E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Virginia Service

12-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #1
HeadlessChicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Virginia Service

I know there have been numerous posts on this subject but given turnover etc., I was wondering if anyone has a recomendation for where to get my car serviced. No real need now, but I want a plan in place in case a need should arise. I work in Tysons so I will most likely go with Fairfax. I have heard that their service department is questionable. Does anyone know if there is an advisor or someone there who is good. I could possibly make Sterling or Arlington work if they really are that much better. I bought from Passport, but they are not an option seeing as I live in Arlington and work in Tysons.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #2
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328it, RIP M3, E46 Sold

Fairfax service center at the corner of Lee Hwy and Prosperity.
      12-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
If you do go to FFX, let us know what you think. I considered going to FFX for my oil change recently (I live and work in McLean) but decided I'd try Sterling after reading up on the various dealers. A little out of the way, though.

Sterling has a good rep and they seemed fine. I assume they'd be good for a more major service issue, but I'd probably go to Passport in that case because Passport also has a good rep and I'd be much more likely to get a loaner car there if I needed one.

Sterling gave me a call the next day to make sure everything was fine.

Also - take a look at this. Independent BMW service shops in this area, with short descriptions/reviews. I thought about going to one of them for the oil change. I'm sure these guys would be cheaper for non-warranty work: http://www.dvsmith.net/bmw/dc_service_shops.html
      12-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Parts dept at FFX needed more personality,its a hit or miss sometimes.

now for the Service, well let let say this, I had my first routine 15k done by them, the CA managed to squeeze me in coz I had a "no show" on my schedule. They gave me a car for a day, they wash the car, its So-So, but its free what can I say.

Overall I guess its ok... but would I take it there again.. maybe not... parking is terrible... AND lately I've been having a intermittent starting problem since they suppose to have upgraded the sw. (dont know if its related, but its one of those things, everything working well until after the service)

Im bringing it to Sterling this Monday to have it looked at, I'll post feedback on Sterling.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #5
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
ase's post reminded me - so I should add that Sterling offered to wash my car, even though I was just there for a 15 minute oil change. Very nice if you're into that sort of thing. I turned down the offer, because I prefer to wash it myself.
      12-11-2006, 08:47 AM   #6
HeadlessChicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Thanks. I think this answers my question. I will just take it to Sterling and wait. I'm with you BK on major repairs. If its something big, I will take it back to Passport.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
zendenwolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: AcuraTL 2005

bmw of fairfax

This may be old news; BMW of Fairfax just opened (Dec 11th) a new auto repair service that can hold up to 75 cars. One of the largest on the east coast apparently It’s due to the long wait times.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Just came from Sterling to have my 325i intermittent steering lock idiot light coming on. After Arlington BMW attempt to fix it by replacing the ignition key box module (the unit to put the FOB it), it didnt seem to want to go away...
its really no biggie but Im afraid to have it become worst so I brought it in for service.Sterling said that Ive seen this happen before and will replace the steering, and maybe a days work after they get the part in.

They provided me a Dodge Charger Whoopieeeeeeeee!
just what a guy, in the brink of max'ing out his citation points, needed.

I dont care! Ill be carefull. Honestly it handles like a sailboat!

Cant wait to get my e90 back!

Last edited by ase2dais; 12-11-2006 at 06:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #9
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Good to hear they are replacing the whole steering column. Unfortunately, I've seen that ELV issue all too often here on the forums. A replacement steering column seems to do the trick but it's got to be costing BMW a hella lot of money.
      12-13-2006, 11:08 AM   #10
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK
Good to hear they are replacing the whole steering column. Unfortunately, I've seen that ELV issue all too often here on the forums. A replacement steering column seems to do the trick but it's got to be costing BMW a hella lot of money.
I couldnt stand this Charger RentaBoat, eats too much gas, sways alot I took it back in and got my car back until they get the part, then I bring it back in.

What is ELV?
got any threads about this issue you can refer so I have a good handle on what to expect and what their experiences were.. Im kinda on the fence on wether to get it fix... in a intermittent problem. Im afraid if they tear things apart things maybe not the same anymore. You guys know wat Im talking about Right! things from factory are just much better than any other.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais
What is ELV?
got any threads about this issue you can refer so I have a good handle on what to expect and what their experiences were.. Im kinda on the fence on wether to get it fix... in a intermittent problem. Im afraid if they tear things apart things maybe not the same anymore. You guys know wat Im talking about Right! things from factory are just much better than any other.
ELV is the electronic steering wheel lock. Malfunctions of this part have been frequently reported here on the forums, and the only longterm solution seems to be replacing the whole steering column.

Also, some people seem to have trouble with a "binding," "clicking," or "rubbing" feeling when turning the wheel, and the solution is to replace the entire steering column. I'd put money on the two issues being symptoms of the same problem.

ELV blocked thread - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13439

Binding in steering thread - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34346

Other, less useful threads with steering column replacement:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39043
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35461
      12-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #12
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep

Garage List
yup! thats the same issue but i dont have any binding issue.
mine is similar to poldim.
thks Brian... I'll most likely just have them update the Sw version
Attached Images

Last edited by ase2dais; 12-14-2006 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0