BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #111
Focusedintntions
Colonel

Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by octironSmith View Post
So do we think this is worth the loss of comfort? Thoughts?

Wasn't this with complete CF body panel replacement?
yes and with no interior or carpeting or anything else in teh car....pure race car.
      06-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #112
The1
Major General

Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by octironSmith View Post
So do we think this is worth the loss of comfort? Thoughts?

Wasn't this with complete CF body panel replacement?
I think 3200 would be pushing it for daily comfort.

if you did a carbon front end and carbon trunk with light weight battery and some other minor tinkering, you're probably about as far as would be considered usable.

once you start driving around without a back seat and trunk lining, you're entering a different level of discomfort.

I would be willing to bet that 3300 is more reasonable then 3200lbs, but, everyone has a different opinion of what is tollerable, it's up to you to decide.

I had a car that I drove for about a year that was pretty much stripped out, was one of the most fun times of my life, unless I was on a road trip, and I never missed music so much (and the car had a stereo, it was just not that audible over the noises of the car)

It's a fine line, but it's up to you.

I would keep it simple, carbon hood and trunk, light weight wheels, and maybe sun roof. Take the back seat out for track days. and maybe scrap the plastic under the hood, it's very unnecessary. Going light weight battery does sit on the fence in my opinion. I love the idea but I know the battery is in the back for weight distribution purposes, and putting a light weight one in there when you have a massive front mount intercooler is going to move the bias to the front. This is why I've left my battery stock.

I'm willing to bet this would put the car at the 3300lbs and maybe a touch lighter mark

100lbs off a car is very noticeable to me. So, really depends how greedy for light weight you get

That 2500lbs car isn't usable on the street anymore. It may still be licensed, but there would be nothing legal about it.
The1 is offline   Canada
      06-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #113
pixelblue
Colonel

Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I would keep it simple, carbon hood and trunk, light weight wheels, and maybe sun roof.
not sure if I am missing something but how is that simple?

3300 is no loss in comfort. 3200 you're looking in more road noise, so forth and so on...
      06-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #114
The1
Major General

Drives: white 135

lol, that's why the "maybe" I tend to make simple things complicated....
The1 is offline   Canada
      06-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #115
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [3.53]
3,300 is easy and comfortable. The car is just as comfortable as it was stock. It depends what your definition of comfort is.

3,200 is easy as well. I used to run without the backseat, floor mats, and a stripped trunk. The biggest differences were road/exhaust noise, especially with the Cf trunk with no lining, and buffering when the windows are rolled down, wind getting caught against inside of trunk. Simple solution was to open more than one window or the sunroof as well. And yes, 100 lbs makes a huge difference.

The 2,500 was completely stripped. I think the FE was CF
Obv the trunk and hood as well. Race seats. Etc. It would be easy to achieve, but many "creature comforts" would be lost. It could be a daily driver if you're okay with that sort of thing.
      10-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #116
Xearo
Because 6466

Drives: Single Turbo 135i

I know this is an old thread but just FYI the mid section exhaust for an N54 weighs 29lbs And the rear muffler section weighs 28lbs. I can weigh the factory downpipes as well if anyone would like.
Xearo is offline   United_States
      10-16-2012, 09:16 PM   #117
DRedman45
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 e86 //M coupe

^good thread to bump

I find it odd that nobody has chimed in on the greater effects of getting rid of rotating mass vs deadweight...I am not so technical on the engineering/physics of it, but reducing rotating weight has a much greater impact on the power being put to the ground...10lb/corner lighter wheels and tires will give you better performance than losing 60lbs of deadweight
      03-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #118
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 135i Sedona Red

Again old thread bump, there may be a new one, but this should get cleaned up/updated, and made into a sticky!

"I'd rather be whackin tangos"
      03-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #119
MuNkY6913
The Crowing

Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [4.00]
Combined OEM clutch plate, clutch disk and dual mass flywheel is 42.2 lbs including the bolts holding the clutch to the flywheel and the stock spindle in the flywheel. It's substantially heavier than the Spec stage 2+ Steele single mass flywheel and clutch disk and clutch plate. I'm sure you can get the exact weights from Spec. No way I'm taking it off the car to weight it. Haha. But picking the spec flywheel up after taking the stock one off I remembered saying holy crap this thing is light.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
MuNkY6913 is offline   United_States