BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-06-2010, 10:34 AM   #45
/// Yr1of D1///
BMW Technician
 
/// Yr1of D1///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 829
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to /// Yr1of D1///
soo hot
/// Yr1of D1/// is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #46
billspreston
damn you mod bug
 
billspreston's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 2,117
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to billspreston
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
I just noticed those....a not inexpensive upgrade...StopTec makes some VERY good braking systems...
StopTech brake kits are a non-expensive upgrade? Less-expensive is the right expression perhaps.
billspreston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 05:55 PM   #47
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
 
Jettafanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Posts: 120
iTrader: (2)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
StopTech brake kits are a non-expensive upgrade? Less-expensive is the right expression perhaps.
From personal experience I think they are a better bang / buck than Brembos, hence the choice.

The reasoning behind all one color is to keep the functionality without yelling "hey look at me"

Actually the darker side mrskers look better in real life as the windows are tinted pretty dark ( not my choice but previous owner had them tinted and I did not want to have them redone).

Sorry some don't "dig" the vents... but when you need to get the heat out of the engine bay they really do the trick... An the CF hood in general really does not weigh THAT much below stock, hence teh idea to go functional vents over hood mup from M3...

With regards to pins, that really applies more to non-vented hoods ( due to venturi effect etc.. in lift / push from pressure differentials due to laminar flow / lack thereof over the hood itself, which at normal everyday speeds I would not worry about anyways...) I will modify that latch anyways to something more solid, and probably will use tape around the hood where necessary if I decide to go faster than 70MPH ( not that I would ever do that, no siree, not me... ).
I do believe in general they are a good idea, but for my application, I will hold off for now ( the whole stealth look gets given away if pins are bulging through the hood...).
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Jettafanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 06:05 PM   #48
adrean8j
Brigadier General
 
adrean8j's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135I
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere

Posts: 4,071
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to adrean8j
Quote:
Originally Posted by billspreston View Post
StopTech brake kits are a non-expensive upgrade? Less-expensive is the right expression perhaps.
Bill....reading comprehension is our friend LOL....I wrote "non-inexpensive"
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
SGM was God's color and has been recalled to heaven.
adrean8j is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 06:07 PM   #49
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,846
iTrader: (0)

^ I can see your argument, but its more than just laminar flow that lifts hoods. Its the air that gets in between the hood and the headlights, it breaks the seal and the force of air backing up in the engine bay slowly lifts the hood because at high speeds (over 100) the hood simply cannot evacuate enough air to maintain equilibrium.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #50
thez99
Colonel
 
thez99's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 135i Auto
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wake Forest, NC

Posts: 2,583
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2010 135i  [3.00]
Send a message via AIM to thez99
Ok..is the latch on this hood the same as the latch on the stock hood??? Cuz the stock latch is perfectly secure if not moreso than other cars ive seen, not to mention the fact that it has two dampers, one on each side, not just one.

I must still be confused as to how these pins hold the hood down at speeds over 100mph..I thought these were just to help lift hoods that dont have latches...
__________________

= ER Chargepipe/HKS BOV = Maddad Whisper Axle-back exhaust = Maddad resonted 3" midpipes = BMS DCI = HPF FMIC - 18" vmr 701's with Michelin PSS tires - M3 front sway == Coming soon? = M3 front suspension bits - rear m3 subframe bushings - BMW Perf Suspension - IC rear diffusor and spoiler
thez99 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2010, 06:30 PM   #51
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,846
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thez99 View Post
Ok..is the latch on this hood the same as the latch on the stock hood??? Cuz the stock latch is perfectly secure if not moreso than other cars ive seen, not to mention the fact that it has two dampers, one on each side, not just one.

I must still be confused as to how these pins hold the hood down at speeds over 100mph..I thought these were just to help lift hoods that dont have latches...
The latch itself is secure...but there is only one latch dead center on the hood. The hood lifts at the corners by the headlights, the pins go there...look at the brracing 135i for more details.

lets get back on topic.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #52
Jettafanatic
Private First Class
 
Jettafanatic's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Santa Barbara, CA

Posts: 120
iTrader: (2)

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
^ I can see your argument, but its more than just laminar flow that lifts hoods. Its the air that gets in between the hood and the headlights, it breaks the seal and the force of air backing up in the engine bay slowly lifts the hood because at high speeds (over 100) the hood simply cannot evacuate enough air to maintain equilibrium.
Precisely where the tape "would" go if I "were" to go over the posted speed limit by more than 5 MPH... which I never would, because that would be bad, very very bad... especially on a track or some event like that, which everyone who knows me knows I would never do, no siree..., not me.....

I just don't want to spoil the look with pins.....
__________________
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Jettafanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #53
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
 
BrokenVert's Avatar
 
Drives: Topless Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen

Posts: 9,846
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettafanatic View Post
Precisely where the tape "would" go if I "were" to go over the posted speed limit by more than 5 MPH... which I never would, because that would be bad, very very bad... especially on a track or some event like that, which everyone who knows me knows I would never do, no siree..., not me.....

I just don't want to spoil the look with pins.....
Ohh trust me. I plan on a Vorsteiner hood myself, and I dont plan on pins, even with my HPDEs, im a tape whore and a known cone killer anyway .

And I agree...exceding the already generous 55mph here in NY would never be a good idea.
__________________
BrokenVert is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-08-2010, 07:16 PM   #54
billspreston
damn you mod bug
 
billspreston's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CA

Posts: 2,117
iTrader: (12)

Send a message via AIM to billspreston
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrean8j View Post
Bill....reading comprehension is our friend LOL....I wrote "non-inexpensive"
my bad
billspreston is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST