BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #67
Guardian
Private
United_States

Drives: 135is, AW/Coral Red #190/586

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGirl View Post
Wanted to post another sunroof explosion case...this happenned to me this morning while I was driving at highway speeds on the DVP! It sounded like a bullet and the glass shards and chunks came down on my hair and all around me..Luckily, I managed to change 3 lanes to exit and pull over to nearest road. Insurance is still determining if it's a mfg defect, where they will not cover. But BMW said that since my car is outside of warranty already, they may not cover it too...I'm still anxious to hear the decision, which they won't be able to confirm until 4 days later on Tuesday!
Glad you're ok, given the situation. Hopefully BMW or your insurance takes care of this for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #68
GadgetGirl

Drives: 128i Sedona Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Is that a 24-105mm coffee mug I see?
Why yes it is! Good eye! Funny that only people in this forum would noticed that!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #69
Ash83
Major
United_States

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5

WOW.. Glad you are ok. I remember a post like this couple of years a go..

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #70
P1et
Brigadier General

Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i

Quote:
Why yes it is! Good eye! Funny that only people in this forum would noticed that!
I just purchased a 24-105mm so immediately noticed that. Where did you get the mug from? I want one!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #71
GadgetGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I just purchased a 24-105mm so immediately noticed that. Where did you get the mug from? I want one!
I got it on eBay from this seller..he has different types for sale right now, but not the expandable/zoom version I have:
http://shop.mobileweb.ebay.com/searc...%3Aronaldnet88
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #72
ATSR
Captain
No_Country

Drives: TTRS - APR Stage I

F*****G BMW... now we also have to worry about the sunroof exploding!!!

Like there isn't enough crap that goes wrong already
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #73
GadgetGirl

I wanted to provide an update of my sunroof explosion after hearing BMW's decision today and also share research that I found in hopes to raise more awareness of these explosions resulting from manufacturing defects, as this will happen again if something is not done.

BMW informed me today that since my car's warranty expired already (which was only 4 months ago), they are not responsible and will not cover the costs. But from all the research I've done online, this points to a manufacturing defect, and has not only happened to BMW drivers, but drivers of other cars. So I've submitted my story to media channels in hopes to spread more public awareness, in hopes that car makers will issue redesigns, recalls, or safety warnings, as these types of explosions have been happening for years, and the next time it may potentially cause a death due to the violent result from the glass explosion. Here's the details of my explosion and the research explaining the cause of pressure or temperature differentials causing the glass to break, as opposed to a flying rock hitting the glass, which I also shared with BMW before they arrived at their decision:

After the explosion, my sunroof glass was pushing up/skywards not inwards after the incident, which the Police first noticed at the scene of the incident, and said probable cause for mfg defect instead of any rock hitting the glass that would cause that type of shatter. And from my research online, I found that there have been numerous sunroof explosion cases happening in Canada, and US:

1) I found this US TV news video clip which covers the same type of sunroof explosion that happened to me, and a UC Mech Engineering Prof explains that this type of explosion could not have scientifically happenned with a rock hitting the glass, and more likely the cause of a mfg defect:
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=8026317

2) In this Hyundai forum, the cause of the sunroof explosion was explained-"What's causing the exploding is not rocks or foreign objects, but high pressure inside the cabin and low pressure above the glass caused by fast highway driving. This puts too much upward pressure on the glass when it's closed." -posted by "Smallaxe".
http://www.veloster.org/forum/37-hyu...-13-print.html

3)Here are other cases of exploding sunroofs that happened:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=518312
http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1291fc
http://www.wral.com/without-warning-...ces-/11728208/

Lucky that no one was sitting in my passenger seat because the larger chunks of glass fell there, and God forbid the next time this could happen again, it may cause serious injury or a death.

I will now need to go to my Insurance Co. to cover the repair costs, so this is not a cost issue for me, but out of principle, as BMW should acknowledge this defect and issue a new redesign or recall, otherwise this will happen again. I plan to write to Transport Canada as well.

So when I get my repaired car back, I plan to keep my sunroof visor closed when highway driving so the glass will be fully covered from my view, knowing that the same type of sunroof glass will be installed again.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #74
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.
United_States

Drives: 2013 VW GTi

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:

BMW informed me today that since my car's warranty expired already (which was only 4 months ago), they are not responsible and will not cover the costs.
Bummer.
      11-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #75
LeifW
Captain

Drives: 1M AW

This is why I liked the old sunroofs (the metal ones) as opposed to the current moonroofs.

OP - Sorry to hear that BMW won't cover the cost to fix.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #76
GadgetGirl

A further update from my sunroof explosion is that I received a call from Transport Canada after I submitted a defect complaint form on their site, and they were very interested in this matter and will be investigating...stay tuned!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #77
LeifW
Captain

Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
A further update from my sunroof explosion is that I received a call from Transport Canada after I submitted a defect complaint form on their site, and they were very interested in this matter and will be investigating...stay tuned!
Good stuff. Send them lot's of links to the past posts on this issue.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0