BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #265
naradam
New Member
 
Drives: 1 series M Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FFM

Posts: 10
iTrader: (0)

These are my winter tires: Dunlop Winter Sport 3D with 245/35 and 275/30

Greetings from Germany
naradam
Attached Images
 
naradam is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 11:23 AM   #266
theshiningnova
Private First Class
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by violinfather View Post
Wow in Canada those tires are $500 each. For $2000 I can buy wheels (rims) and tires. I think I will have to go with not quite the exact size.
set of 4 tires go for about 1500 on tire rack. Beats getting a set of tires plus cheap rims imo.
theshiningnova is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #267
theshiningnova
Private First Class
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MA

Posts: 105
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
theshiningnova: The setup I go for is very close to the original size and will fit the original wheels very well. You don't need to have exactly the same size as the summer rubber. You can see on Japis pictures that its a really good fit.

The Pirellis are very expensive and not good in snow. (if you have snow) Michelin also have a non spiked central european type winter tire like the Pirelli. Cheaper.
Oh yeah I'm a bit of a noob on tire/wheel fitting, didn't want to go for anything not factory recommended. I might have gone for winter tires on original wheels option if I had started researching earlier rather than with the 270M set now. But then again, considering the pot holes we have around here, I guess it's probably safer to go with the slightly higher profile tires from the 270M package. The narrower tires should help with traction on snow as well.
theshiningnova is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #268
hybris4u
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 602
iTrader: (0)

I think that BMW have not put any effort into the winter tyre option. The 270M don't look good without spacers in the back. Well don't look that good in general. If I would have gone with a new set of wheel I would have gone for the M3 E9x wheels. They fit and no spacers needed. Usually some used ones on the web to buy. That was my plan B.
hybris4u is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 02:04 PM   #269
Japi
Private First Class
 
Japi's Avatar
 
Drives: 325da F30 and 116da F20
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: FINLAND

Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I think that BMW have not put any effort into the winter tyre option. The 270M don't look good without spacers in the back. Well don't look that good in general. If I would have gone with a new set of wheel I would have gone for the M3 E9x wheels. They fit and no spacers needed. Usually some used ones on the web to buy. That was my plan B.
U right!
Japi is offline   Finland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #270
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 325xi gone, bsm 1M Coupe:)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Kind Help Please

You guys have been so helpful in the past, but here is a hypothetical. What if it's under say 20 degrees F and the roads are dry. Should I try to pick it up from the dealer.... I'd be driving about 60 miles and I could drive slower by taking some lower speed roads, but it's still going to be 60 miles in sub freezing temperatures???!!

On the bright side..... my car is here, whether I can pick it up is going to depend on the weather I guess.
buckeyegirl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #271
hybris4u
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 602
iTrader: (0)

If its dry roads you should be ok as long as you drive carefully. thats like -7 degrees celsius. The rubber will get hard at that temperature. If its snow or ice I would not like to drive a car with 340 bhp and 265 summer rubber in the back in winter temperature... Also important that you are used to driving a manual. This is a manual with a lot of power. So be careful and don't take it out with summer tires if you are not absolutely sure. Plus weather can change quickly so check the forecast and roads. Sounds like a 1-2 hours drive depending on roads and speed. Im Swedish and skeptical. Be really careful and use your judgement. Would hate seeing another crashed 1M and even worse you got hurt!
hybris4u is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #272
HERR FSTIR
Captain
 
HERR FSTIR's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M, E92 335x, E61 530x
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frozen Tundra

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
What if it's under say 20 degrees F and the roads are dry. Should I try to pick it up from the dealer.... I'd be driving about 60 miles and I could drive slower by taking some lower speed roads, but it's still going to be 60 miles in sub freezing temperatures???!!
As long as there is no snow/ice/sleet on the road you won't have a problem. I leave my summer tires on the 335 well below freezing as long as the roads are dry, and it does fine. It's just like a hockey puck - doesn't slide well across dry asphalt, but slips easily on snow/ice.
HERR FSTIR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 07:16 AM   #273
MrRoboto
Colonel
 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 2,701
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
As long as there is no snow/ice/sleet on the road you won't have a problem. I leave my summer tires on the 335 well below freezing as long as the roads are dry, and it does fine. It's just like a hockey puck - doesn't slide well across dry asphalt, but slips easily on snow/ice.
Your summer tires are not effective at those temperatures. Winter tires are for more then just ice and snow.
MrRoboto is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 02:00 PM   #274
HERR FSTIR
Captain
 
HERR FSTIR's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M, E92 335x, E61 530x
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frozen Tundra

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Your summer tires are not effective at those temperatures. Winter tires are for more then just ice and snow.
This statement is too dogmatic. I live 150 miles south of the arctic circle and drive on various tire compounds under all types of conditions. Every September we routinely see temperatures of 10-35 deg F without any snow or other form of precipitation. I have yet to have any traction issues with summer tires under such conditions. Of course, the day it snows the summers become useless.

So as long as the roads are DRY, the weather forecast doesn't indicate precipitation, and she drives at a safe and reasonable speed, she should be okay driving the car home. On the other hand, if there is any chance of precipitation, then she will need winter rubber.
HERR FSTIR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #275
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E46 325xi gone, bsm 1M Coupe:)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Colorado

Posts: 218
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
This statement is too dogmatic. I live 150 miles south of the arctic circle and drive on various tire compounds under all types of conditions. Every September we routinely see temperatures of 10-35 deg F without any snow or other form of precipitation. I have yet to have any traction issues with summer tires under such conditions. Of course, the day it snows the summers become useless.

So as long as the roads are DRY, the weather forecast doesn't indicate precipitation, and she drives at a safe and reasonable speed, she should be okay driving the car home. On the other hand, if there is any chance of precipitation, then she will need winter rubber.
This is exactly what I was wondering! Side note, I think our cars were on the same boat.. Undine?

The weather here has become a bit of a problem and sadly my car will have to wait for the roads to dry and for my work schedule to allow it.
buckeyegirl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #276
HERR FSTIR
Captain
 
HERR FSTIR's Avatar
 
Drives: VO 1M, E92 335x, E61 530x
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Frozen Tundra

Posts: 675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyegirl View Post
I think our cars were on the same boat.. Undine?

The weather here has become a bit of a problem and sadly my car will have to wait for the roads to dry and for my work schedule to allow it.
Yes, we shared a ride together on Undine. Sorry to hear you've been delayed. If it is any consolation to you, my car has been sitting at the port of Tacoma for over 2 weeks waiting for a north bound boat. I keep telling myself patience is a virtue, but I get less virtuous each day...
HERR FSTIR is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #277
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
 
Oaktree's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 220
iTrader: (1)

Just got my winter setup. These are Miro 111 with Dunlop 3D sports. This will be my 3rd set of Dunlop's and it is a great winter performance tire.


Oaktree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 10:22 AM   #278
ESC OFF
Major
 
ESC OFF's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (AW) & CaymanS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

^^^ Nice, I've always had good luck with Dunlops....what size? When are you putting them on? I've been waiting to the last minute to install my winters and I think this weekend may be it.
__________________
The faster you go, the better it feels
ESC OFF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #279
hybris4u
Captain
 
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden

Posts: 602
iTrader: (0)

Im like 600 miles from the arctic circle. (Stockholm, Sweden) ;-) No snow yet! Will get my car in January and will put the Nokian Hakka 7 on them directly. Hope we get some snow. Kind of boring if not!
hybris4u is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 10:54 AM   #280
Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
 
Oaktree's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 220
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
^^^ Nice, I've always had good luck with Dunlops....what size? When are you putting them on? I've been waiting to the last minute to install my winters and I think this weekend may be it.
Don't have the car yet...but if I did they would be on already.
Rims 18x8.5 et 20
Tires: 245/40/18

Oaktree is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #281
ESC OFF
Major
 
ESC OFF's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (AW) & CaymanS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

I installed a square set-up...VMR 710's 18 x 9.5 et 22 (no spacers) in gunmetal with Blizzak LM-60's 245/40R 18. Sorry about the cell phone picture quality but this gives you an idea, better pictures when I have an actual camera with me.
Attached Images
  
__________________
The faster you go, the better it feels
ESC OFF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #282
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
I just put my snow tires on. Today is my first time driving the snow tires on a highway. I noticed that my steering wheel is shaking a little bit when pass 50 mph. My tires are second hand Dunlop 3D. What could cause the shaking of the steering wheel?

Thanks
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #283
ESC OFF
Major
 
ESC OFF's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M (AW) & CaymanS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,058
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toni8284 View Post
I just put my snow tires on. Today is my first time driving the snow tires on a highway. I noticed that my steering wheel is shaking a little bit when pass 50 mph. My tires are second hand Dunlop 3D. What could cause the shaking of the steering wheel?

Thanks
Could be any of the following related to tires/wheels assuming you had no shake prior to putting winters on:
  • Loose wheel bolt (always double check the bolt tightness after a 5 or 10 minute drive after changing wheels)
  • Tire bubble
  • Wheel/tire not properly balanced
  • Dramatic difference in tire pressures (not likely though)
  • Tire out of round
  • Tire rotation direction is incorrect
__________________
The faster you go, the better it feels

Last edited by ESC OFF; 12-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
ESC OFF is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #284
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Could be any of the following related to tires/wheels assuming you had no shake prior to putting winters on:
  • Loose wheel bolt (always double check the bolt tightness after a 5 or 10 minute drive after changing wheels)
  • Tire bubble
  • Wheel/tire not properly balanced
  • Dramatic difference in tire pressures (not likely though)
  • Tire out of round
  • Tire rotation direction is incorrect
  • Loose wheel bolt (always double check the bolt tightness after a 5 or 10 minute drive after changing wheels)
I checked that after 10 mins drive

  • Tire bubble
I checked that when I buy the tires

  • Wheel/tire not properly balanced
I saw the stick on weight on each weight

  • Dramatic difference in tire pressures (not likely though)
Within 1psi

  • Tire out of round
dont know

  • Tire rotation direction is incorrect
The arrow is pointing the front of the car, right?
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #285
toni8284
Lieutenant
 
toni8284's Avatar
 
Drives: F10 M5 LCI, VO 1M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Upper Darby, PA

Posts: 458
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [5.00]
What is the psi on 18" dunlop winter 3D?

35psi for all?
__________________
2014 F10 M5 Singapore Gray
toni8284 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #286
Em/1
First Lieutenant
 
Em/1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 323
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Fro what it is worth, I have used the Dunlops in the past and don't think they come close to Michelin Alpin PA3 235/40, which I have mounted on (cheap!) Sport Edition A7 18X8. For winter driving, see no problem using these cheap cast wheels. PS I agree with above that says can drive summer tires on dry roads, but no question you lose a lot of traxn--1st discovered with my hotted up RX7 when went sideways in 3rd just gassing it on dry COLD pavement with old PS1's.
Em/1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST