BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #1
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

window gremlin

The driver side window on my 1M is acting up. Sometimes it will go down by itself when I get in and shut the door. Sometimes it will stay all the way up when I open the door (instead of dropping down a smidge and then closing the gap after the door is shut). Other times it will not go up all the way when I activate the switch and makes me keep pulling up on the switch to get it all the way up.

Any advice? If not, I'll settler for pity?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 02:50 PM   #2
dandandan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i N55 DCT

The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.
Appreciate 1
ayao283.00

01-09-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandan View Post
The window motors are notorious for failure. Magnetic contacts inside the motor wear down and cause all sorts of crazy problems. Mine would bounce back open half way when hitting the one touch auto up. Had the problem for almost two years then had BMW replace the window motor and that fixed the problem.

mine bounces on occasion with the one touch feature... Same situation.. auto up it will stop and roll back down after getting halfway up.

I wasn't sure if It was operator error or a switch error. it definitely doesnt happen every time...
Appreciate 0