BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #1
ArightDoom
Private
 
Drives: '11 128i LeMans Blue/M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

128i feels sluggish at 2200mi, oil change?

I did some quick searching but I haven't found anything recent on this:

I'm just over 2200 miles on my 128 and it's been sluggish at low RPMs for a couple hundred miles now. I described it as "unhappy feeling." Do you guys think an oil change is the solution? I called BMW and played stupid to see if I could get a break-in oil change, but that (obviously) didn't work. It'll cost me $150.

Going to an indie mechanic is fine for this kind of thing as long as they use the right filters and don't reset the computer, right?
ArightDoom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
 
Tom K.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,377
iTrader: (0)

Should have nothing to do with an early oil change (which is a waste of $$, imho).

Since either your engine or transmission (Steptronic?) may have an issue, have you taken it in to your dealer?

Also, since you are beyond the break-in period, perhaps an "Italian Tune-Up" wouldn't hurt - on a deserted stretch of highway, redline it in both 1st and 2nd gear once or twice and see if the problem clears up.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 567
iTrader: (0)

you have a car almost like mine.

when you say sluggish at low speed, what are we talking about, under 1500rpm? The car has a fairly relxed differential, and doesnt spool up all that fast, to save fuel. I would suggest not shifting till 3000rpm, or shift manually if you have an automatic. Also, consider doing the golf tee mod to your exhaust. It keeps open the extra flap at all speeds, giving a nice growl and improving throttle response a tiny bit. All for essentially free.

Lastly, what kind if fuel are you using, and what sort of driving? I would suggest use only top tier gasoline at the highest octane, so like Shell v Power 93, and do an hour or so long run on a nice, high speed road to get things shaken out a little.
MikeinAlexandria is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DriveHard's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island

Posts: 1,969
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArightDoom View Post
I did some quick searching but I haven't found anything recent on this:

I'm just over 2200 miles on my 128 and it's been sluggish at low RPMs for a couple hundred miles now. I described it as "unhappy feeling." Do you guys think an oil change is the solution? I called BMW and played stupid to see if I could get a break-in oil change, but that (obviously) didn't work. It'll cost me $150.

Going to an indie mechanic is fine for this kind of thing as long as they use the right filters and don't reset the computer, right?
Is it a step ( AT) ???? ( an oil change will not fix this, in fact there are very few things an oil change will fix )

if so, i suspect you have been babying it till the "break in" passed.. so i think the trans adapted to "very conservative mode"

what you need to do is put the key in, press the start button, but do not start car, then hold down the accelerator all the way to the floor for about 2 minutes. then start car.. trans will readapt and then drive it like you stole it..

there is a small following that will agree to change the oil at this mileage. I dont, but i will do it after a season of tracking + about 5 to 8 auto x's

an indi mechanich better be able to change oil, or else he is not a mechanic. ( tecnician ) and yes, use OEM filters.

welcome !!! BTW..
__________________
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #5
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,607
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Is it a step ( AT) ???? ( an oil change will not fix this, in fact there are very few things an oil change will fix )

if so, i suspect you have been babying it till the "break in" passed.. so i think the trans adapted to "very conservative mode"

what you need to do is put the key in, press the start button, but do not start car, then hold down the accelerator all the way to the floor for about 2 minutes. then start car.. trans will readapt and then drive it like you stole it..

there is a small following that will agree to change the oil at this mileage. I dont, but i will do it after a season of tracking + about 5 to 8 auto x's

an indi mechanich better be able to change oil, or else he is not a mechanic. ( tecnician ) and yes, use OEM filters.

welcome !!! BTW..
this!! It has happened to me before
__________________
2014 C7 Corvette Stringray - Laguna Blue - NPP Exhaust - Competition Seats
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2011, 07:00 AM   #6
ArightDoom
Private
 
Drives: '11 128i LeMans Blue/M Sport
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 54
iTrader: (0)

It's a 6MT... Sorry, should have said that. I usually shift around 2k for residential driving (which is most of my commute, sadly). I use 93 octane so that's not it.

I'm thinking the Italian tune up is the way to go... It's a really nice day.
ArightDoom is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Tom K.
Major General
 
Tom K.'s Avatar
 
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland

Posts: 5,377
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArightDoom View Post
It's a 6MT... Sorry, should have said that. I usually shift around 2k for residential driving (which is most of my commute, sadly). I use 93 octane so that's not it.

I'm thinking the Italian tune up is the way to go... It's a really nice day.
My MT 128i is also sluggish below 2,000 rpm - it needs more revs to come alive. I usually upshift around the torque peak of 2,750, downshift between 2,000 and 1,500 (depending on conditions), and find that to provide a nice combination of brisk acceleration with good fuel economy.

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST