BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #23
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
tjm129's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M(382/740) '14 X1X28iM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Pics

Here are pictures of the completed install with the net.

TJ
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #24
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
15
Rep
570
Posts

 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

^^ Nicely done.
So it floats off the floor? Can't secure small objects?
NOTE: I don't have that side net for small objects... I'd be more interested in a DIY for that side net.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #25
jkoral
Captain
United_States
11
Rep
834
Posts

 
Drives: '09 135i MSport 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
Here are pictures of the completed install with the net.
TJ

Thanks a lot for the pics. I'm definitely going to do this.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #26
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Did mine this weekend.

The only thing I noticed, on my car atleast, was that the hole location was a bit less than 2" and a bit more than 1 5/8" from the corners shown on the OP. Also, once you get the initial bolt location setup, use ej4144's steps and bolt the outer plastic piece and use that to make your template. I covered the area to be cut in blue painters tape and then used a sharpie to mark around the outer piece. Worked perfectly.

And again, use ej4144's recommendation of removing the 2 plastic rivets on each side so that you can pull the carpet away from the body and get the inner piece installed without having to snap the 2 locating legs off.

I initially used an exacto knife to cut through the carpet, but it is pretty tough. I ended up using a small pneumatic jig saw that worked through it alot easier.

Thanks again to neilq for making this thread.

Here is a pic:
Attached Images
 
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
neilq
Registered
2
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: '09 128, '08 328, '00 Z3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa

iTrader: (0)

TJM129 Net Part Number

TJM129 is the net part # 51470010557? It fits very well. I'm still using a couple of ratchet straps. I like the way yours fits. Thanks for the pictures.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #28
CM
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

This is awesome. I ordered my parts yesterday and will try this over the weekend. Both ej4144 & flzrider suggested removing the 2 plastic rivets... where are they located?

Thanks,
CM
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
tjm129's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M(382/740) '14 X1X28iM
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilq View Post
TJM129 is the net part # 51470010557? It fits very well. I'm still using a couple of ratchet straps. I like the way yours fits. Thanks for the pictures.
Yes that is the part number of the net I used, and that is what is pictured in my pics above.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #30
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM View Post
This is awesome. I ordered my parts yesterday and will try this over the weekend. Both ej4144 & flzrider suggested removing the 2 plastic rivets... where are they located?

Thanks,
CM


One of them is just underneath the number 1 and the other is where the number 4 points to.

Once those 2 rivets are out you can fold the back seats down and pull on the end of the liner and it will pull away from the body of the car, giving you room to place to install the inner piece.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #31
CM
Enlisted Member
Canada
0
Rep
45
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Thanks flzrider! The picture will really help. One more quick question. Can I just use a flat head screw driver to pop out the plugs or will I need a special trim tool?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #32
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM View Post
Thanks flzrider! The picture will really help. One more quick question. Can I just use a flat head screw driver to pop out the plugs or will I need a special trim tool?
A flat head should work fine. Worst case, you might need 2 flat heads to pry off the rivet from opposing ends.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #33
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
JefryHorizon's Avatar
Thailand
4
Rep
437
Posts

 
Drives: E30 325e
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Valley

iTrader: (3)

Awesome mod! will give it a go and report back. Thank you OP!!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #34
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Rikx1M's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,663
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Did mine...thanks

Now ready for the real world...Thanks again for posting and especially the part numbers.
Attached Images
    
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:51 PM   #35
thepriceisright
Private First Class
2
Rep
103
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikx1M View Post
Now ready for the real world...Thanks again for posting and especially the part numbers.
What all do you keep in your trunk?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #36
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Rikx1M's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
1,663
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M #739/740
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepriceisright View Post
What all do you keep in your trunk?
I keep a larger first aid kit as I'm a ski patroller (like an EMT), also a blanket and generic stuff.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #37
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
Mr Kleen's Avatar
Germany
17
Rep
1,590
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i "Nina"
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [2.75]
2013 BMW X1  [5.00]
After seeing Drillslinger's setup on Saturday I decided to order the parts myself.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
Mr Kleen's Avatar
Germany
17
Rep
1,590
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i "Nina"
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [2.75]
2013 BMW X1  [5.00]
I just finished the install, took less than an hour. As others have said, I found the bolt hole a little higher than the 1 5/8" in the original post. I also used the actual plastic trim piece instead of a paper template to mark the cut-out, and I removed the two plastic rivets so I could peel back the trunk liner and not cut the plastic tabs. It was a little tedious trimming the hole till the plastic trim piece fit but it fits snug and looks good.

My German neighbor walked through the garage while I was in the trunk and gave me a funny look. I told him not to worry, I was just drilling holes in a my new car.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this DIY.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:23 AM   #39
kin74
Private
kin74's Avatar
Italy
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 120d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VR

iTrader: (0)

I know this is a stupid question, but when you write 1 5/8'' do you mean 1 + 5/8 = 1,625''?
Just to be sure to properly convert this value in millimeters.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
15
Rep
570
Posts

 
Drives: '12 SGM 135i DCT/CA/MSport/PPK
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin74 View Post
I know this is a stupid question, but when you write 1 5/8'' do you mean 1 + 5/8 = 1,625''?
Just to be sure to properly convert this value in millimeters.
(1 inch) + (5/8 of an inch) = 24.5 mm x 1.625 = 41.275 mm

I can't think of any other reasonable interpretation.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:00 AM   #41
kin74
Private
kin74's Avatar
Italy
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 120d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VR

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
(1 inch) + (5/8 of an inch) = 24.5 mm x 1.625 = 41.275 mm

I can't think of any other reasonable interpretation.
Me too, just asked for confirmation.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #42
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,662
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kleen View Post
I just finished the install, took less than an hour. As others have said, I found the bolt hole a little higher than the 1 5/8" in the original post. I also used the actual plastic trim piece instead of a paper template to mark the cut-out, and I removed the two plastic rivets so I could peel back the trunk liner and not cut the plastic tabs. It was a little tedious trimming the hole till the plastic trim piece fit but it fits snug and looks good.

My German neighbor walked through the garage while I was in the trunk and gave me a funny look. I told him not to worry, I was just drilling holes in a my new car.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this DIY.

I love it when my German neighbor catch me working on my car and they shoot you one of those "looks"!

Most Germans would just take it to the Meister and not mess around with their cars. I can't understand why they don't like to work on their own cars! lol
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #43
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
Mr Kleen's Avatar
Germany
17
Rep
1,590
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 135i "Nina"
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wiesbaden

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [2.75]
2013 BMW X1  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kin74 View Post
I know this is a stupid question, but when you write 1 5/8'' do you mean 1 + 5/8 = 1,625''?
Just to be sure to properly convert this value in millimeters.
Oddly enough fifteen-eighths of an inch is probably just about right.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #44
kin74
Private
kin74's Avatar
Italy
0
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 120d
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: VR

iTrader: (0)

I finally did it, thanks for the DIY.



Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
1-series, cargo, e82, hooks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST