BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
amdmaxx's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,355
Posts

 
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

M1 vs competition

It's that time of the year again.
Competition is good for everyone.

I'll start:
2011 Ford GT500 seems to be a monster. New aluminum block is 120 lb lighter.. 550hp/510lb/ft torque.
New suspension so finally Ford Mustarg will handle.


Corvette Grant Sport

370Z might get DI and around 370 hp in a year or 2..


Yes BMW is German, yes M is legendary.. etc.. This is purely subjective topic.

Last edited by amdmaxx; 02-10-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
ridin135
Colonel
34
Rep
2,264
Posts

 
Drives: 991 C2S & E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Greenville

iTrader: (7)

I have been debating lately between an m1 or a hpf stage 3 m3
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
24
Rep
1,085
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Deutschland KreisTrier auf Autobahn 64 & Tucson AZ

iTrader: (1)

I wonder what market segment BMW is attacking with the M1.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
148
Rep
10,077
Posts

 
Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

The new Ford 302 looks to be a beast of engine. A specific HP rating of over 80 HP/L is fantastic. I cant imagine what it will be like once Shelby gets their hands on it.

I would think that the performance oriented BMW owner would only be looking at the 1 because it is a 2+2, hence why I think that the Mustang will be competition, and the 370Z/Vette wont be.

But until the M1 actually comes out its all speculation, hell we dont even have exact number on anything at this point.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
BForbes
Moderator
BForbes's Avatar
Bahamas
164
Rep
4,243
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

I keep forgetting the price points of these cars will be very close. Wow, wow, wow. Personally, I think it's the M1's goal to mop the floor with any and everything under the 50k map. I wont be surprised to see reputable tuners reaching for 500hp quite easily.
__________________
- 04 Honda S2000(gone)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
32
Rep
2,161
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
370Z might get DI and around 370 hp in a year or 2..
Now that would be pretty sweet.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
oasis3582
Lieutenant
oasis3582's Avatar
8
Rep
477
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cincinnati, OH

iTrader: (0)

The cobra's live rear axle instantly disqualifies it from consideration.
__________________
Current: BMW 135i cpe BSM / blk/gray / sport / prem / ipod

Previous: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe, 2007 Acura RDX, 2005 Pontiac GTO, 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Levi
Brigadier General
Levi's Avatar
Czech_Republic
124
Rep
3,452
Posts

 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

iTrader: (0)

The Ford is to big to be a fun-car. The Nissan looks shit. I would compare BMW M1 with Porsche Cayman S. Maybe Porsche will bring out a Cayman RS.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
BimmerLearner
My car is less than a week old and on its 3rd tank
BimmerLearner's Avatar
3
Rep
362
Posts

 
Drives: Tiag 135 Vert
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NE

iTrader: (0)

Its like deja vu...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
amdmaxx's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,355
Posts

 
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

GT500 is 550 hp stock! And it's around $43k loaded. $3k more for performance package. Was listening to autoblog podcast, they raved about it.
Another thing to throw into fire: CTS-V coupe.. But's it's more money.. Probably will start @ 65k...



Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
I keep forgetting the price points of these cars will be very close. Wow, wow, wow. Personally, I think it's the M1's goal to mop the floor with any and everything under the 50k map. I wont be surprised to see reputable tuners reaching for 500hp quite easily.

Last edited by amdmaxx; 02-10-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
BMW86
Major General
Australia
138
Rep
8,958
Posts

 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

The Audi RS3 will give the M1 a good run for its money. If it came in a coupe or sedan I'm sure there'd be many who'd switch over. Apparently Benz is coming out with something as well. Should be interesting. The M1 will be good because it's already got a good base to start with, hopefully it'll address all the issues of the 135i and make it a hardcore sports car.
__________________
BMW 135i N54
MERCEDES CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:53 PM   #12
dmboone25
Major General
dmboone25's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
5,421
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i/DUC M1100 EVO
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [0.00]
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
The Ford is to big to be a fun-car. The Nissan looks shit. I would compare BMW M1 with Porsche Cayman S. Maybe Porsche will bring out a Cayman RS.
I would love to think that the M1 would be on level with the Cayman S...man that is one sweet ride....

It would be a great comparison though.....
__________________
Current - 2014 F22 M235 - MT, CWP, Premium, Aluminum Hex/Black Gloss Trim.
Past BMWs: 2011 E82 135 - LBM, N55, DCT
2008 E82 135 - AW, N54, MT
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT, ZSP (traded in for 135)
2007 E92 328 - JB, N52, MT (retired by a drunk driver)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #13
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis3582 View Post
The cobra's live rear axle instantly disqualifies it from consideration.
I don't understand why some would dismiss certain cars from a discussion because of different technology. If a vehicle competes in a given market then its a contender.
Corvettes with their 1950's technology V8 Smallblocks and transverse mounted leaf springs and Mustangs with live axles are cars to be taken seriously when talking Performance cars. And it looks as if the Mustang is going to do very well and leave alot of snooty independent suspension afficinatos scratching their heads.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #14
LeoHammer
Private First Class
1
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Sep 2008

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to LeoHammer
Most people think that BMW will deliberately make the M1/1M worse then the M3 so that it doesn't affect M3 sales but what if they are waiting to see what success Porsche might have with their Boxter Spyder.... purpose built lightweight car that will be cheaper than a base 911... what if they will surprise us all with a super-light 1 to compete with Porsche's baby racer... HMMMM
__________________
keep both hands on the wheel please.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #15
grant
Lieutenant
grant's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
524
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I don't understand why some would dismiss certain cars from a discussion because of different technology.
Here is an excellent reason to dismiss any car with live rear axle:

Without independent suspension, the alignment cannot be changed to add negative camber (you have 0 degrees camber all the time - inherent in that design). So, if you want to drive at the track you will instantly destroy the outer shoulders of your tires. Live axles are only usable on the street and drag strip - road course use highly inappropriate, imo.
__________________
1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber (240hp & 1,890 lbs)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:57 PM   #16
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
Here is an excellent reason to dismiss any car with live rear axle:

Without independent suspension, the alignment cannot be changed to add negative camber (you have 0 degrees camber all the time - inherent in that design). So, if you want to drive at the track you will instantly destroy the outer shoulders of your tires. Live axles are only usable on the street and drag strip - road course use highly inappropriate, imo.
Racing cars with live axles on road courses goes back a long way, including the famous Trans Am series. To dismiss an entire class of cars because they wear their tires out is nonsense,imo. All race cars wear out tires and brakes, thats what they do. Thats what keeps pit crews off unemployment lines. I haven't read a review of the 135 that doesnt complain of horrendous understeer on a road track and the brakes are often mentioned and sub par for track use and the high center of gravity and narrow wheelbase and power falling off after 5K RPM......
Maybe the 135 should be put on the racing garbage heap next to the Mustang.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
grant
Lieutenant
grant's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
524
Posts

 
Drives: 1973 Porsche 911
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Denver, CO

iTrader: (0)

I won't own any sportscar that I don't frequently drive at the local road course. Of course all cars wear their tires and brakes at the track, but not at the same rate.

I had a good friend with a Mustang GT racecar and it went through a set of Hoosiers every day due to the live axle (corded the outer shoulders after a couple hours each time). My Porsche goes through track tires every 15 track days and keeps its brake pads for about 30 track days. I can't afford to spend $2,000 every track day (I go to the track about 25 times per season).

A 135i can be easily tuned to dial-out the understeer (swaybars and alignment). A Mustang cannot be easily cured of its issues.
__________________
1973 Porsche Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber (240hp & 1,890 lbs)
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #18
lacrosse
Captain
lacrosse's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
817
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 997 C2
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 Carrera C2  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
2002 Mercedes ML 320  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
But until the M1 actually comes out its all speculation, hell we dont even have exact number on anything at this point.
__________________

Gone: 2008 135i/2006 330i Arrived: 2006 997/Black/Sand Beige Leather/6MT/Sports Chrono Plus/19" Vorsteiner V-308s/Factory Nav/Sports Steering Wheel/Contrasting Mats/Heated Seats/Bose /V1/iPod adapter/Parrot Bluetooth/50% all around/Black "911" script/"Gundo Hack"/AWE black chrome tips/H&R adjustable front and rear sways/Rennline shift knob
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:22 PM   #19
NYC6
Banned
United_States
29
Rep
2,078
Posts

 
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: LI/NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
I won't own any sportscar that I don't frequently drive at the local road course. Of course all cars wear their tires and brakes at the track, but not at the same rate.

I had a good friend with a Mustang GT racecar and it went through a set of Hoosiers every day due to the live axle (corded the outer shoulders after a couple hours each time). My Porsche goes through track tires every 15 track days and keeps its brake pads for about 30 track days. I can't afford to spend $2,000 every track day (I go to the track about 25 times per season).

A 135i can be easily tuned to dial-out the understeer (swaybars and alignment). A Mustang cannot be easily cured of its issues.
I know plenty of guys who have tracked Mustangs before and have owned two myself over the years and never heard of tires getting gobbled up like that before. And there are thousands of lightly modded Pony cars winning lots of races all over the Country. We agree to disagree, To each his own.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #20
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
amdmaxx's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,355
Posts

 
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Cayman S is the best car Porsche makes, despite not getting their best engines.
I really hope M1 will be the best car BMW makes, kinda like most of us would prefer M3 over M5 currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHammer View Post
Most people think that BMW will deliberately make the M1/1M worse then the M3 so that it doesn't affect M3 sales but what if they are waiting to see what success Porsche might have with their Boxter Spyder.... purpose built lightweight car that will be cheaper than a base 911... what if they will surprise us all with a super-light 1 to compete with Porsche's baby racer... HMMMM
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
jmunro
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
338
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

I think the M1 will fix the understeer, high center of gravity; and the power falling off below 5k is not even an issue with current tunes.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #22
BBK
Banned
45
Rep
3,078
Posts

 
Drives: A boring one...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [2.88]
The only competitors I see against the M1 would be:

* Porsche Cayman S
* Audi TTRS

That is it... Audi is faster, looks better. I just read a review in TG Australia which comared the Audi vs Cayman S, and they likes the Audi better. Was faster, gave more confidence, easier to drive etc. And I think it's cheaper too?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:19 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST