BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-15-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Thumbs up BMW M1 to feature highly optioned cosmetic personalization program !

As reported on 1addicts Homepage.

Motorsport Nostaligia meets Present day Personalisation.

SUMMARY OF M1 OPTIONAL COSMETIC PERSONALIZATION PROGRAM:

EXTERIOR:
  • Carbon fiber hood (bonnet)
  • Carbon fiber trunk (bootlid) with integrated spoiler
  • Carbon fiber mirrors
  • Carbon fiber front splitters
  • Carbon fiber rear valence diffuser
  • Carbon fiber sideskirts
  • M-stripes (available in M tricolors, Alpine White, or Ferric Gray)
  • M-stripes may be placed on left, central, or right hand side of car. Additional stripes can be incorporated along the side of the car.
  • 18" competition wheels in two finishes
  • BMW shadowline chrome can be extended to the front kidney grills and rear exhaust ports (titanium effect finish will be an option).
  • Matte paint options : Frozen Gray, Frozen Black, Ice White.
  • Techno Violet option (including all additional colors from other M-vehicles)
INTERIOR:
  • Seats available in full and half-leather using M tri-color pattern on center of seats (like E30 / M3 Evo).
  • M tricolor pattern on door panels (like E30 / M3 Evo)
  • Carbon fiber dashboard panels / Aluminum panel options.
  • Titanium and body color matched pieces extending to the door handles and gear shift surround trim.
  • Alacantra seat fabric and roof headliner.

Quote:
When introduced as a Concept precursor to the BMW performance packet for the 1er Coupe. The Tii Concept introduced a modern day approach to personalisation.

Having already established a successful personalisation programme for the MINI brand. Concept Tii introduced the early stages to what can be achieved for the BMW brand.

The Tii Concept unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2007 in a land where personalisation is a common theme amongst younger domestic japanese customers previewed the imminent BMW Performance range a customisation package for the 1er Coupe.

Although the BMW Performance package has been established. BMW are still aware of the After market companies that offer enthusiasts more diversity some at the cost to the official BMW warranty.

The M1 aims to be a new form of concept for BMW by offering a personalisation programme to the specific demographic although the elements will be purely cosmetic.

Although introduced on the BMW 1er Coupe Tii Concept but never carried over to the BMW Performance range was the Carbon Fibre bonnet.

The BMW M1 will offer as a part of the personalisation programme this feature as well as an optional Carbon Fibre bootlid with integrated Spoiler. other Carbon Fibre features to be presented as options include mirrors , front splitters , rear valance and side skirts. This will allow the customer to add these additional lightweight aids to the standard Carbon Fibre Roof.

Taking a look back from history will be the return of M stripes which can be ordered in the M Tri-color or in Alpine White or Ferric Grey. The stripes can be ordered to be placed on each the left , central or right hand side of the car allowing a continuation from the front of the car's facia flowing over the roof right down to the rear bumper. M-Bonnet Stripes can also be ordered being placed MINI style on the grooves of the hood. Additional stripes can be incorporated along the side "character line" across the car , classic reversed "Turbo" signs can

Alloy wheel choices will begin with standard 18" 5 spoke wheels in two finishes , optional will be 18" competition wheels again in two finishes. BMW shadowline chrome can be extended to the front kidney grilles and rear exhaust ports. A titanium effect finish will be an option.

The interior will offer a Motorsport haven by a combination of standard Sports seats in a combination of leather , half-leather full fabric using an M Tri-Color pattern on the central part of the seats and door panels similar in effect to the classic E30 series M3 Evo.

The Dash area of the car will offer Unique Carbon Fibre dash cappings as well as aluminium effect , Titanium and body color which extends to the door grabs and gearbox surround . Alacantra for the seats and roof headlining will be an option.

Matte Paint options will be exclusive to the M1 and available in Frozen Grey and Black and Ice White. additional colors will carry over from other M Vehicles along with colors exclusive to the M1 including a new update of "Techno Violet"

The Tii Concept and the addition of BMW Performance has established that there is a market for an in-house personalisation programme for M vehicles although aimed at the cosmetic aspect additional Performance upgrades will be introduced as an extended vehicle option.

The BMW M1 will be the test case for the M Personalisation programme but it is highly likely the M3 will eventually offer something similar.
Updated with blown up image of Scott26's avatar:

Update: Yet another avatar image from Scott26:
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thank you very much for the info SCOTT26. I think it is the car a 20 year old guy as I must have. The perfect car for me. I love it that BMW thinks about personalisation, thanks to all BMW enthusiasts. No other brand does. Among the German brands BMW is the most personalised car, at least in Europe.

I can't wait to see this M1 with all this carbon. SCOTT26: Any info or hint on its weight?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

It reminds me BMW 2002ti and M3 E30 and also M3 CSL. I hope there will also be carbon under the hood.

Quote:
additional Performance upgrades will be introduced as an extended vehicle option
So if M1 is said to have 350 Hp, with this option it can reach 370 or 380 Hp without being officially to close to M3.
The more SCOTT26 gives us information the more I have the feeling it is going to be a real "supercar".
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Whoa......impressive!!!! I am in awe here. Never thought I would see the day that a mass market manufacturer would offer such a high degree of personalization and uniqueness. Typically in the manufacturing / supply chain world, mass production and personalization do not mesh well at all. Kudos BMW! This certainly sounds exciting.

My only minor concern, with such a broad spectrum of customization, I wonder if certain cosmetic additions or packages will detract from its resale value.

Either way, as an E30 M3 owner and cult follower, I am eager to see the M1!!!!!! Thank you Scott26!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

:
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #6
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Imola Red here I come!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

This M1 sounds unbelievable...
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
This M1 sounds unbelievable...
It really does.

I hope Monte Carlo Blue makes it into the M1 lineup.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Sounds amazing, especially the interior. I wonder what carbon fiber sideskirts look like?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

Frozen Gray Metallic here I come... carbon hood, roof, and trunk. Alcantara seats and headliner. Done and done.

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
135burner
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

But what's so great n amazing about this? Aside from the hood aren't these all available now for the current 1-series? Shouldn't this be standard on the M1? Maybe I missed something not tryin to be a downer..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #12
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135burner View Post
But what's so great n amazing about this? Aside from the hood aren't these all available now for the current 1-series? Shouldn't this be standard on the M1? Maybe I missed something not tryin to be a downer..
What's so good about unique and original paint colors? OEM carbon fiber body pieces? Leather, half-leather, Alcantara seat options? Sorry, are you new?

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #13
135burner
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Apparently.. Yeah I guess the additional colors are cool. Just mildly disappointed to see an OEM performance options list virtually identical to the current one. Was hoping the additional carbon fiber bits n what not would be standard on an M1. Just my opinion though not saying it won't be a great car.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
AlBel1214
Major
Rep
Drives: past 135i, now c6, future M3??

Frozen black.... I just went from six to midnight.. haha

-----LS3 C6-----
z51 suspension, NPP dual mode exhaust(wild2mild),20% tint, zr1 replica wheels, gloss black fender stripes
R.I.P SGM 135i w/ some mods
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Motorsport Nostaligia meets Present day Personalisation.

SUMMARY OF M1 OPTIONAL COSMETIC PERSONALIZATION PROGRAM:

EXTERIOR:
  • Carbon fiber hood (bonnet)
  • Carbon fiber trunk (bootlid) with integrated spoiler
  • Carbon fiber mirrors
  • Carbon fiber front splitters
  • Carbon fiber rear valence diffuser
  • Carbon fiber sideskirts
  • M-stripes (available in M tricolors, Alpine White, or Ferric Gray)
  • M-stripes may be placed on left, central, or right hand side of car. Additional stripes can be incorporated along the side of the car.
  • 18" competition wheels in two finishes
  • BMW shadowline chrome can be extended to the front kidney grills and rear exhaust ports (titanium effect finish will be an option).
  • Matte paint options : Frozen Gray, Frozen Black, Ice White.
  • Techno Violet option (including all additional colors from other M-vehicles)
INTERIOR:
  • Seats available in full and half-leather using M tri-color pattern on center of seats (like E30 / M3 Evo).
  • M tricolor pattern on door panels (like E30 / M3 Evo)
  • Carbon fiber dashboard panels / Aluminum panel options.
  • Titanium and body color matched pieces extending to the door handles and gear shift surround trim.
  • Alacantra seat fabric and roof headliner.

OMFG... I think I'm selling my boat!

Scott =
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135burner View Post
Apparently.. Yeah I guess the additional colors are cool. Just mildly disappointed to see an OEM performance options list virtually identical to the current one. Was hoping the additional carbon fiber bits n what not would be standard on an M1. Just my opinion though not saying it won't be a great car.
Well, options are always nice. Gives people choices and keeps cars a bit more individual. Most of our 135i's are spec'd very similar and look identical.

For what it's worth, Scott already mentioned that the front fenders were made of some special thermoplastic to reduce weight, so it seems we are getting some weight-savings technology as standard. However, to assume that BMW would include all these body pieces in carbon as standard would be a pipe dream. I think you'll continue to see it trickle in over the coming generations, especially as fuel economy standards increase. I think we'll see the next ///M3 using more carbon pieces standard, but the higher profit margin on that car likely makes it more feasible. And it's a porker, so it's almost necessary when decreasing the displacement.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
deshields
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009M3

the prodigal son returns
      02-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #18
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

I just came all over myself right now!!!!!!!!!! Yes!!! The tri-colors on the leather and doors is something I have wanted all my life for an M car to bring and also the body colored pieces in the interior, it is such a nice touch that makes the car so special. Now the carbon fiber everything takes it to a completely different level. I hope the parts are not more expensive than aftermarket so more people will buy them.. Thank you BMW!! I will order this car THE FIRST DAY ITS AVAILABLE.
      02-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #19
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

It nice all those options but i rather see some info about the heart of the car.

The engine is the key. If the car is besides all the ///M logo s also agile,throttle response, engine sound, high revs, and not nose heavy like the 135i then it could be an awesome drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #20
Nutballa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6 // BMW F22 M235i

I want specs! Engine!? HP?! Tranny!? the like!

"Power is nothing without Control" - Pirelli.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #21
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

This personalization just made Euro delivery so much more rewarding.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #22
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
The temptation to sell the M3 and buy the M1 grows...
Appreciate 0