BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > UK

12-31-2009, 03:35 AM   #1
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Fabspeed x-pipe fitted - personal review

As some of you know I have been modding quite heavily over the past few months and the x-pipe was always on my tick list of jobs to be done (yes Mikey had it done ) so here is my short review:

E90/E92/E93 X-Pipe 2ndary Catbypass Pipe with Resonators

The build quality of the polished stainless steel pipe is very well made, excellent welding joints, smooth finish and fits perfectly too. A simple bolt on piece of kit that took less then 30 minutes to fit. In the box came two clamps & two sleeves if needed (mine didn’t)

Having spent most of yesterday “playing around” out and about I can already feel the smoothness of the exhaust system now allowing the engine to breath a whole lot better. The throttle is more responsive throughout the rev range, especially between 2,500rpm – 6,000rpm, which is what I wanted from the pipe. Low end torque has improved

My system is hooked up to the Remus Race boxes, I also have the BMC filter. Obviously because of my mods I am now needing a custom remap (flats spots in high revs at present) but even in it’s present state it really is like driving an “all new improved version”, it has simply made the car better. As I have also lowered my car then it all just seems to gel together so much more than before.

I can’t fault Fabspeed at all. Yes they are based in the US but from placing my order to arriving at my door took three days! And the price is a whole lot better than any of the European alternatives that are available over here, and that’s including the shipping!

Their website states on my set up “Fabspeed X-Pipe installed combined with Remus mufflers. Power is up 30HP @2800RPM’s” I may not be getting that at present without the remap but it sure feels like does!

Now for the noise factor!

As we all know the Remus Race is a loud little beast (took me a couple of weeks to get used to it). All reports regarding hooking up an xpipe to anything including stock will make things louder, well this pipe does but in a good way, a very good way.
To me it seems to eliminate some of the ‘drone’ associated with some aftermarket systems, there is still drone there but not as noticeable as before, at idle there is no difference.
Now when you give it some it is outstanding, the acoustics outside & inside the car sound amazing. It is so tight and controlled, the pipe raises the tone of the Remus Race to another level, gone has the low drone base note and in comes this sweet scream, give it high revs and you could be in a single seater strapped to a V8 orchestra, it really is that good.

All in all after one day and about 200 miles of combined urban and rural motoring I can strongly recommended this piece of kit to anyone thinking of going down the x-pipe route, and that’s without the custom remap.

Marc
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Would be great if you could make it to the winter meet so we could hear it in the flesh and maybe loosen a few tunnel tiles as well...........

Flapps
      12-31-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapps View Post
Would be great if you could make it to the winter meet so we could hear it in the flesh and maybe loosen a few tunnel tiles as well...........

Flapps
Would love to come along but it's just a bit too far away for a round trip

I am sure you'll all have a real blast in those tunnels though

Marc
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
s99ane
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Where in the NW are you Marc I would love to hear this setup.
Im in Manchester.
      12-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

12-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s99ane View Post
Where in the NW are you Marc I would love to hear this setup.
Im in Manchester.
I am over in Blackpool, you are more than welcome to pop across anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
As some of you know I have been modding quite heavily over the past few months and the x-pipe was always on my tick list of jobs to be done (yes Mikey had it done ) so here is my short review:

E90/E92/E93 X-Pipe 2ndary Catbypass Pipe with Resonators

The build quality of the polished stainless steel pipe is very well made, excellent welding joints, smooth finish and fits perfectly too. A simple bolt on piece of kit that took less then 30 minutes to fit. In the box came two clamps & two sleeves if needed (mine didn’t)

Having spent most of yesterday “playing around” out and about I can already feel the smoothness of the exhaust system now allowing the engine to breath a whole lot better. The throttle is more responsive throughout the rev range, especially between 2,500rpm – 6,000rpm, which is what I wanted from the pipe. Low end torque has improved

My system is hooked up to the Remus Race boxes, I also have the BMC filter. Obviously because of my mods I am now needing a custom remap (flats spots in high revs at present) but even in it’s present state it really is like driving an “all new improved version”, it has simply made the car better. As I have also lowered my car then it all just seems to gel together so much more than before.

I can’t fault Fabspeed at all. Yes they are based in the US but from placing my order to arriving at my door took three days! And the price is a whole lot better than any of the European alternatives that are available over here, and that’s including the shipping!

Their website states on my set up “Fabspeed X-Pipe installed combined with Remus mufflers. Power is up 30HP @2800RPM’s” I may not be getting that at present without the remap but it sure feels like does!

Now for the noise factor!

As we all know the Remus Race is a loud little beast (took me a couple of weeks to get used to it). All reports regarding hooking up an xpipe to anything including stock will make things louder, well this pipe does but in a good way, a very good way.
To me it seems to eliminate some of the ‘drone’ associated with some aftermarket systems, there is still drone there but not as noticeable as before, at idle there is no difference.
Now when you give it some it is outstanding, the acoustics outside & inside the car sound amazing. It is so tight and controlled, the pipe raises the tone of the Remus Race to another level, gone has the low drone base note and in comes this sweet scream, give it high revs and you could be in a single seater strapped to a V8 orchestra, it really is that good.

All in all after one day and about 200 miles of combined urban and rural motoring I can strongly recommended this piece of kit to anyone thinking of going down the x-pipe route, and that’s without the custom remap.

Marc
Great review. Sick setup!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:53 AM   #8
Flapps
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 Vert, Silverstone II DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Would love to come along but it's just a bit too far away for a round trip

I am sure you'll all have a real blast in those tunnels though

Marc
Great shame but fully understand, maybe we'll hear her in near future for a possible Spring meet...........now theres a thought!!!!!

btw........

Flapps
      12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
MIKEYBMW1
GT3
England
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE GT3

Congrates Buddy , we will have to meet up soon to compare the noise

Mikey.
      12-31-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEYBMW1 View Post
Congrates Buddy , we will have to meet up soon to compare the noise

Mikey.
Definitely matey! Have great NYE

Marc
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Now I'm replying to your link with mine. Very cool setup love mine but still too noisy for me. Link to my installation of fabspeed

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329712
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 05:22 PM   #12
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Bet it sounds the dogz Marcus! Can't wait to see and hear the beast in action - any news on that M3 meet yet?

Happy New Year buddy
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #13
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
Bet it sounds the dogz Marcus! Can't wait to see and hear the beast in action - any news on that M3 meet yet?

Happy New Year buddy
You too Paul & Happy New Year and all on M3 Post.

Yes mate it sounds very nice, cuts the air like a knife in this weather!

Now I am back in the office I'll have time to put something together regards a meet

Marcus
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #14
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

How many miles have you done now with the X-pipe? Has the sound changed at all? What is the drone like on motorway cruising and is the system quiet under light throttle loads?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
How many miles have you done now with the X-pipe? Has the sound changed at all? What is the drone like on motorway cruising and is the system quiet under light throttle loads?
Hi Mate

Done around 500 / 700 miles since fitting, sounds just as good if not better.

Motorway driving is fine, it doesn't really drone in the car to be honest but there is an obvious louder note to the exhaust.

If you short shift & keep the revs low then there is no real noise under load, this works well when passing a gatso copper with good hearing!

One thing I have noticed is that there is difference in sound from cold to optimum working temperature, when it's 'warmed up' it does sound amazing just need to replace the uppers cats with some high flow ones now.

I am on the dyno this Wednesday so will report back when done.

Marc

P.S Thanks for the info on the brakes
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #16
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

How did the dyno run go? Has it been remapped now?

To confirm, under light throttle loads, it is quiet?

If I get one of these with a Remus Sport or Miltek. It cannot be noisey or drone when cruising or the wife will kill me. I don't mind if it sings when giving it some beans as I'll be on my own then

Cheers
Anthony
Appreciate 0