BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #1
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: CSL M3 / 1M AW

Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
Exclamation All 1M owners NEED TO SEE - Possible Issue with our cars

Hello Gang,

I got around to installing the parts I got for my 1M and found something that I find rather disturbing. My 1M is my DD and an occasional back roads “spirited” car. I have not tracked the car so in the general scheme of things it is driven as a normal car.

I installed the following:
  • AFE Stage II Intake
  • Burger Tunning Oil Catch Can
  • Active Autowekrs Sport intercooler
  • ER charge pipe

This leads me to why I used my tile. The images below are of the stock charger pipe and as you can see there is a LOT of oil in it. There was oil throughout the entire intake system from the intercooler to the throttle body.

As mentioned above I am DDing the car and not beating on it that hard and I have that much oil in the system.

Bottom line is get am oil catch can of some sort as the stock whatever it is SUCKS. Also if this is a issue for all of us, we need to all get on BMW to address the issue or clean our intake manifolds as that is not acceptable. Car currently has 19000 miles on her.

Now I just need to figure out how bad the funk is in the intake and manifold.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion

Last edited by m3dragon; 03-02-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 1M

Agree... this is what I emptied out of my OCC yesterday after 2,500km!

Also, when i installed an intercooler, the OEM FMIC had a fair amount of oil in it (pre OCC install)
Attached Images

03-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Drives: Einser Rex

This looks pretty bad.

I'm going to ask them to take a look when I take it in the next time. I'll also take it to an independent shop before that.

Thanks for the info.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
providence
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2014 X3 Msprt, 2014 X5, 1M

WTF...
You guys are making me nervous...
Keep us updated on whatever you find.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

From the research I have done it seems all of the N54's have this issue. 1M or 135i it does not matter.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon
From the research I have done it seems all of the N54's have this issue. 1M or 135i it does not matter.
+1

This has been reported for years.
      03-02-2013, 09:50 PM   #7
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence View Post
WTF...
You guys are making me nervous...
Keep us updated on whatever you find.
Get a oil catch can, end of story. Until we fight BMW and say WTF that is the only solution.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #8
gregthegr8
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 2013 Mineral Grey 135is

Is this also an issue on the N55's? Anybody know?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
This is not a 1M or N54 related issue. All modern direct injection engines are subject to same problem in different degrees. Oil catch cans for sure should help (they catch some oil after all) but I heard that it is impossible to completely prevent the problem and eventually valve cleaning is necessary.

Lots of detailed read in internet and in these forums are available.

My take is it all comes down to how long you plan to keep your car if you bought it new. In my case, I will try to keep 1M as long as possible so I better buy and install an OCC for a starter, maybe I can't prevent it all together but at least I can delay and ease this.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
1911A145
Captain
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Get a oil catch can, end of story. Until we fight BMW and say WTF that is the only solution.
Fight BMW? lmao...

This is a normal operating "by product" of this, and many more, engines.

The fact that the car is turbo charged makes it consume much more oil and the fact it has direct injection makes it gather more carbon buildup on the valves and requires more frequent cleaning.

I have yet to find a turbo charged car that does not have a small amount of oil in the intercooler, or in the intake tracks. All modern cars return this oil for emissions and you can fight the lawmakers who decided to make manufactures design it this way.

As it may be though, many DI cars are now coming with secondary, standard fuel injectors for service on top of the DI injectors. This way it isnt such an issue with carbon buildup. BMW should have designed or built into the intake system secondary injectors for this reason.

Oh well... every 50k miles clean the valves and intake pipes and you should be GTG.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 02:12 AM   #11
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, get an OCC from BMS
      03-03-2013, 02:20 AM   #12
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Yes, get an OCC from BMS
+1. A economic and must mod.
      03-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #13
speedyjoe
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Drives: E46M3/1M

Thats bothering me a lots.
Wheres the oil coming from?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 03:22 AM   #14
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: VO 1M, E92 335x, E61 530x

As noted by others above, this problem is largely unavoidable in direct injection turbo charged engines which recirculate oil vapors into the air intake. I suppose an OCC will reduce oil vapors entering the intake manifold, but I doubt the problem will be eliminated short of redirecting the crankcase vapors.

I started a thread about this issue as it relates to cleaning the intake valves on the N54. I cleaned the valves on my 335xi last fall, and expect to do the same on my 1M sometime in the next couple years. The process is tedious but straightforward. For those interested you can find many more details here:

Cleaning Intake Valves on the N54
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:33 AM   #15
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep

Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW

All my turbo cars had that I would say it is normal. It comes from oil breather.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
kskpsu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: Anything German

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [5.00]
'13 BMW X5M  [0.00]
'14 Audi S6  [0.00]
'05 MB CLK55 AMG Cab  [0.00]
My RS4 was the start of my exposure to this as direct injection proliferates...the Audi is still the champ of the carbon debacle. I believe a manufacturer or two has supplemented with small, secondary injection upstream to let the detergents in gas do their thing...
      03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #17
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Drives: AW 1M

Yep, get a occ and clean out your intercooler periodically.

Really nothing worrisome in the least.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo

This is a pretty classic N54 thing. The intercooler and chargepipe get a lot of blowby, its why OCCs were invented, but they have varying degrees of success.

Its also where your half a quart every OCI goes.
      03-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #19
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I understand how a turbo works and there could be oil but at the same time that is not acceptable. The amount I had for a DD was surprising to me I admit. On the same note the average buyer who is not a gear head is constantly damaging their car (IE Fouling the intake).

This is a issue that should have been addressed from the factory not by a after market OCC. Only reason I see they did this besides the obvious cost cutting is to make customer pay for a cleaning service which would be big $$$$$$$.

So to 1911A145 I do say we should do something as that is not acceptable. Same thing with my M3 and the rodbarings.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #20
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
I understand how a turbo works and there could be oil but at the same time that is not acceptable. The amount I had for a DD was surprising to me I admit. On the same note the average buyer who is not a gear head is constantly damaging their car (IE Fouling the intake).

This is a issue that should have been addressed from the factory not by a after market OCC. Only reason I see they did this besides the obvious cost cutting is to make customer pay for a cleaning service which would be big $$$$$$$.

So to 1911A145 I do say we should do something as that is not acceptable. Same thing with my M3 and the rodbarings.
The oil does not damage the car. The benefits of direct injection far outweigh the detriments. Yes, periodic cleaning of the intercooler and walnut blasting of the valves should be added to the maintenance schedule to preserve optimal performance. Really no biggie!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #21
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo

Quote:

BMW doesnt think of everything, especially with a first generation engine (like the N54)

Dont forget 335s didnt originally come with an engine oil cooler.
      03-03-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
Artemis
Brigadier General
Belgium
Rep

Drives: 1M (VO)

Added also this issue to the 1M issues log sticky:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=1