BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,168
Posts

 
Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

WTF some1 please explain this to me

Last week during my trip to Germany, My friend and I spent 2 hours on Nurburgring on the day before I flew back

He had a 4 laps pass that will expire this April so we decided to put two bimmers to the the test. (09 E82 135i His car and 09 E92 335i His Brother's car)

Both cars have around 15K Km (9K miles) and they are stock running a Non RFT tires (Pirellis)

we did a lap on every car and frankly we were expecting the 135i to be better than the 335i because it has the same engine on a smaller car but it was not the case..

On the 335i I was taking the corners easily and i felt more in control. on the 135 it was more difficult..

after the 4 laps i was completely shocked about the 135 and I told my friend who said he felt the same I will buy two more passes and I will take the cars to the "Nurburgring: GP (3.7 km)" and I will time both of them.

I started with 335i and I did ~1:57
on the 135 I got ~2:01!!!!!!

I checked online and I saw that on GP the fastest 335 time was faster than the fastest 135 time by 3 seconds.
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #2
Mark M
Captain
Mark M's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
950
Posts

 
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA

iTrader: (0)

Possibly due to wider track on the 3 and longer wheelbase.

My biggest complaint about the 1 is that on the edge it feels VERY skitish. Going thorugh corners on the edge of adhesion just feels like the back end wants to step out at any moment.

My e30 M3 and e36 M3s were never like this.

Dunno if it is the soft suspension bushings in the 1, the RFTs, or the lack of LSD. (I am running KW coilovers)
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #3
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,168
Posts

 
Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
My biggest complaint about the 1 is that on the edge it feels VERY skitish. Going thorugh corners on the edge of adhesion just feels like the back end wants to step out at any moment.
This is exactly what i felt..
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Possibly due to wider track on the 3 and longer wheelbase.

My biggest complaint about the 1 is that on the edge it feels VERY skitish. Going thorugh corners on the edge of adhesion just feels like the back end wants to step out at any moment.

My e30 M3 and e36 M3s were never like this.

Dunno if it is the soft suspension bushings in the 1, the RFTs, or the lack of LSD. (I am running KW coilovers)


I read in an article that BMW purposely made the 1 series understeer. They felt that because the car was going to be considered "entry-level", they feared that the 1-series would be the first RWD car for most of their buyers. They didnt want people wrapping them around trees because the drivers thought their car was a "real M3" or something because it was focused at a younger crowd.

It would suck if that was true, but it seemed like that was the case. I think I read it on AutoBlog or Edmunds several months ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 02:51 PM   #5
tgxmike
Second Lieutenant
tgxmike's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
287
Posts

 
Drives: '09 128i Coupe, 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Boise, ID

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Possibly due to wider track on the 3 and longer wheelbase.

My biggest complaint about the 1 is that on the edge it feels VERY skitish. Going thorugh corners on the edge of adhesion just feels like the back end wants to step out at any moment.

My e30 M3 and e36 M3s were never like this.

Dunno if it is the soft suspension bushings in the 1, the RFTs, or the lack of LSD. (I am running KW coilovers)
I used to feel like the back was going to go out, but after changing to real tires that feeling was much reduced. When the back does give way now with the non-RTF it is much more predictable, controlled and recoverable. The RTF were just terrible. Suspension upgrade is next...
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
JimD
Colonel
JimD's Avatar
44
Rep
2,844
Posts

 
Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, SC

iTrader: (0)

It's probably mostly handling but the drag coefficient is worst on the 135, it may make some difference. The BMWUSA does not seem to list the 135 couple coefficient any more but the convertible is .34 versus .30 for the 335 couple. The weight of a 135 couple is only 187 lbs less than a 335 couple (both with manual transmissions). So even though the 135 is smaller, it doesn't weight a lot less and it has a higher coefficient of drag.

.4 seconds out of 2 minutes does not seem like a huge difference to me. But I would also think with the same power a smaller car would be faster. And it is rated quicker 0-60 (5.1 versus 5.3 seconds).
__________________
128i Convertible, MT, Alpine White, Black Top, Taupe Leatherette, Walnut, Sport
Ordered 5/22/09, Completed 6/4/09, At Port 6/9/09, On the Georgia Highway 6/13/09, Ship Arrived Charleston 6/24/09 at 10pm, PCD 7/21/09
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
nszzya
Think Different
nszzya's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
139
Posts

 
Drives: '09 E82 '10 E70
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SF Bay Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgxmike View Post
Suspension upgrade is next...
What are you planning specifically?
__________________
-----------------
'09 E82 135i
'10 E70 X5 Xdrive35d
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
rsjean
satch
rsjean's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
1,049
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sonoran Desert, Tucson AZ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
I read in an article that BMW purposely made the 1 series understeer. They felt that because the car was going to be considered "entry-level", they feared that the 1-series would be the first RWD car for most of their buyers. They didnt want people wrapping them around trees because the drivers thought their car was a "real M3" or something because it was focused at a younger crowd.

It would suck if that was true, but it seemed like that was the case. I think I read it on AutoBlog or Edmunds several months ago.
I believe they build understeer into all their cars. It's a safety margin. Can't speak to the ///M's though as I've never had the priviledge....
__________________

"The Dingo ate your Mustang"
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
28
Rep
1,603
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Mar 2008

iTrader: (0)

Since the 335 has a wider front track which will make it corners better.
__________________
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
Sylon
Brigadier General
Sylon's Avatar
United_States
60
Rep
3,415
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
If it makes you feel better,





The 135i was faster than a 335i around a track, but did lose to an ///M by a .10, I would say thats pretty damn good.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #11
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,168
Posts

 
Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
If it makes you feel better,





The 135i was faster than a 335i around a track, but did lose to an ///M by a .10, I would say thats pretty damn good.
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 12:00 AM   #12
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
ianc's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
739
Posts

 
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Redwood Shores, California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
The BMWUSA does not seem to list the 135 couple coefficient any more but the convertible is .34 versus .30 for the 335 couple
Dude, it's COUPE. Ha, I thought you were describing some weird sexual measurement there for a second. Please excuse my analosity.

Anyway, it's certainly the handling. The 135 is floaty, bouncy and unpredictable stock. How you gonna drive that fast?

ianc
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
JimD
Colonel
JimD's Avatar
44
Rep
2,844
Posts

 
Drives: 128i convertible
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Lexington, SC

iTrader: (0)

Analosity excused. I admit I can't spell. It seems common for us engineers.

Jim
__________________
128i Convertible, MT, Alpine White, Black Top, Taupe Leatherette, Walnut, Sport
Ordered 5/22/09, Completed 6/4/09, At Port 6/9/09, On the Georgia Highway 6/13/09, Ship Arrived Charleston 6/24/09 at 10pm, PCD 7/21/09
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
10,077
Posts

 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Analosity excused. I admit I can't spell. It seems common for us engineers.

Jim
Is this the part where I say it's ok, because us engineers speak the language of math fluently?

And CD only makes a difference at higher speeds. On a normal road course suspension makes or breaks a car. And it breaks a 135i
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 08:13 AM   #15
arrutled
Colonel
arrutled's Avatar
33
Rep
2,471
Posts

 
Drives: Olsa
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Western Mass

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Analosity excused. I admit I can't spell. It seems common for us engineers.

Jim
lol that and penmanship, lol.
__________________

AW 135i w/ blackette, performance short shift kit, BMW alarm, Performance rotors, APEX ARC-8 wheels, Direzza Star Spec 235/275, Dinan stage 3 suspension, M3 wishbones/tension rods/front sway/rear subframe bushings and thats all folks!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
HachiNi
my other car is a hachiroku
HachiNi's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
153
Posts

 
Drives: 135i AW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

longer wheelbase.
__________________
85 AE86
09 E82
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #17
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
radiantm3's Avatar
United_States
159
Rep
3,881
Posts

 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
I've said this in the past. My stock E90 sedan (with sports package and runflats) feels so much more composed in the corners than my 1er with dunlop direzza star specs and bmw performance suspension. Not as fun to drive, but I'm way more confident taking a corner at higher speeds in the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
Last week during my trip to Germany, My friend and I spent 2 hours on Nurburgring on the day before I flew back

He had a 4 laps pass that will expire this April so we decided to put two bimmers to the the test. (09 E82 135i His car and 09 E92 335i His Brother's car)

Both cars have around 15K Km (9K miles) and they are stock running a Non RFT tires (Pirellis)

we did a lap on every car and frankly we were expecting the 135i to be better than the 335i because it has the same engine on a smaller car but it was not the case..

On the 335i I was taking the corners easily and i felt more in control. on the 135 it was more difficult..

after the 4 laps i was completely shocked about the 135 and I told my friend who said he felt the same I will buy two more passes and I will take the cars to the "Nurburgring: GP (3.7 km)" and I will time both of them.

I started with 335i and I did ~1:57
on the 135 I got ~2:01!!!!!!

I checked online and I saw that on GP the fastest 335 time was faster than the fastest 135 time by 3 seconds.
It's a common lust induced misconception that the 135i is faster all around than the 335i.
Yes, in a straight line the 135i out accels it's larger brother, but in the real world of handling, power to weight can be outclassed by a better suspension. The 1 really does lack the mythic magical sport suspension tuning of the 3 sedan and coupe.
That is the only thing, a big thing, I miss about a 3 series.

After having my 135i for 10 months, if I were shopping today, I would probably go for the 335i, due to the better suspension and overall confidence in better handling. Unless of course, the N55 has been tweaked in the suspension department?
I've tried to find out if it has, but I think that no info on that means that BMW didn't take the oppor-tune-ity to fix this glaring issue.

I've got 2 more years with my 135i, so BMW, you've got a bit of time to correct this!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #19
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvaccaro View Post
Just wait 1 year and get an M1
We'll see. I hope it's done right and BMW doesn't get crazy with the pricing.
After all, I like the 135i and I for one think it's got plenty of power.
It's just a suspension tweak, and a solid HPFP , away from being great as it is, and at it's price. Just FIX the suspension.

If the pricing is too silly, the new S4 really shines.
BMW...get to work!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,168
Posts

 
Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
If the pricing is too silly, the new S4 really shines.
BMW...get to work!
I will never switch to the dark side.....
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #21
Garduna
Brigadier General
Garduna's Avatar
Canada
51
Rep
4,009
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Sedona Red
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I will never switch to the dark side.....
lol darkside my butt. It's simply another alternative
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2010, 10:29 PM   #22
RPM90
Major General
105
Rep
6,095
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garduna View Post
lol darkside my butt. It's simply another alternative
Exactly.
Audi makes fine automobiles.
The new S4 is quite outstanding and has beaten the 335i even in performance areas.

BTW, no, the M3 is not the S4 competitor, check the pricing.

Audi's 1 series competitor the A3, however, is no match for the 135i, unless they were to bring the S3, then maybe, maybe.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST