BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quality Tinting in Northern VA?

I'm on the new bimmerpost app at the service center waiting for my car and unfortunately there's no search function on this thing.

Does anyone know of a good tint shop around Fairfax, VA that won't mind doing illegal tint and do it well. Looking for 20% all around like I've had with my previous cars and I don't want to take the drive up to the shop I've been to before in MD.

Thanks!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Think LA Tint will do it for you. Had my RSX done at 30% a few years back and they did a really good job. I had to pay cash (no paper trail) b/c it was darker than legal, but he gave me his card as a receipt and told me to bring it in if I ever had problems. They have a couple of locations in the area - Alexandria, Sterling, Centerville, and Woodbridge. They use F1 tint and I don't think they carry a 20% - could be wrong but I think it's only 30 or 15.

Let me know what you find out/where you go. I'm looking for 20% as well. Think 15% may be a tad too dark for the FFX Cty LEOs, but think the 30% is too light.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
enigma135
Lieutenant
enigma135's Avatar
5
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bethesda, MD

iTrader: (0)

Hey Gdubz where did you go in MD I'm just looking for a good shop to take mine to as well.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
Think LA Tint will do it for you. Had my RSX done at 30% a few years back and they did a really good job. I had to pay cash (no paper trail) b/c it was darker than legal, but he gave me his card as a receipt and told me to bring it in if I ever had problems. They have a couple of locations in the area - Alexandria, Sterling, Centerville, and Woodbridge. They use F1 tint and I don't think they carry a 20% - could be wrong but I think it's only 30 or 15.

Let me know what you find out/where you go. I'm looking for 20% as well. Think 15% may be a tad too dark for the FFX Cty LEOs, but think the 30% is too light.
I drive past the LA Tint place in Centreville all the time when I'm heading out to a friend's house there... I just didn't know if they were any good or not. I'll call and see if they can do 20% and let you guys know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma135 View Post
Hey Gdubz where did you go in MD I'm just looking for a good shop to take mine to as well.
I went to this place called Fresh Designs Inc. in College Park. Their place was pretty ghetto but they did an amazing job on both my 03 Civic SI hatch and my 05 STI sedan when I had them done there. A friend recommended them to me. From their website, it looks like they got a new facility... (freshdesignsinc.com)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Definitely let us know. If you want to wait a few days, I'll go in with you and maybe we can get a group buy I should take delivery of my car this week and will be tinting asap.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
37
Rep
2,236
Posts

 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
had mine done at LA tint in sterling. did a great job
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
Definitely let us know. If you want to wait a few days, I'll go in with you and maybe we can get a group buy I should take delivery of my car this week and will be tinting asap.
Thinking about heading to TNT Tint, ever heard of them?

http://************/2v438ot
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
had mine done at LA tint in sterling. did a great job
What % and any pics of how it turned out? (decent daytime shot)
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #9
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
37
Rep
2,236
Posts

 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
^ got the legal tint. I think I paid around $250. you can check out my garage for pics
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
Thinking about heading to TNT Tint, ever heard of them?

http://************/2v438ot
I've heard of them, but don't have any first hand experience. Apparently it's a one man show and he specializes in BMWs, so that can't hurt. Looks like his prices are pretty reasonable too. Did you swing by, or just find it online?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
^ got the legal tint. I think I paid around $250. you can check out my garage for pics
That looks really good (and dark) for legal. I like!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
I've heard of them, but don't have any first hand experience. Apparently it's a one man show and he specializes in BMWs, so that can't hurt. Looks like his prices are pretty reasonable too. Did you swing by, or just find it online?
That was just a google search, I've not been by there in person.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

I live about 2 miles from the shop, so I'll try to check it out after work today. I'll ask about a group discount if we bring in a few cars. Would anybody else be interested in this so I can give him a ballpark #? Not sure if it'll fly, but worth a shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #13
enigma135
Lieutenant
enigma135's Avatar
5
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: 09 SG/Coral 135i Convertible
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bethesda, MD

iTrader: (0)

I might be interested if we can get a good deal on the tint job
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Cy3
Private
Cy3's Avatar
0
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 128i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NoVa.

iTrader: (1)

Mark me down as 'in' on the group tinting...on a decent price of course.
__________________

Current: '11 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
2010-2011: '11 128i E82//6AT//SpaceGray//Value//Heated Steering//Heated Seats//Moonroof
2009-2010: '06 325i E90//6MT//Sapphire Black//Beige//Dark Burl//Premium//Cold
2006-2009: '02 325ci E46//5MT//Steel Blue Metallic//Grey//Premium//Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:23 AM   #15
stevend218
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
216
Posts

 
Drives: In the left lane
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Phoenix

iTrader: (1)

TNT tint in alexandria did mine in 20%, no questions asked. He did an excellent job too
__________________
2011 135i AW/CR 6MT | KW V2's | Injen CAI | AR Resonated Downpipe | Berk Full Street Performance Exhaust System | Vishnu N55 Tune | AA Sport FMIC |
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Guess I got lucky on that google search and TNT looks like a good place...

Let me know if you went by Agent P. I'm getting this done, group buy or not. Just need to settle on a day/time.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #17
Cy3
Private
Cy3's Avatar
0
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 128i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NoVa.

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
Guess I got lucky on that google search and TNT looks like a good place...
It's a good place if you can lock the guy down, he's pretty squirrely. I've tried to contact him a couple times because I hear he does great work for a good price, but each time its "im on my way out and won't be back for a week - ill call you back" or "Try me back in a couple weeks". He needs an assistant...badly.
__________________

Current: '11 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
2010-2011: '11 128i E82//6AT//SpaceGray//Value//Heated Steering//Heated Seats//Moonroof
2009-2010: '06 325i E90//6MT//Sapphire Black//Beige//Dark Burl//Premium//Cold
2006-2009: '02 325ci E46//5MT//Steel Blue Metallic//Grey//Premium//Heated Seats
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Sorry guys, just spent 5 hours of my life at Kinkos Didn't have time to swing by, but sent him an email last night. Unfortunately he doesn't do group discounts The price for a 1 series is $180, but didn't elaborate on what brand/type of film is used for that price. I'm assuming this is just for the standard dyed film. Can anybody else who's been there chime in on that? I sent him an email back asking about prices for different brands and film quality (ceramic, etc.), but haven't heard back as of now. He said he carries 50,35,20, and 5% and has no problem installing whatever you want.

Looks like a decent price, but I'm interested in what type of film is used for that amount and how much higher quality film runs. Sounded like a pretty cool guy and he was responsive at least. As others have said, I'm sure he's real busy being a one man show. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on what I hear back from him.

On a brighter note, picking up my car tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Thanks for doing the research Agent P! Not a bad price at all. I paid $160 for my old 3-dr civic SI hatchback and then $200 for my 5-dr WRX STI hatchback in the past, so I'd say $180 is definitely a reasonable price.

Let me know when you plan to get it done, I'll see if I can't schedule mine right after you, or something.

Also... Pics when you pick it up today!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 10:48 AM   #20
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
Thanks for doing the research Agent P! Not a bad price at all. I paid $160 for my old 3-dr civic SI hatchback and then $200 for my 5-dr WRX STI hatchback in the past, so I'd say $180 is definitely a reasonable price.

Let me know when you plan to get it done, I'll see if I can't schedule mine right after you, or something.

Also... Pics when you pick it up today!
No sweat. Unfortunately no car today, or for a while. It's at the dealership...but they built it with the wrong interior color. Needless to say I'm and at the same time. You can read more details here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450372

If you get it done, let me know what you get and how it looks. I'll need some sweet pics to look at while I continue to wait...
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #21
Gdubz
Private First Class
Gdubz's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 Crimson Red 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Gdubz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent P View Post
No sweat. Unfortunately no car today, or for a while. It's at the dealership...but they built it with the wrong interior color. Needless to say I'm and at the same time. You can read more details here http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=450372

If you get it done, let me know what you get and how it looks. I'll need some sweet pics to look at while I continue to wait...
Oh wow... That's pretty fucked up man. Read the main post but not all the replies yet, so I don't know if you made a decision. That said... Don't take white/black. I'm not saying this because I think its a bad color combo, its probably not bad at all and would look really good with some black rims/accents, etc. I'm saying this because its not what you wanted. Plain and simple.

You could take it as is right now, guarantee you a couple months, maybe a year even, down the line you'll look back and regret it for the simple fact that it wasn't what you originally wanted. It will just eat at you man.

That's just my opinion based on having made a similar decision in the past. Not on something I ordered being messed up, but not waiting for a color to be available and buying the one on the lot.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Agent P
Private First Class
2
Rep
119
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdubz View Post
Oh wow... That's pretty fucked up man. Read the main post but not all the replies yet, so I don't know if you made a decision. That said... Don't take white/black. I'm not saying this because I think its a bad color combo, its probably not bad at all and would look really good with some black rims/accents, etc. I'm saying this because its not what you wanted. Plain and simple.

You could take it as is right now, guarantee you a couple months, maybe a year even, down the line you'll look back and regret it for the simple fact that it wasn't what you originally wanted. It will just eat at you man.

That's just my opinion based on having made a similar decision in the past. Not on something I ordered being messed up, but not waiting for a color to be available and buying the one on the lot.
Yeah it's pretty shitty, I'm not happy I have to continue to wait to say the least. Long story short - dealer screwed up the build sheet and it came in black instead of coral. Haven't made a decision yet. I told the CA I don't want it and unless they offer some sort of compensation for the next one, I'm walking on the deal. I'm meeting with the GM tmw or Sat to figure something out. It's a matter of principle and integrity right now. No way am I letting them pin their mistake on me and my wallet.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST