BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

View Poll Results: Color Temp of HIDs
4000k 7 12.73%
6000k 34 61.82%
8000k 14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #155
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
sorry my knowledge of all the acronyms on this forum is lacking so to speak...

So if I am understanding you correctly there IS a way to re-wire the DEPOs outside of the units in the main area to allow the DRLs to run alongside that of the Angels?

Seeing as you are getting this done tomorrow would you let us know how easy of a job it would be to re-wire that configuration?
Its all good. You couldn't imagine how long it took me to figure out what that meant, I was too worried about looking stupid to ask what it meant
Yes, there is a way to rewire the angel eyes to act as the DRLs (by themselves just as the oem angel eyes do) by rewiring outside. It should be pretty simple from starting at scratch. For mine, it has to be rewired, not sure when it will be done, but I am going over to the shop now to finalize some things.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #156
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Look forward to more information tonight and tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:11 PM   #157
AW128i
Major
AW128i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,004
Posts

 
Drives: E82 N51
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern, PA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to AW128i
Sam, can you find out how the LED AEs are wired up? Are they wired (internally in the light housings) to the parking lights? If I knew how the Depos lights were wired, I wouldn't be asking. If we can take them "out of the equation," so to speak, then we can wire them up manually to function how we wish. If they're wired integral to the lights (meaning, they replace a function found on the factory lights), then we have the CAN-BUS system to deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #158
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Sam, can you find out how the LED AEs are wired up? Are they wired (internally in the light housings) to the parking lights? If I knew how the Depos lights were wired, I wouldn't be asking. If we can take them "out of the equation," so to speak, then we can wire them up manually to function how we wish. If they're wired integral to the lights (meaning, they replace a function found on the factory lights), then we have the CAN-BUS system to deal with.
On mine, the angel eyes are wired to the parking lights, hence why they are not DRLs, however, they can be wired "out of the equation" so that you can use them as such. If this is an option you would like, we have the relay to sell and that only costs $30 to make your Angel Eyes the DRLs.

As for price, we are still confirming the shipping prices (damn fedex and ups LOL) but will have a definite out the door price shipping included to the lower 48 states by tomorrow 5pm. Don't hate me guys, I do my best to bring the best to you
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:18 PM   #159
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
So we would need a relay to use the DRLs with Angels? By adjusting this switch how would that affect the other functions?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #160
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
So we would need a relay to use the DRLs with Angels? By adjusting this switch how would that affect the other functions?
Relay is only necessary to use the AEs as DRLs. This wouldn't affect any functions except allow you to run only the AEs as DRLs when the switch is on automatic and its light outside. hope that helps?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:26 PM   #161
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
I guess it is personal preference then to have the Angels as only DRLs or just have the normal DRLs. Im stumped as to which one I would want... I am assuming though that the popular choice would be to have the Angels as the DRLs
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #162
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
I guess it is personal preference then to have the Angels as only DRLs or just have the normal DRLs. Im stumped as to which one I would want... I am assuming though that the popular choice would be to have the Angels as the DRLs
Yep completely personal preference. But, and this is a big but LOL, you must order one or the other, as if you get them as I did, everything is wired within the depos and ready to go. If you want to use the AEs as DRLs its wired a bit differently and you will need the relay as I stated that we sell.

How I feel about mine: I would like to have the AEs run as DRLs, but I kinda like the fact that I don't have them running all the time as it gives it somewhat of "stock" look during the day, and then pure sexyness at night LOL. And if I ever want to have them on during the day, I just flip the switch over to the right and they go on with the hids Call me crazy, but I kinda like the idea of having a stock look during the day and HIDs and AEs at night.


Also, if I haven't mentioned already, we will be selling the Fog Light HIDs as well. I will get a picture of the fogs at night to give you guys a good idea of how they look with everything.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #163
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
I will decide soon... not 100% sure yet. I like the stock look, but having the AEs running as DRLs would be really cool. How much harder is it to hook up with the AEs as DRLs?

The HID Fogs sound sexy! Im assuming those are easy install?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #164
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
I will decide soon... not 100% sure yet. I like the stock look, but having the AEs running as DRLs would be really cool. How much harder is it to hook up with the AEs as DRLs?

The HID Fogs sound sexy! Im assuming those are easy install?
Not that much harder if at all, its just a different way of wiring it. Reason I am not doing it is because it would require us to reopen my headlights to rewire it. Fogs are pretty much plug and play while you do the headlight install.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #165
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Im assuming we can specify and order tomorrow? And what will be the wait time of getting the DEPOs installed and out to us? (not carrier time but time to make order).
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #166
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Im assuming we can specify and order tomorrow? And what will be the wait time of getting the DEPOs installed and out to us? (not carrier time but time to make order).
Correct about specification and ordering tomorrow. I will try to get the final price as soon as possible, as I go to work at 5pm PST (california). I have a set price, already, but need to make sure without a doubt that it will cover shipping costs etc...

Wait time will depend on many factors, but it should be in a 1 month time frame, as depending on when you order, we may or may not have the items stock (limited quantity right now) edit: this time frame starts from the moment of order

Last edited by Sarracino89; 01-18-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: time frame
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #167
AW128i
Major
AW128i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,004
Posts

 
Drives: E82 N51
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern, PA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to AW128i
Sam, good information, as always. More questions about how the AEs are wired up in your headlights.

You mentioned that they're wired to the parking lights. Does this mean that if you code the car for the "corner delete mod" (i.e., coding the car to remove the front sidemarker lights so they only light up as turn signals, as they are in Europe) you will lose the AEs? I assume they are actually wired to what, in the normal halogen lights, is the city light found in the high beam reflector? Otherwise, I think they would blink with the turn signal??

Anyway, my questions may be numerous, but I promise that they're all in trying to determine whether or not we can truly wire up the LED AEs to be DRLs (note, they would not be controlled via the BC DRL option) and then parking lights whenever the light switch is on (either via Auto, or physically turned to On).

Finally, anyway you can find out if the AEs, as you're currently running them, are running on the full 12v? Or, are they running a reduced voltage? If they're running a reduced voltage, then we should be able to mimic the factory implementation (i.e., bright during the day, dimmed when the lights are on). If, on the other hand, they're running the full 12v when the lights are on, then we would have to figure out a way to step up the voltage to get them brighter during the day. Of course, then I have questions about the LEDs being used for this conversion. Anyway to get the specs on them?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #168
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Sam, good information, as always. More questions about how the AEs are wired up in your headlights.

You mentioned that they're wired to the parking lights. Does this mean that if you code the car for the "corner delete mod" (i.e., coding the car to remove the front sidemarker lights so they only light up as turn signals, as they are in Europe) you will lose the AEs? I assume they are actually wired to what, in the normal halogen lights, is the city light found in the high beam reflector? Otherwise, I think they would blink with the turn signal??

Anyway, my questions may be numerous, but I promise that they're all in trying to determine whether or not we can truly wire up the LED AEs to be DRLs (note, they would not be controlled via the BC DRL option) and then parking lights whenever the light switch is on (either via Auto, or physically turned to On).

Finally, anyway you can find out if the AEs, as you're currently running them, are running on the full 12v? Or, are they running a reduced voltage? If they're running a reduced voltage, then we should be able to mimic the factory implementation (i.e., bright during the day, dimmed when the lights are on). If, on the other hand, they're running the full 12v when the lights are on, then we would have to figure out a way to step up the voltage to get them brighter during the day. Of course, then I have questions about the LEDs being used for this conversion. Anyway to get the specs on them?
I will try to find out the answers to this question today. What I do know is that, they can in fact be wired to be used as DRLs, and that they don't blink with the turn signals. Again I will see if I can get the answered asap. More questions=more clarity ...... so ask away
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #169
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Im assuming no news today?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:38 AM   #170
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Im assuming no news today?
Sorry I was called into work a bit earlier and wasn't able to get everything together. I am writing up the Sale thread as we speak and will post the link here either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I did find out that the LEDs are running 12v of power. They are pretty bright during the day and definitely noticeable. Hope this helps?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #171
Satalite
Colonel
Satalite's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
2,894
Posts

 
Drives: 128i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Georgia

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2009 128i  [5.00]
Yes helps a lot! Since they are running on 12v and are bright then do you think that would be worth getting them for DRLs?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #172
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Yes helps a lot! Since they are running on 12v and are bright then do you think that would be worth getting them for DRLs?
If I could go back and do them scratch (like you guys will be since you haven't ordered them just yet) I would have, especially for only $30 more for the relay.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #173
AW128i
Major
AW128i's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
1,004
Posts

 
Drives: E82 N51
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeastern, PA

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to AW128i
Sam, can you clarify the DRL setup for these lights? You state that a relay is required (perhaps along the same lines as I suggested earlier in the thread) but you also stated that the AEs are wired up to the parking lights. If we're using a relay to power the AEs for DRL use, what are we doing to satisfy the CAN-BUS? If I'm not mistaken, if the lights are totally taken out of the equation (which I imagine they would need to be to get them to operate as DRLs), wouldn't the CAN-BUS see a malfunctioning bulb and throw errors?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 11:31 AM   #174
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
Sam, can you clarify the DRL setup for these lights? You state that a relay is required (perhaps along the same lines as I suggested earlier in the thread) but you also stated that the AEs are wired up to the parking lights. If we're using a relay to power the AEs for DRL use, what are we doing to satisfy the CAN-BUS? If I'm not mistaken, if the lights are totally taken out of the equation (which I imagine they would need to be to get them to operate as DRLs), wouldn't the CAN-BUS see a malfunctioning bulb and throw errors?
I assume it is how you outlined earlier on wiring them for DRL. I already spoke with the shop, and we will be giving detailed instructions as to how to wire it for DRLs. I am not sure on the rest of your question, and to be honest I am unaware of what the CAN-BUS is? I am quite busy today with school (where I am at now) and have work after, but will forward these questions/concerns to the shop to get them answered for you. I am going to delay the group buy until we get these questions answered, because I don't won't to be sending you guys parts that you aren't fully sure about.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #175
jaespark87
Captain
jaespark87's Avatar
15
Rep
720
Posts

 
Drives: AW 2011 128i
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (7)

no official price yet?
__________________
Tint
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2011, 01:29 PM   #176
Sarracino89
First Lieutenant
Sarracino89's Avatar
7
Rep
394
Posts

 
Drives: 128i Black on Black
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaespark87 View Post
no official price yet?
I do have final pricing, but am holding off till we get the DRL concern answered so that I can correctly detail the conversion in a group buy thread.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST