BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-30-2011, 10:30 PM   #89
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
529
Rep
11,948
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Very interesting

Curious, are you selling your modification to the market?

Could you take some in car sound samples with both systems?

Question about your mid pipe system: essentially the system removes the two cats and replaces them with straight pipes?
Yes, it is available now.

See post# 70 for photos of the mid-pipe.

There is too much cabin noise at speed for anyone to hear the difference between the two pipes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ray101381 View Post
and CEL's with your mid pipe system? is a tune required? any performance gains that are noticeable? is it a straight forward bolt on with no modifications?
No, no CEL at all since the mid-pipe is behind the secondary O2's. And not tuning is required.

There may be a little gain in HP and TQ from removing the two secondary cats, but we have not verified it yet. The aftermarket system is lighter than the oem unit if that matters. No other modification is needes, just a straight replacement.

Last edited by HP Autosport; 05-30-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:40 AM   #90
johnsfb
Private
Scotland
5
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I see discoboy1 has now started a poll regarding this problem.
The latest word from my dealer is that there is no directive from BMW on this issue.

Mine was better for a while but it's now about as bad as ever so I have made an appointment with an exhaust specialist for the 14th June to see if he can fix this drone.

I will post result.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 04:47 AM   #91
VO1M
Private
2
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsfb View Post
I see discoboy1 has now started a poll regarding this problem.
The latest word from my dealer is that there is no directive from BMW on this issue.

Mine was better for a while but it's now about as bad as ever so I have made an appointment with an exhaust specialist for the 14th June to see if he can fix this drone.

I will post result.
So the exhaust swop didn't really make a difference then.

I think it's just a natural resonance characteristic of the standard exhaust system similar to what the original MkIV Golf R32 suffered. The only cure for that particular issue was a Milltek replacement system!

It would be nice to know if the HP mid pipes really do cure the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #92
1erMCoupe
Private
1erMCoupe's Avatar
Switzerland
4
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Hi,

just wanted to bring that thread back into discussion. Any news on this? I am thinking if the plastic bin in which the battery is mounted is amplifying the drone. I mean the exhaust is directly mounted aside this bin. Its maybe worth trying to put some antdrone matat around the battery.
__________________
1er M Coupe delivered // AW, wheels gungray, Performance Seats, KW V3+, Eisenmann exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #93
rapter
First Lieutenant
15
Rep
360
Posts

Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erMCoupe View Post
Hi,

just wanted to bring that thread back into discussion. Any news on this? I am thinking if the plastic bin in which the battery is mounted is amplifying the drone. I mean the exhaust is directly mounted aside this bin. Its maybe worth trying to put some antdrone matat around the battery.
To clarify, your thoughts are that the empty cavities in the truck are amplifying the resonance of the exhaust in the vehicle?

Maybe... It is a good idea and worth investigating. I will try some things out and get back to you
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 12:33 AM   #94
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
529
Rep
11,948
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Berk Mid Pipe

With near 5000 miles on the Berk Mid Pipe we decided to put the OEM mid pipe back on to see if the drone is indeed there and our conclusion is that the OEM mid pipe drones more than Berk and spread over a wider rpm range.

The Berk Mid Pipe is not going back on the car anytime soon...Stay tuned for the next exhaust mod!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:25 AM   #95
1erMCoupe
Private
1erMCoupe's Avatar
Switzerland
4
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

@rapter: Yes

I was testing with a OEM midpipe and the one from Eisenmann. I dont think that the midpipe is the problem. After that i tested the midpipe from Eisenmann and the eisenmann exhaust and ster that a test exhaust. And the drone was back and even increased. While cleaning up the trunk i thought this damn plaistic bin where the battery is placed looks like a big resonance body. I have ordered now a noise protection mat for testing.
__________________
1er M Coupe delivered // AW, wheels gungray, Performance Seats, KW V3+, Eisenmann exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #96
scaramanga
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
2
Rep
274
Posts

Drives: The one and only 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: London / Surrey

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1erMCoupe View Post
@rapter: Yes

I was testing with a OEM midpipe and the one from Eisenmann. I dont think that the midpipe is the problem. After that i tested the midpipe from Eisenmann and the eisenmann exhaust and ster that a test exhaust. And the drone was back and even increased. While cleaning up the trunk i thought this damn plaistic bin where the battery is placed looks like a big resonance body. I have ordered now a noise protection mat for testing.
Will be interesting to see if this reduces/cures the drone...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #97
oldBMWguy
Private
2
Rep
82
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW 1M [Finally !]
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia Beach Va. USA

iTrader: (0)

I just picked up my 1M from the PC in South Carolina on Tues.-- have 700 miles on the car, and have the drone from 2200 rpm to about 2600 rpm under light load. If you let off the gas the drone almost stops. --- so I guess the newer production cars still have the same problem [if we can get BMW to acknowledge that it IS a problem!]
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #98
Robcut1
Private First Class
4
Rep
147
Posts

Drives: 2011 1 series M
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Jupiter, Fl

iTrader: (1)

If I am not concerned about HP gain, what would be my best and simplest option for the quietest ride possible without ripping out the interior and adding weight significant with Dynomat, etc.?
I don't much care about pops, burbles, growls, and definitely hate drones, and resonances!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #99
RussDC
Private First Class
1
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

My does the same thing! Over 2000 miles so far. Keep us posted if and when you fix the problem
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 10:17 PM   #100
1M Fan
SMSgt
4
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
I installed about 1.6 sq/ft of Second Skin Damplifier and had some success. My testing was limited this evening and it wasn't gone completely, but it did resonate less frequently. I'll should know more tomorrow. I don't think it is just the battery box. The batter box may amplify the sound, but I suspect the source is sheet metal based. I did put a piece in front of the battery box too. That actually made a noticeable difference in my knock, knock test as in the hole panel went from a metallic ring to a thud.

Damplifier is a butyle based mass loader similar to Dynamat Extreme, but a little thinner.

there are a couple of other areas I may put some on. the factory has some dampening on the trunk floor panels at the very back, but the one on the left, still has a metallic ring to it when I knock on it. I may put some on the heat shield against the muffler too. The damplifier is rated to 500 degrees F and it can be used on the exposed under carriage.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #101
sparoz
Brigadier General
sparoz's Avatar
Australia
75
Rep
4,862
Posts

Drives: VO 1///M; AW X3 30d
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunshine Coast

iTrader: (0)

Interesting, keep us posted. . I might just try to strap a pillow to it and see if it makes a difference .
__________________
1///M - Valencia Orange
X3 30d - Alpine White

Under Six Seconds http://www.under6s.com
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 02:31 AM   #102
1erMCoupe
Private
1erMCoupe's Avatar
Switzerland
4
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: BMW 1 M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

I filled the bin with all i found ... foam, cloths and i had also some success. Its much better now. I think with a good noise protection mat it will improve.

@1M Fan: I think your right...its not only the battery bin...the whole trunk is amplifiying. I will also put some anti drone mat arround the battery bin.
__________________
1er M Coupe delivered // AW, wheels gungray, Performance Seats, KW V3+, Eisenmann exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 04:15 AM   #103
Jante82
New Member
Jante82's Avatar
Sweden
1
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Stockholm

iTrader: (0)

How hard can it be to create an exhaust that is drone free? Just build it so that the resonance frequency is moved to a rpm that is above 4000 rpm. If you have some drone at WOT@4500 rpm, who cares? But at motorway speed and rpm between 2000-2800 it is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #104
///1M
Captain
9
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: between Indiana and the alley

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jante82 View Post
How hard can it be to create an exhaust that is drone free? Just build it so that the resonance frequency is moved to a rpm that is above 4000 rpm. If you have some drone at WOT@4500 rpm, who cares? But at motorway speed and rpm between 2000-2800 it is very annoying.
Yes, yes, yes! I'm staying tuned!
Hoping for a resolution.
The drone is so unfortunate.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #105
1M Fan
SMSgt
4
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Let me define two terms as I use them. Everyone may not agree, but at least you'll know what I'm trying to fix.

Exhaust resonation is when the frequencies the exhaust system creates causes other parts of the care to vibrate. This is what I'm working on. Adding small amounts of a "mass loader" in the right spots will cure this. In the 1M the resonation comes and goes between 2000 and 2500 RPM.

Drone is the eritating tone an exhaust system creates in specific RPM or load range. there isn't much you can do to fix it but change the exhaust.

What I've done so far seems to have made the resonation better. It seams to be mostly in the 2100 - 2350 RPM (65 - 70 MPH) range which I don't use much. I'm going to add another 1 - 1.5 sq/ft in a few places tonight and see what happens.

As mass loaders go, the Second Skin products are very good. A thin piece of material will do a lot to control sheet metal vibration.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #106
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
529
Rep
11,948
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
Let me define two terms as I use them. Everyone may not agree, but at least you'll know what I'm trying to fix.

Exhaust resonation is when the frequencies the exhaust system creates causes other parts of the care to vibrate. This is what I'm working on. Adding small amounts of a "mass loader" in the right spots will cure this. In the 1M the resonation comes and goes between 2000 and 2500 RPM.

Drone is the eritating tone an exhaust system creates in specific RPM or load range. there isn't much you can do to fix it but change the exhaust.

What I've done so far seems to have made the resonation better. It seams to be mostly in the 2100 - 2350 RPM (65 - 70 MPH) range which I don't use much. I'm going to add another 1 - 1.5 sq/ft in a few places tonight and see what happens.

As mass loaders go, the Second Skin products are very good. A thin piece of material will do a lot to control sheet metal vibration.
Something else you can try if the drone really bothers you is to clamp weight at various sections of the exhaust until the drone is gone. It's an old trick to reduce exhaust resonance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:32 AM   #107
mikewills
Captain
12
Rep
781
Posts

Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Newport News, VA.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 Duc 848  [0.00]
What about a rubberized undercoating spray on the underside of the trunk...above the muffler area.
__________________
BMWCCA #454364
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #108
1M Fan
SMSgt
4
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
That is an option. It is very hard to remove if it is ever needed. The factory has it in some locations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewills View Post
What about a rubberized undercoating spray on the underside of the trunk...above the muffler area.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #109
1M Fan
SMSgt
4
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA, TN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Good to know! I never thought about that. The note/tone of the exhaust is fine to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post

Something else you can try if the drone really bothers you is to clamp weight at various sections of the exhaust until the drone is gone. It's an old trick to reduce exhaust resonance.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #110
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
529
Rep
11,948
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
Good to know! I never thought about that. The note/tone of the exhaust is fine to me.
The weights, added in the right locations will just reduce or change the resonance. It's more like a changing harmonics.

OEM manufactures do that all the time, even BMW.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST