BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-27-2014, 02:44 AM   #1
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Cobb advice

hey fellas,

I bought a 2nd hand CObb V2 from the US, I paid for it on Sat 23rd and it just got delivered to my door! That has to be a record!

Is there anything I need to do on my PC does it need updating or anything?

Cant wait to install the tune!!!!!!!

Cheers

PS I will be getting a PTF tune.
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #2
1MOz
Captain
 
1MOz's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 1M AW
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 620
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
hey fellas,

I bought a 2nd hand CObb V2 from the US, I paid for it on Sat 23rd and it just got delivered to my door! That has to be a record!

Is there anything I need to do on my PC does it need updating or anything?

Cant wait to install the tune!!!!!!!

Cheers

PS I will be getting a PTF tune.
From my memory, go to Cobb website and download, install their AP manager software. Then plug the Cobb AP to your PC using the USB cable, do an update check. If there's one, it should automatically update it for you.

Then go to your car, connect to the OBD and so the map installation.
__________________
1MOz is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 03:05 AM   #3
1BimmerNut
Private First Class
 
1BimmerNut's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i that turned into a 130i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 135
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
hey fellas,

I bought a 2nd hand CObb V2 from the US, I paid for it on Sat 23rd and it just got delivered to my door! That has to be a record!

Is there anything I need to do on my PC does it need updating or anything?

Cant wait to install the tune!!!!!!!

Cheers

PS I will be getting a PTF tune.
Suss out the maps prior to install on your PC/mac easier to read than on hand held
1BimmerNut is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Well I got the unit out and plugged it in and the screen is fucked I can hardly read it. Well that was good money down the drain. I cant find out my ecu so I dont know what maps to download from cobb and I can hardly upload files if i dont know what they are. not happy.
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Well I squinted in the dark and managed to upload a Stg1 ST Aggressive IJE0S v401 map and after 30 mins of me sweating it read the ecu and took the tune and the car started. Whew! Looks like my ecu is IJEOS and it appears the cobb has automatically seen this and presented the files available? Unless this is not the case and its co-incidence the previous owner also had this ecu?

Too late to test drive tonight so I will go for a country spin in the morning and report back my impressions.
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Hey guys, Can someone please advise if I want to change the tune to a stock one for when the mrs drives, is it quicker to pick the oem one on the cobb or unmarry it from the car (which I assume puts my original file back)?
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,166
iTrader: (2)

The Cobb automatically detects your ECU version and will display the appropriate maps that are already preloaded onto the Cobb.

If you don't want your mrs running around with it tuned then upload the stage 0 map. Takes about 90 seconds each way. If you unmarry it then you're looking at a 30 minute process to reinstall it each time.
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #8
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,855
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i View Post
Well I got the unit out and plugged it in and the screen is fucked I can hardly read it. Well that was good money down the drain. I cant find out my ecu so I dont know what maps to download from cobb and I can hardly upload files if i dont know what they are. not happy.
if you send it back to cobb i'm pretty sure they do free or so cheap it may as well be free repairs of that sort.
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
7smurfs
First Lieutenant
 
7smurfs's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Let your missus drive it tuned i say!
7smurfs is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Let your missus drive it tuned i say!
Ha! Maybe if it was my first wife but I like this one! Its mainly when you sink the boot in you notice the difference. And holy crap what a difference! It pulls so hard now, almost too aggressive I would say. Now I can see why people get ptf to tweak it. Also good to get someone to look at logs to make sure everything is looking ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
if you send it back to cobb i'm pretty sure they do free or so cheap it may as well be free repairs of that sort.
You're right. Cobb have said $25 plus return postage to fix the screen, what a top bunch of blokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
The Cobb automatically detects your ECU version and will display the appropriate maps that are already preloaded onto the Cobb.

If you don't want your mrs running around with it tuned then upload the stage 0 map. Takes about 90 seconds each way. If you unmarry it then you're looking at a 30 minute process to reinstall it each time.
Thanks froop. Will help when I can actually see the screen!


Man Im lovin this power, its addictive.
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #11
flinchy
Colonel
 
Drives: 130i
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: QLD, Australia

Posts: 2,855
iTrader: (0)

agreed!

swapping kirst 's back to stock was so.. bland, put your foot down and nothingnothingnothingnotmuuuuchhhhh (albeit much much smoother lol)

back to being tuned and so many more whoosh noises!

are you finding it's a bit jerky coming on boost in low gears?
flinchy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      08-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #12
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,166
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thezone135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Let your missus drive it tuned i say!
Ha! Maybe if it was my first wife but I like this one! Its mainly when you sink the boot in you notice the difference. And holy crap what a difference! It pulls so hard now, almost too aggressive I would say. Now I can see why people get ptf to tweak it. Also good to get someone to look at logs to make sure everything is looking ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
if you send it back to cobb i'm pretty sure they do free or so cheap it may as well be free repairs of that sort.
You're right. Cobb have said $25 plus return postage to fix the screen, what a top bunch of blokes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
The Cobb automatically detects your ECU version and will display the appropriate maps that are already preloaded onto the Cobb.

If you don't want your mrs running around with it tuned then upload the stage 0 map. Takes about 90 seconds each way. If you unmarry it then you're looking at a 30 minute process to reinstall it each time.
Thanks froop. Will help when I can actually see the screen!


Man Im lovin this power, its addictive.
Wait til you try the E30 Race map. That shit hauls ass like you wouldn't believe.
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      08-29-2014, 03:09 AM   #13
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

are you finding it's a bit jerky coming on boost in low gears?
No its actually pretty smooth until you really give it beans and it sweeps past about 4000 and then yes its does feel a bit jerky as it pulls too red line, but it pulls really hard. I wonder if there's some safety parameters being challenged or if its just that its a generic tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Wait til you try the E30 Race map. That shit hauls ass like you wouldn't believe.
I really cant imagine needing more power! The again I said that when I bought it.

I cant believe how much power this thing can generate with 4 cats in the pipeline!
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
thezone135i
Private First Class
 
Drives: 135i Coupe N54 Steptronic
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Melbourne

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

Just an update on this thread. I sent my cobb v2 unit to Cobb HQ in the US and they fixed it for $25 US plus shipping and it was back on my door step in less than 10 days! These guys are really on the ball. Excellent and realistically priced service. And the guy I bough it from on this forum CatsPajamas even agreed to pay for half! I love this forum and this car!
thezone135i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:47 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST