. Why it then stopped I haven't clue one.

If you can't find a logical reason for your experience I'd suggest you contact The Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS) for a possible prospective future edition of their series.

"Before You, Lord, We Bow" - Francis Scott Key
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMike View Post
Actually, the dealership has a speaker system that is mounted atop the building and every so often it emits the sound of a bird of prey (owl?) that they use to keep their vehicles on the lot from being bombed and straffed by winged creatures.

So my theory is somehow the frequency of their system tapped into the electronics of the buggy. Why it then stopped I haven't clue one.

If you can't find a logical reason for your experience I'd suggest you contact The Atlantic Paranormal Society (TAPS) for a possible prospective future edition of their series.
Well, that would explain it if I hadn't moved my car 30-odd miles before it stopped. If there are these frequency emitters along the entire run of the Mass Turnpike, there would be a LOT more unhappy 1ers here.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Sounds like your car is possessed
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
leemik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 LRP M3 Coupe

Garage List
2020 Acura NSX  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [9.50]
hmmmm, Is it both your rear speakers? I would have to guess you have some sort of a grounding issue with your amp's rear channels.. I'd bring it to BMW and have it replaced.

--mike
Appreciate 0