BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #1
jozeff
Private First Class
7
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

RenaultSport Megane 250?

Has anyone driven one? And what are your thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
BBK
Banned
45
Rep
3,078
Posts

 
Drives: A boring one...
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [2.88]
Haven't driven one yet... been meaning to though! They look great, and by all reports are the next best thing to a mini. Only bigger.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Alpine*'s Avatar
Australia
67
Rep
3,327
Posts

 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Shame we miss out on the R26.R here in Aus, wow that was a fun car to drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 08:40 PM   #4
ol'mate
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

I drove one a month ago, right after I sold my Megane R26
They are a great drive especially with the LSD up front and Recaros look killer, but its just a shame the interior just dosen't quite cut the mustard, for me. Just feels a bit to plastic and ordinary it needs Golf Gti fit and finish.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 06:27 AM   #5
Tit
...
Tit's Avatar
Australia
3
Rep
195
Posts

 
Drives: 135i // R56JCW
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I drove the Megane RS250 Cup Trophee a few months ago. It was a great drive! It had all of the essentials - nice manual gearbox, firm, communicative steering, a nice power-curve and it handled fantastically. It's not as ridiculous-looking as the previous megane either.

It seems to be getting a good wrap in the car-mags as well...I know Wheels mag loved it...

The tech seems to be a generation behind what BMW and some of the other German and Japanese brands are offering. It has a live trailing-arm rear axle, simple-2.0 turbo, manual only and no nav option etc. It sounds average, but the package is an excellent drive. I didn't mind the interior either. Also, the Recaro CS seats are awesome, no matter what car they are in....

One thing I noticed was that the most expensive version was about $55k on the road. Not too bad for the money.

Ultimately for me, I made the judgement that I'd rather spend the $11k extra on a well-specced 123d coupe (which I'm still waiting for). Better interior, better build quality, more advanced tech, better residuals, plus options I want - such as nav. I'm also a fan of German cars, so the Megane wasn't enough to bring me across to a French brand - it would have to be a pretty amazing car to pull that off!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
banglemangle
Lieutenant
Azerbaijan
8
Rep
577
Posts

 
Drives: bmw135
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere on the East Coast of Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Haven't driven one yet... been meaning to though! They look great, and by all reports are the next best thing to a mini. Only bigger.
Tallest Dwarf?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tit View Post
I drove the Megane RS250 Cup Trophee a few months ago. It was a great drive! It had all of the essentials - nice manual gearbox, firm, communicative steering, a nice power-curve and it handled fantastically. It's not as ridiculous-looking as the previous megane either.

It seems to be getting a good wrap in the car-mags as well...I know Wheels mag loved it...

The tech seems to be a generation behind what BMW and some of the other German and Japanese brands are offering. It has a live trailing-arm rear axle, simple-2.0 turbo, manual only and no nav option etc. It sounds average, but the package is an excellent drive. I didn't mind the interior either. Also, the Recaro CS seats are awesome, no matter what car they are in....

One thing I noticed was that the most expensive version was about $55k on the road. Not too bad for the money.

Ultimately for me, I made the judgement that I'd rather spend the $11k extra on a well-specced 123d coupe (which I'm still waiting for). Better interior, better build quality, more advanced tech, better residuals, plus options I want - such as nav. I'm also a fan of German cars, so the Megane wasn't enough to bring me across to a French brand - it would have to be a pretty amazing car to pull that off!
It's actually quite a bit faster than a Focus RS around a track (which I believe was a Wheels test), which is significantly more expensive, has a lot more power and SUPPOSEDLY more tech.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #8
aus135i
Captain
aus135i's Avatar
Australia
8
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SYD

iTrader: (0)

hahaah this is my current car... its got nothing on the 135i (stock vs stock) on the highway... however on the track this thing is an animal!!!(very less body roll) now compare that to the 135i, well enough said... around EC it should be at least a few sec faster then the 135

pro
looks alot better then the last gen
19" 235 on all fours (cup trophee)
handling (yes i know its front wheel drive)
5 maps to choose from on the fly
those seats =)
hardly any on the road

con
#!@#ing rubbish spkers!!!!!!! RUBBISH
tire noise
steering is very light
manual only
not enough POWER!
front wheel drive.. lol
__________________
GONE 135i,E83X3,S1000RR,Megane RS250,M135i,F25X3
NOW F15X5,Panigale S
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #9
Honny
Captain
Honny's Avatar
12
Rep
775
Posts

 
Drives: Something
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

Big fan of this car actually, I believe its the best balanced FF car available on the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Jeef Beef's Avatar
Australia
44
Rep
3,089
Posts

 
Drives: a sleeper
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
hahaah this is my current car... its got nothing on the 135i (stock vs stock) on the highway... however on the track this thing is an animal!!!(very less body roll) now compare that to the 135i, well enough said... around EC it should be at least a few sec faster then the 135

pro
looks alot better then the last gen
19" 235 on all fours (cup trophee)
handling (yes i know its front wheel drive)
5 maps to choose from on the fly
those seats =)
hardly any on the road

con
#!@#ing rubbish spkers!!!!!!! RUBBISH
tire noise
steering is very light
manual only
not enough POWER!
front wheel drive.. lol
Wow you got a Megane mate? Gotta show us your new ride next time!

A 135i with coilovers and tyres should smash the Renault around the track, yours should've had no problem.
__________________

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 01:19 AM   #11
Guran
Captain
Guran's Avatar
Australia
12
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: 08 135i Coupe
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wollongong, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
hahaah this is my current car... its got nothing on the 135i (stock vs stock) on the highway... however on the track this thing is an animal!!!(very less body roll) now compare that to the 135i, well enough said... around EC it should be at least a few sec faster then the 135
Not so sure about that. Motor magazine lapped Wakefield Park in 1:09.9 in a 135i Coupe (Sep 2008) and 1:11.2 in a Megane RS 250 Cup (Dec 2010). Wakefield is a track that rewards high power/weight (Eastern Creek even more so), and the 135i out-punches the RS 250 to the tune of 152kW/t vs 133kW/t.
__________________
08 BMW 135i Sport Coupe | Manual | Sparkling Graphite | Coral Red Boston Leather | 10 Speaker Hi Fi
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
gazz
///Mbassador
gazz's Avatar
Australia
10
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: The horse I fell off
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Gold Coast Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honny View Post
Big fan of this car actually, I believe its the best balanced FF car available on the market.
I know it's not a current model but have you ever tried an Integra type R? The original DC2. You're hard pressed to tell it's a fronter.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #13
qship
Disillusioned bourgeois capitalist pig!
qship's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
486
Posts

 
Drives: Blue
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Malbin, Ozstralia

iTrader: (0)

A very good and fun car. let down slightly by the interior and the stupidly small and high boot access.
__________________
You can lead a fool to knowledge but you cannot make him think!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
ol'mate
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

They just broke a fwd record at the Ring again in the last few days, in the latest Trophy Version which has 265hp.
The time was 8.07 bloody impressive!!

Last edited by ol'mate; 06-19-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Rivenscyr
Captain
Australia
13
Rep
959
Posts

 
Drives: muzza-tastic cruiser
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: george st

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
I know it's not a current model but have you ever tried an Integra type R? The original DC2. You're hard pressed to tell it's a fronter.
the classic rice rocket, hard to find a good one a P plater hasn't thrashed/crashed/converted into rice cooker
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
jozeff
Private First Class
7
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 130i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
hahaah this is my current car... its got nothing on the 135i (stock vs stock) on the highway... however on the track this thing is an animal!!!(very less body roll) now compare that to the 135i, well enough said... around EC it should be at least a few sec faster then the 135

pro
looks alot better then the last gen
19" 235 on all fours (cup trophee)
handling (yes i know its front wheel drive)
5 maps to choose from on the fly
those seats =)
hardly any on the road

con
#!@#ing rubbish spkers!!!!!!! RUBBISH
tire noise
steering is very light
manual only
not enough POWER!
front wheel drive.. lol
Mate, how are you finding the Meg 250 almost a year later? Any issues? I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my 130i to a Megane 250/265. I dunno i respect the 130i.... but i dont love it. Everytime i see one of those 250s, i sigh and think back to my Clio 172 days. Sure it wasnt the best built but i loved it to death.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Seen these on the track... most impressive!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2012, 08:33 PM   #18
woosh
Colonel
woosh's Avatar
Australia
34
Rep
2,240
Posts

 
Drives: Canyonero SUV
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
Mate, how are you finding the Meg 250 almost a year later? Any issues? I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my 130i to a Megane 250/265. I dunno i respect the 130i.... but i dont love it. Everytime i see one of those 250s, i sigh and think back to my Clio 172 days. Sure it wasnt the best built but i loved it to death.
I asked him this question about a month ago. His only gripe was the stock short shifter has still too far of a throw and there aren't any aftermarket SSK's for it (I'm still looking Tim!). He praised the chassis stability higher than the 135i's, amongst other things..

If you have a 130i, this car would be a step up.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #19
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Alpine*'s Avatar
Australia
67
Rep
3,327
Posts

 
Drives: CLK63 Black
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

We lent the little 8:08 to Ausmotive for a run........




http://www.ausmotive.com/2012/12/10/...rophy-808.html
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:19 AM   #20
Lima
vorsprung durch technik
Lima's Avatar
Australia
1
Rep
120
Posts

 
Drives: MY10 Audi S3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canberra, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Thanks John.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:50 AM   #21
aus135i
Captain
aus135i's Avatar
Australia
8
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SYD

iTrader: (0)

yea what woosh said... =P
__________________
GONE 135i,E83X3,S1000RR,Megane RS250,M135i,F25X3
NOW F15X5,Panigale S
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #22
Convert
Private First Class
1
Rep
175
Posts

 
Drives: sans AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

I didn't know you got one John, did you cancel the Mini order?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST