BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
bufo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

PPK on a 2010, how different is the software?

Hi guys,

collectively you were a great help when I was first deciding on which 1 to get. I hope that you can also help me with some insight on the Performance Power Kit (PPK).

In just over two weeks I will take ED of a 2010 135i 6MT M-sport. It "qualifies" for the PPK, and I am contemplating having it put on as soon as it gets here. It is not so much the extra 20 hp that attracts me; it's what I read on the e90 forum about improved throttle response. Here is the deal:

I only got to test drive an 135i AT before I ordered. I found that there was a significant delay when starting from standstill, I hope that the MT is better. I still found some delay in the throttle response during driving, and I am not confusing it with the turbo lag. I doubt that MT/AT makes any difference here.

a) Is that a reasonable assumption?

At the e90 forum people rave about the improved throttle response they experience after adding the PPK. This, I suspect, is primarily due to the software and not so much the hardware.

b) Am I right about that?

Most of the reviews I have seen are by owners of < 10 models, so for them the software change may be significant if they haven't had their ECU flashed for a while. I see that some 08s even need a new ECU. So,

c) Is the software on the 2010 "close" to the PPK software, or should I expect a significant improvement if I make the upgrade?

Of course, I will only decide on the PPK once I have driven the MT in Germany, but any comments from owners who have put a PPK on a 135i with recent software are much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
AuxNuke
Hungry
Rep
Drives: on roads... usually.

I don't have first hand experience with PPK, but I can tell you the following from my personal BMW adventures:

1) I picked up a 2007 6MT 335i Coupe in early spring 2007. The throttle response of the car at time of purchase was excellent and one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place. No real turbo lag, great response, good pedal feel, etc.

2) During a visit to my local dealership in early 2009 for a brake warning light issue, they updated the software in my car to resolve the issue. Along with fixing the brake sensor issue, this latest software really changed the dynamics of the vehicle:
- The throttle response had gone from excellent to poor; uneven power delivery, vague response to repeated similar inputs, etc.
- The toe-in was increased dramatically and dropped of significantly when gently pressing the throttle
It felt like a different car. I immediately notified the dealer and we went back and forth, trying different things to get that "feel" back. No luck. With each software revision that came out, I begged my SA to update my car which he did... most of the time. The throttle response improved over time, but never felt like it did with the original software.

3) Nearing the end of my lease, I test drove a 2010 6MT 135i. The throttle response in that car was far better than the 335i I was currently driving. I ordered one that day and crossed my fingers it would be the same when it arrived. I picked up my current 6MT 135i less than 2 months ago and my car, with whatever software a Nov. 09 build 135i comes with, has terrific throttle response.

Here's to no more software updates!

- Aux
      02-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #3
bufo
United_States
Rep

Thanks. I will hope for the same sw on my Jan build.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
CrazyIvan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufo View Post

I only got to test drive an 135i AT before I ordered. I found that there was a significant delay when starting from standstill, I hope that the MT is better. I still found some delay in the throttle response during driving, and I am not confusing it with the turbo lag. I doubt that MT/AT makes any difference here.
I bet when you tested that 135 it was in Drive. And when you takeoff from stoplight, you are in second gear. Pull the shifter into M or push on the paddle to shift into 1st - I dont think that you'll be dissapointed
      02-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
bufo
United_States
Rep

No, I did drive it in M. Only ATs I ever drove were rentals.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Dr3K0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxNuke View Post
I don't have first hand experience with PPK, but I can tell you the following from my personal BMW adventures:

1) I picked up a 2007 6MT 335i Coupe in early spring 2007. The throttle response of the car at time of purchase was excellent and one of the reasons I bought the car in the first place. No real turbo lag, great response, good pedal feel, etc.

2) During a visit to my local dealership in early 2009 for a brake warning light issue, they updated the software in my car to resolve the issue. Along with fixing the brake sensor issue, this latest software really changed the dynamics of the vehicle:
- The throttle response had gone from excellent to poor; uneven power delivery, vague response to repeated similar inputs, etc.
- The toe-in was increased dramatically and dropped of significantly when gently pressing the throttle
It felt like a different car. I immediately notified the dealer and we went back and forth, trying different things to get that "feel" back. No luck. With each software revision that came out, I begged my SA to update my car which he did... most of the time. The throttle response improved over time, but never felt like it did with the original software.

3) Nearing the end of my lease, I test drove a 2010 6MT 135i. The throttle response in that car was far better than the 335i I was currently driving. I ordered one that day and crossed my fingers it would be the same when it arrived. I picked up my current 6MT 135i less than 2 months ago and my car, with whatever software a Nov. 09 build 135i comes with, has terrific throttle response.

Here's to no more software updates!

- Aux
My car felt like that before got flashed recently afte a HPFP replacement. Dont let the dealer flah you car. My car now feels weaker, probably like your 335i.

BTW, is there anyway that we can do a backup of an DME to put into another????

I asked my SA but he is clueless. I bet if I can put my hads behind the tech PC I can pull it off.

Should be nice if we could load other flash into the DME.
Appreciate 0