BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-08-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
RPM90
Major General
 
Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

Posts: 6,095
iTrader: (1)

Cobb tuning price

I understand that BMW's cost more than many other tuneable cars, but why is the 135i/335i/535i Cobb Accessport $300 more than it is for the
Legacy GT, EVO, STI, etc...?

It's only $100 less than the one for the GTR.

It seems like a cool product, but it does for the BMW the same as it does for the Legacy, EVO, STI.
Why $300 more for the N54?
$900 is pretty steep.
I don't need datalogging, but I do prefer having a flash compared to piggyback.
It surely can't be that much more complicated compared to the other cars.

Don't mean to be mean about this, but I am curious.
I had an APR tune on my A4. It didn't have data logging and such, but it didn't require a handheld unit either, which I really like.
I just used the A4's stalk controls to change programs and to turn it on or off.
It still costs $300 less even for the new Audi's.

Last edited by RPM90; 05-08-2011 at 01:37 AM.
RPM90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 03:42 AM   #2
Lefthandblack
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fort Wayne, IN

Posts: 40
iTrader: (0)

I believe it is due to the development time necessary to make sure that it is integrated properly with the BMW ECU, which is probably a tough cookie compared to other ECU's. Maybe I'm wrong? Either way, it is definitely worth it. Cobb Rocks! This is the third vehicle I have had an accessport on, and they are awesome!
Lefthandblack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
roo97ss
Captain
 
Drives: 135i, x6, C6 vette
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delaware

Posts: 658
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefthandblack View Post
I believe it is due to the development time necessary to make sure that it is integrated properly with the BMW ECU, which is probably a tough cookie compared to other ECU's. Maybe I'm wrong? Either way, it is definitely worth it. Cobb Rocks! This is the third vehicle I have had an accessport on, and they are awesome!


Agreed. You've got a 40 k car with 50 hp left on the table for 500-900 bucks. Having had a jb3 its great but a pita to install. Want the cheaper one install it in the ecu want the ease of cobb spend a few bucks. Has anything for the BMW ever been cheap? Its supply and demand were willing to pay for it so whynot charge for it
__________________
08 135 vert, 10 x6 5.0 sport, 10 750I xdrive, 12 ram hemi quad cab
roo97ss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
 
audimotion's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MN

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Good question...I've been thinking about buying one as well, but the 850.00 or so is a bit steep. I got the money, just cannot get myself to buy it for that much. I'm sure its great and the plug n play concept is top notch, but 850-900 is pricey. MAybe a group buy for 750.00???
__________________
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
audimotion is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
brow0814
Private
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Paul, MN

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135I  [0.00]
2003 YAMAHA FZ1  [0.00]
shop around, got mine for 825 shipped next day air.
__________________
135i Coupe
996TT
CR-V (no turbo,no fun)
brow0814 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
llowlife
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09' 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mn

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

xxx.00 delivered friday

Last edited by llowlife; 05-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.
llowlife is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
Kamal
Indian Stig
 
Kamal's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796
Join Date: May 2008
Location: StL/CoMO

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [3.78]
2011 BMW 328i  [4.00]
Send a message via AIM to Kamal Send a message via Skype™ to Kamal
It's worth it. Sal@Autocouture should be able to get you a great price!
__________________

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Kamal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Posts: 1,691
iTrader: (2)

They don't make it anymore for the Evo 8 and 9's though. Reason being it was overpriced and there are way better alternatives for tuning for free. Yes...FREE! Cobb does make exceptional products, but like many others that sell products, overpriced for what you get and the BMW tax that comes with it.
RnmEvo9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #9
Kamal
Indian Stig
 
Kamal's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796
Join Date: May 2008
Location: StL/CoMO

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [3.78]
2011 BMW 328i  [4.00]
Send a message via AIM to Kamal Send a message via Skype™ to Kamal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
They don't make it anymore for the Evo 8 and 9's though. Reason being it was overpriced and there are way better alternatives for tuning for free. Yes...FREE! Cobb does make exceptional products, but like many others that sell products, overpriced for what you get and the BMW tax that comes with it.
Although this may be true, when compared to the other FLASH tunes, I think the AccessPort is hard to beat. The premium over the JB tunes is worth it for me because I don't need to mess with the ECU, run a USB cable through the firewall, buy a separate code reader/clearer, and keep my laptop in the car to data log. I don't think any of the Flash tunes have the versatility, options, ability to upgrade, etc. that the Cobb AP does.
__________________

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Kamal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
audimotion
Second Lieutenant
 
audimotion's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i/12 F250 CC PS/06 ML500
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: MN

Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

llowlife- where you get a deal like that???
__________________
08 135i |Alpine White w/ Terra Boston Leather|Sport Pkg| Premium Pkg| Shadowline| Gloss Black Trim| Nav| Comfort Access| Active Steering| Steptronic| Htd Seats| Prem. Sound/Sirius| Park Distance| PPK 1|BMS 4LED|M3 Sway Bar
audimotion is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #11
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
 
OneThreeFive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NoVA

Posts: 579
iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by audimotion View Post
llowlife- where you get a deal like that???
You will be surprised what deals you can get from the vendors. Send some PMs out.

I would start with Alan************ and Jeff@Topgearsolutions
OneThreeFive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 03:59 AM   #12
Basheezy
Bashar
 
Basheezy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 766
iTrader: (2)

I just saw it on ebay also for 849.00 with free shipping too
Basheezy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
f1rst 1
Lieutenant
 
f1rst 1's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 Cayman S
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Denver

Posts: 456
iTrader: (1)

+1 on Top Gear Solutions!
Email sales@topgearsolutions.com
You'll be SUPER happy you did. Let's just say one of the lowest prices I've seen is what I paid, and OH MY GOODNESS is it worth it.
f1rst 1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
Frampton
i miss boost
 
Frampton's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 391
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 135i  [5.00]
worth every penny imho, have you installed a piggyback yet? And it is higher priced due to development costs. We have one of the most complicated ecu's out there today.
__________________
2008 135i
Frampton is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas

Posts: 565
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Its expensive because

1. There is only 1 similarly featured competitor for Cobb, and it starts at $1000.

2. The ECU took them a very long time to "crack." Even longer than the "unbreakable" Nissan GTR ECU.

3. You own a BMW. You're rich, you can afford it.
mosx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #16
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DriveHard's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post

3. You own a BMW. You're rich, you can afford it.
I am ...WOOOOO HOOOOO Some one Please inform my accountant !!!
__________________
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is offline   Colombia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Its 900 because that's what cobb wants to charge us because we drive bmws. I don't buy the whole "ecu is sooo impossible to crack" line. It may be more involved, but its just computer coding. Its not like someone at cobb had to wrestle an alligator to get the code. Its one hell of a product, but its the same thing $300 cheaper for a dsm or subie. I doubt you'll ever see someone from cobb actually comment on a topic about pricing and give an explanation that's not a marketing line
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #18
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas

Posts: 565
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Its 900 because that's what cobb wants to charge us because we drive bmws. I don't buy the whole "ecu is sooo impossible to crack" line. It may be more involved, but its just computer coding. Its not like someone at cobb had to wrestle an alligator to get the code. Its one hell of a product, but its the same thing $300 cheaper for a dsm or subie. I doubt you'll ever see someone from cobb actually comment on a topic about pricing and give an explanation that's not a marketing line

Cobb already commented on it and it came down to the number of hours they had to put into cracking the BMW ECU divided by the number of potential customers. Non-computer-people tend to think because it's "just coding" (are you a CEO by chance?) it's simple. Just hook it up to your computers USB port, push some keys and, it's done, right? Reverse engineering is a long, tedious, and mind numbing process even if there is no ECU encryption. A Subaru or a Mitsubishi is not a BMW. There are far more Subie's and Evo's on the road in the US than 335/135s. Subie's and EVOs typically change very little between model years, and I would guess that more Subie and EVO owners are willing to risk voiding their warranty on their $25-35k car than BMW owners are on their $40-60k car.
mosx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #19
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

No I'm not a ceo(whatever that has to do with anything,) and I'm well aware there's more to it than pushing a few buttons. But a company like cobb, that has years of experience, should have some general idea of where to begin when it comes to reverse engineering an ecu. Its not like its the first time they've done an ecu. And let me ask you, have you ever reverse engineered an ecu? How do you that a bmw's software is sooo far beyond that of any other manufacturer? Id say that most manufacturers now are relatively close in their ecu.let me be clear, not exactly the same, but close. They all use the same sensors and input data and use it in a similar way, correct? Thes not a reason for a 30% premium, maybe $50 or so. I'm not knocking the product, just the bmw tax they're imposing
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #20
RnmEvo9
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Pembroke Pines, FL

Posts: 1,691
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosx View Post
Cobb already commented on it and it came down to the number of hours they had to put into cracking the BMW ECU divided by the number of potential customers. Non-computer-people tend to think because it's "just coding" (are you a CEO by chance?) it's simple. Just hook it up to your computers USB port, push some keys and, it's done, right? Reverse engineering is a long, tedious, and mind numbing process even if there is no ECU encryption. A Subaru or a Mitsubishi is not a BMW. There are far more Subie's and Evo's on the road in the US than 335/135s. Subie's and EVOs typically change very little between model years, and I would guess that more Subie and EVO owners are willing to risk voiding their warranty on their $25-35k car than BMW owners are on their $40-60k car.

I would like to know where you live because I know for a fact that I see far more 335i's on the road than Evo's or STi's. You might have a case regarding 135i's, but there is no question that everybody and their grandmom has a 335i.

Regarding warranties, I've already read several members that have Evo X's having their warranties revoked thanks to the Cobb Accessport despite being unmarried and not in the car. If you want a link, just tell me and see that the Cobb Accessport is detectable on other platforms (not sure on BMW's). Mitsubishi is more anal regarding warranties though compared to BMW. I know that when I had my Evo9, as soon as I drove off the lot and sneezed in it, I voided my warranty.
RnmEvo9 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #21
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,082
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
If you guys need any help with the Cobb I'm a PM away. Retail pricing is not fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThreeFive View Post
You will be surprised what deals you can get from the vendors. Send some PMs out.

I would start with Alan************ and Jeff@Topgearsolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1rst 1 View Post
+1 on Top Gear Solutions!
Email sales@topgearsolutions.com
You'll be SUPER happy you did. Let's just say one of the lowest prices I've seen is what I paid, and OH MY GOODNESS is it worth it.
Thanks guys. I mean it when I say we have the lowest price guaranteed.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 05-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #22
Kamal
Indian Stig
 
Kamal's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796
Join Date: May 2008
Location: StL/CoMO

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [3.78]
2011 BMW 328i  [4.00]
Send a message via AIM to Kamal Send a message via Skype™ to Kamal
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnmEvo9 View Post
I would like to know where you live because I know for a fact that I see far more 335i's on the road than Evo's or STi's. You might have a case regarding 135i's, but there is no question that everybody and their grandmom has a 335i.
I hardly ever see 135i's... and like you said, everybody and their grandmom has a 335i... unforunately, that alone doesn't define the market. Most people who purchased a 335i probably got it because it was the top of the line 3 series car, not because of performance/modability/etc. Whereas with the Evo's and STIs... grandma is definitely not driving those sorts of cars. You can safely say 99% of the people who buy those cars are buying it for its performance capabilities.
__________________

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Kamal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST