BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Gross Glockner Pass – Hoch Strasse

Gross Glockner Pass – Hoch Strasse

I finally got to drive this wonderful road! Ever since I had first heard the word: Grossglockner Pass… I have wanted to drive this road in the clouds. Many years ago I read a story (in a British magazine: CAR) on this mountain pass road. Seems the Silver Arrow race cars use to run around these mountain roads. This was my first taste of this famous road. I have always wanted an excuse to go for a drive around those Alpine roads. Well… last weekend I finally made it possible. Just me and my TiAg 135i.

My plan was to go visit the EFA Museum in Amerang, Germany. Then continue to drive past Salzburg and down the Autobahn to Gmund (in Karten – there is another Gmund near Wein!), Austria. I wanted to go to Gmund (in Karten, near Villach) Austria because I am a huge Porsche fan. Gmund is where any P-fan will tell you the first 48 all aluminum Porsche 356 models were hand made. In near by “Zell am See” is where the Porsche family is buried and still owns a house there.

For some perspective Amerang is about an hour away from Munich (Muenchen). Gmund is about two hours further South in Austria. And the Southern entrance to the Glockner Pass is another hour South of Gmund. Just so you may plan your next ED here!

So, first I went to EFA (you saw my pics posted today, elsewhere on the forum)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=406067

….and then I drove down to Gmund to visit this small private Porsche museum there (maybe 20 cars): Automuseum Helmut Pfeifhofer. I stayed in a small village of Rennweg (Rennweg am Katschberg), at the Alt Post Hotel for the ripe ol’ sum of 35 euros per night! From Gmund I drove another 130kms south to “Heiligenblut” Austria. Heiligenblut is the Southern entrance to the Gross Glockner Pass. That is where all my fun began! What a ROAD!!! All I can say is IF you find yourself in this neck of the woods, I would highly recommend going for a drive up in the clouds: Gross Glockner!

You can find more information here on the Glockner Pass:

http://www.grossglockner.at/en/

The Glockner is considered a toll road open to the public. It costs 28 euros for a ONE day pass. Pretty pricey for a 48 km long road! But… it is still worth it! It is kind of a Nuerburgring in the heavens/clouds. It is really that nice. I did find myself a little scared of the drop offs. Especially since there are little to no guard rails found around the Glockner! There were A LOT of motorcycles roaming around this mountain road. And seemed like ever bike rider was scraping their leg pegs thru the many, many Alpine turns. Every turn was even numbered! lol I did not want to think why one would need to do that! But I did drive under my own limits thru the round a bouts!

I never saw any speed limit signs! Just one sign at the beginning that said please drive SLOW – yea… right! And judging by how fast everyone was screaming and sliding their cars & bikes (and the occasional RV!) around the turns… no one really cared much! I never even saw any cops around!! A very different approach than say in the USA at Skyline Drive (West of Washington DC) where the Park Police sit in wait!!

One cool thing about this road is that a lot of the auto companies use the downhill sections (the Northern entrance, a town called: Pusch) to test their future model brake systems. I saw a new Saab and a current VW Toran being tested. In typical German fashion they even have to label these cars as “test cars” on the back of them! I remember reading somewhere that Brembo and Continental also test here.

What surprised me once I was driving around the Glockner is how much snow they still had up there! I mean it is summer time over here! We have temps in the 90’s F range right now… but up at two thousand plus meters they still had lots of snow laying around! I was also surprised to see there were MANY places to stop and eat lunch at. Or better yet, pack a picnic lunch and find a place to take in the Alpine air. There is even a museum on the Glockner’s historical past. I wish I knew about this before I went there. Ahh… maybe on my next visit there!

At the highest part of the Glockner it was 2.500 meters. (7.500 feet!) And… my poor 135i felt about 60 Hp down on power too! But it still screamed from alpine turn to alpine turn.

Ok, here are my pics:

First a picture of my car in the picture postcard town of “GrossKirchheim” (Big Cherryhome!). I stopped here for lunch before arriving at the Southern entrance of Heiligenblut, Austria.

These next two photos I “borrowed’ from the Glockner website. It really shows(better than my pics) how sweet the Alpine Glockner roads are!

Ok, now my pics…

A very pretty water fall…

A water dam…

One of the many places to stop and get a bite to eat/drink.

Would you LOOK at that road!!! See the covered road half way up that mountain… that is where we are headed!

The cover roadway is coming…

Glockner Haus

One of the two tunnels on the pass... I wish I had a PPE!!!

Look a this SNOW!

This is how they get rid of the snow!

A prototype Saab being tested…

The VW van is also a test car…

The toll plaza at the North entrance…

Some notes for driving in Austria (Österreich).

The biggest tip is you MUST PURCHASE an Autobahn decal in order to legally drive on the Austrian Autobahn. A ten day decal costs seven euros. IF the Polizei stop you with out this decal, the fine is 110 euros right there on the spot! No cash… they will drive you to an ATM! Also… when you buy the decal… you MUST apply it to the front windshield. Failure to do so… will result in an even higher fine! I think 500 euros. You will see signs near the German-Austrian border saying “VignettenVerkauf”. Vignetten is German for toll decal. Normally there will be several signs warning you of this. But normally only the very last one is written in English. By then it will be too late. :”)

How do they catch you? Austria has many tolls as you drive South. It is not that uncommon to have to pay anther ten euros to pass thru a bridge heading south bound. The cops will stand and watch for cars with out any Vignette decal.

VignettenVerkauf at the German – Austrian border heading South into Austria.

You can also exit the autobahn and buy a decal at any as station too. Check out the cheap gas prices in Austria! Some 25 euro cents cheaper than in DE!

And this is what the decal looks like…

The speed limit during the day(in Austria) for cars is 130 kph unless otherwise posted. AT night the speed limit is 110 kph. But most of the autobahns are posted at 100 kph. Don’t speed… bc the Austrian Autobahn Polizei are watching. Also… the Autobahn Polizei cars do not really look like typical Polizei cars. The Austrian tend to like to use small vans with yellow and blue lights. These are in fact real cops! Also do not tail gate… there are some places where the autobahn is specially marked to catch you tail gating! Also… the cop who gives you a speeding ticket doesn’t have to be the one who zaps you with a radar or laser gun. I have seen on German tv where they sit way on the side of the autobahn, on a bridge, or even in the woods, and zap the cars as they go past.

Gmund Porsche Museum, Austria…

The old saw mill factory where Porsche built it’s first 51 cars…

Gmund castle in background… you just keep driving out of town to get to the old saw mill factory…

The private Porsche Museum…

The Austrian autobahn just outside of Gmund…

There are still many saw mill factories in this area of Austria…

IF you would like to see more pics of the Gmund Porsche Museum, you can see my pics here:

http://s764.photobucket.com/albums/x...sche%20Museum/

I feel kind of funny posting car pics of other automobile maker’s other than a BMW’s on a BMW car fan site! Thanks for indulging me.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:18 AM   #2
Erik219
Statistical Consultancy (Medical / Pharma)
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 6 GT

AMAAAAAAZING pics man !!! Thanks for sharing ....
Seems to me like the perfect roads to cruise with our 1-er !!!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      07-09-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Nice car, and awesome roads! I should have done European delivery!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

David, you rule!

You hereby get my nomination as official and honorary 1Addicts tour guide!

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to post these gems,

ianc

"I got 328 loaner and was impressed with performance. It feels much faster than my 135i." - MOCKBA
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10504.50
      07-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

thanks for the tour
      07-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #6
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
wow, what an amazing road! sux about all the rules, but guess its a small price to pay

thanks for all the pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik219 View Post
AMAAAAAAZING pics man !!! Thanks for sharing ....
Seems to me like the perfect roads to cruise with our 1-er !!!
Yea... the Glockner had some great thrills! Some people did get a little bit carried away though. I think you gotta respect this road much like Nuerburgring.

I did see some(four or five?) BMW's "tearing it up" on the Glockner Pass. I was kind of wondering IF maybe it was someone here? I saw an e36 coupe, and bronze e46 M3, an Z4 (first gen body) and a white 130i hatch. All these guys were going nuts slidng thier cars thru the turns! lol I will admidt I wasn't so brave as they were! lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #8
SiN55
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

Summer 2009.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
SiN55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #10
SiN55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

June 2010.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Great photos SiN55!!! Man were there a ton of people/cars in your photos! The place was nearly empty this past Monday when I was there. I did see some guys ridding bicycles too. Your photos really show it better how steep and windy the Glockner is in real life! Thanks for adding onto this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Love the Porsche bucks! They are works of art in themselves.

Thanks all for posting a beautiful trip at different times.
The Pfeifhofer Museum also had this buck of the 550 spyder.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Johan@WSTO
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E89 Z4

Oh wow.. looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing!!
      07-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #14
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

Wow...just wow....Illinois is BORING!!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #15
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Awesome pics. Maybe I'll give everyone a photo tour of the NJ Turnpike. No Porsche museum though.
      07-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #16
SiN55
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Another great Alpine road, Passo Stelvio in Italy.

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #17
Makkasteez
1nt3n5ity
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

looks awesome
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #18
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Thanks! I feel like I took the trip too.
      09-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #19
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

O_O simply amazing!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I think I gotta go checkout the Stelvio Pass while I over here! Those three pics in SiN55's post - the road just looks awsome!!! I think soon winter will come and these roads will be closed for the winter. I don't feel like charging up there with chains on my tires! lol
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:11 AM   #21
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Absolutely sick pics.

Unbelievable

miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #22