BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > M-Flight

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-27-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Valentine V1 in Europe

I hate jumping on here because I always end up seeing stuff I want to buy...but just wondering on everyone's thoughts on this...do you guys think that having a Valentine (V1) would be resonable/practical here in Germany? Especially on those pain in the ass roads where it goes from unrestricted to 80 kmh for 50 meters then back to unrestricted?
      05-03-2011, 04:30 AM   #2
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Won't do you any good against the cameras, the are operated by a sensor in the road. Might help you out with the mobile speed traps though.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 07:33 AM   #3
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

they are illegal and above is true. useless against cameras which are utilized 95% of the time. just slow down in the restricted parts. usually its for good reason!
      05-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
Stormtroooper
The General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2011.5 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
they are illegal and above is true. useless against cameras which are utilized 95% of the time. just slow down in the restricted parts. usually its for good reason!
i agree with Jim. Just follow the speed limits on the autobahn when they are there. It normally IS for a good reason, then it will go back to unristricted.

2018 M3CS
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

V1s are useless here...

however, watch out for hidden cameras all over the place in the medien stripes and under over carrys on the highway. Also...just follow the speed limit on the roads and 30 in areas where old ppl and kids live lol.

Its Germany if you want to speed you can hit the track/autobahn...

dont die...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
E90M3CDFR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 Sportwagon

The 1500 euro fine for a RD used in many European countries (and confiscation of V1 plus possibly the car) make this a risky idea.

In France, there is a device (now also an app for iPhone and Blackberry) called Coyote that is really ingenious. Combines GPS plus GSM/GPRS data to instantly log all radar/laser encounters - as soon as a driver spots police and presses a button (one for oncoming lane traffic, one for traffic in your direction), the location is burst to all other units. In France there are several hundred thousand users. The unit also displays how many "scouts" are ahead on your particular road, how close the one ahead of you is, and their "reliability". It is a brilliant system and it also warns of traffic and accident prone areas.

Now to up their game, there are new camera/radar units being deployed in France that operate over a stretch of road and read your license plates and average your speed. On one stretch of the A6 there is a test-bed working and it will flash your license plate on a huge electronic board along with "too fast". That's the test - when it gets operational, you will probably come home to a second reminder with a fine.

I think the GPS units are good to have because they can be set to sound an alert at 1km/h above the speed for the particular camera that you are about to pass - that way you can, without having to take your eyes off the road, go at the exact legal speed.
      05-10-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Thanks all...not that I want to drive recklessly, but really wanted to see what other thought...all great info!
      04-15-2012, 08:31 AM   #8
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Speed Averaging

Italy has the speed averaging system (called Safety Tutor). The cameras are well indicted and are located in overhead signs. The challenge for drivers is that while the speed is usually 130, when it is raining it drops to 110. THe police then decide which to apply. From a driver's perspective you do not know what the police have decided. Clearly if it is sunny or raining, you can decide. But when it is raining for part of the segment (they can be 30 or more km long) you really do not know.

Mostly it seems that it is just a higher toll on the highway!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
REALESTBM
Never Riding Dirty
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3CP/ESS SC

I have a unit that is GPS Based Called a Snooper it works great for fixed camerasm I did not used it often enough to see how it does in the laser and other bands. They are nice to have for time that you forget the speed limit....epecially if it monitors what the speed limit is.

My problem is that the speed zones sometimes change so often that I forget what it is or if I am in one!! I have a iPHONE APP called navmii/Germany. It is so good that there is no need to turn on the other unit when I am local.
Appreciate 0