BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-30-2015, 08:40 AM   #1
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Does anyone know if there is a DIY anywhere for resetting/recalibrating this sensor? I've read it's fairly simple but haven't found exactly how to do it yet. I have a BRAKE and DSC light on that I've done a lot of research on and this is one of several things that could be the culprit so I would like to attempt it myself. The lights come on at random when, it seems most often, I am making a long left turn on a highway 40mph and above. Any additional ideas are also welcome.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Rob.K
Private First Class
Rob.K's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
169
Posts

Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton, AB

iTrader: (3)

If you have Tool32, try this.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...37&postcount=9
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
1431
Rep
17,807
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

No special tools needed... Here is what DriveHard showed us how to calibrate the SZL sensor...


Post #7
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482



HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU G BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
without passing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.


you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
________________
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No special tools needed... Here is what DriveHard showed us how to calibrate the SZL sensor...


Post #7
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482



HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU G BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
without passing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.


you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
________________

I will certainly be doing this first thing in the morning! It seems Bimmber-Bob was having the same issues to a T so we will see how it goes. The lights only started coming on after the dealer had to reprogram a new headlight assembly and every time they do any kind of programming in my experience, they seem to have updated everything so I would imagine I am dealing with the same type of situation.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:19 AM   #5
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No special tools needed... Here is what DriveHard showed us how to calibrate the SZL sensor...


Post #7
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504482



HOPE YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU G BACK..

sit in car,
start engine,
have steering wheel in straight ahead position
without pausing, turn wheel slowly all the way to the left and pause at the end for a second or 2
without passing, turn all the way to the right and pause at the end for a second or 2
repeat the last 2 steps and end in the straight ahead position.

turn off car, wait a minute, restart, and drive away for a few hundred feet.


you just calibrated your SZL ( steering wheel sensor to tell dsc if wheel is turned and to what degree)

other lights come on by default.

Good Luck...
________________


UHHHH, had so much hope for this simple fix. Not sure if I'm not going slow enough but the lights continue to come on. They go off every time I restart the car and drive a few feet and then again, back on at complete random. It is definitely something with the steering, it has to be. Another mentioned it might be a good idea to get an alignment as a similar issue they were having was solved by getting this done, but my car seems to be in perfect alignment. I've had one done twice in 2 years both times I got new tires BUT this issue did happen after an accident with damage to the left front. No wheel/axle damage but who knows, maybe something was knocked loose or the BMW tech programmed something incorrectly when doing his thing with the new air bag or headlight. I guess we shall see....more tricks are welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
1431
Rep
17,807
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
UHHHH, had so much hope for this simple fix. Not sure if I'm not going slow enough but the lights continue to come on. They go off every time I restart the car and drive a few feet and then again, back on at complete random. It is definitely something with the steering, it has to be. Another mentioned it might be a good idea to get an alignment as a similar issue they were having was solved by getting this done, but my car seems to be in perfect alignment. I've had one done twice in 2 years both times I got new tires BUT this issue did happen after an accident with damage to the left front. No wheel/axle damage but who knows, maybe something was knocked loose or the BMW tech programmed something incorrectly when doing his thing with the new air bag or headlight. I guess we shall see....more tricks are welcome!
Take your car to a dealer... and have your insurance deal with it - since its related to the accident. The insurance company can reopen your claim and repair your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #7
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Take your car to a dealer... and have your insurance deal with it - since its related to the accident. The insurance company can reopen your claim and repair your car.
Well, I have USAA and according to them, they do not pay to have lights dealt with directly. I was told that if it turns out it was determined to be a result of the accident, they will reimburse but that's it....probably the route I will have to take. The accident was completely cosmetic other than this one thing...pain in the butt.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 05:14 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
1431
Rep
17,807
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
Well, I have USAA and according to them, they do not pay to have lights dealt with directly. I was told that if it turns out it was determined to be a result of the accident, they will reimburse but that's it....probably the route I will have to take. The accident was completely cosmetic other than this one thing...pain in the butt.
Just talk to your dealer... tell them it happened AFTER your car was repaired in the accident. Get it noted on the Repair Order... then IF your insurance company gives you grief, contact your state's Insurance Commissioner via a registered letter. Usually IF you tell your insurance company that you will go to your state's Insurance Commissioner, they will bend over backwards for that NOT to occur.

Btw... did you ever have your battery cable recall done? I wonder IF that could be part of the problem?

Good Luck,
Dackel
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:05 AM   #9
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
Well, I have USAA and according to them, they do not pay to have lights dealt with directly. I was told that if it turns out it was determined to be a result of the accident, they will reimburse but that's it....probably the route I will have to take. The accident was completely cosmetic other than this one thing...pain in the butt.
Just talk to your dealer... tell them it happened AFTER your car was repaired in the accident. Get it noted on the Repair Order... then IF your insurance company gives you grief, contact your state's Insurance Commissioner via a registered letter. Usually IF you tell your insurance company that you will go to your state's Insurance Commissioner, they will bend over backwards for that NOT to occur.

Btw... did you ever have your battery cable recall done? I wonder IF that could be part of the problem?

Good Luck,
Dackel
I did way back when I first got my car during a state inspection or something...I will definitely take your advice on that one though, thank you....so full of useful information you are! I've worked hard to keep my car perfect so little things like this drive me nuts!
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2015, 06:31 AM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
1431
Rep
17,807
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
I did way back when I first got my car during a state inspection or something...I will definitely take your advice on that one though, thank you....so full of useful information you are! I've worked hard to keep my car perfect so little things like this drive me nuts!
^^


Also... IF your car has "active steering" it requires a special kind of alignment. I don't know exactly what is different... but I've seen guys here posting that the alignment cost for cars with AS is a lot more expensive than on normal cars. Most of the time only the dealers can do an alignment on AS cars. ?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
lainmike0710
Banned
7
Rep
133
Posts

Drives: '10 e82 128i
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (-2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by lainmike0710 View Post
I did way back when I first got my car during a state inspection or something...I will definitely take your advice on that one though, thank you....so full of useful information you are! I've worked hard to keep my car perfect so little things like this drive me nuts!
^^


Also... IF your car has "active steering" it requires a special kind of alignment. I don't know exactly what is different... but I've seen guys here posting that the alignment cost for cars with AS is a lot more expensive than on normal cars. Most of the time only the dealers can do an alignment on AS cars. ?
I don't have AS and I'm glad for that..been told it ruins the driving experience as far as true feel goes. Also, as far as I've always heard/known, active steering or not, dealer still needs to do the alignment because they use weight inside the car on the seats to simulate the necessary situation. I've never had any normal auto repair shop claim to be able to do a BMW...even shops whose sole business is alignments.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:49 AM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST