E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Nitpicking the E90

10-07-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Nitpicking the E90

I got my 2006 330i (Premium Package, leather/wood interior) last week, and I love the car. But there are a few (minor) gripes I have:

1) BMW gives you this nice leather(ette?) folder for the 2.5 tons of manuals. But neither the holder, nor the manuals without the holder, fit into the glove box! Sounds stupid, but they also don't fit in the door. Anyone else have this problem or a good solution?

2) The next/prev track button on the steering wheel in random mode, goes to the next track/previous track on the CD. It should instead perform like EVERY OTHER next/prev when on shuffle: Randomize forward, remember backward.

3) It would be nice if there was a mute button on the steering wheel controls for those of us with a non-paired phone. Perhaps if the phone button would work as a mute if there is no phone paired.

4) When the radio is in list-mode with an MP3 CD, it would be nice if the list auto-updated as the tracks moved instead of having to hit a button for 'current'.

5) I'm experiencing a lot of skipping on an MP3 CD in the stereo in the 'middle' tracks. Not sure if this is me or the stereo. Will do more testing and investigation.

6) The lowest setting on the automatic moisture-sensitive wipers isn't low enough. It still wipes away the mist before it really needs to. I'm a wiper minimalist, wish it went a little lower.

Anyone know of a way to report these to BMW so I can help make next year's model just a little bit better? Afterall, the devil's in the details.

On the plus side, silly little things I've noticed:

1) The mirrors seem to be vibration dampened. No matter how loud I've turned up the bass and stereo, I've noticed none of the beat-shimmying that I've seen in every other car. Granted, I've not taken the volume past tolerable levels... but then again, that'd be a dumb test.

2) I LOVE the tuck-away rear-view mirrors. I've taken to always tucking them away any time I park on the street or in a lot. I've lost 3 mirrors over the last 16 years, nice not to have to worry about it this time.

3) The Xenon headlights are awesome. I didn't think that lights that moved into the turn would be that big of a deal, but holycow does it rock.
      10-07-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
1) I keep mine in the truck (where the compartment is)

3) If you have the multifunction buttons, you can set one of them as the mute button. It's pretty easy to do it with iDrive

To add it to the list.

I don't like where the mirror buttons are placed.

PS. Welcome to E90POST! Good thread!
      10-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

1) Dont keep them in the car

6) For safety
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

1) I'm probably going to have to put the manuals in the trunk. Why on earth would I not keep them in the car? Seems silly not to at least put the owner's manual in the car. Plus 1/2 of the crap they give you (most I threw out) is made to stay in the car at all times (the insurance thing, etc...).

3) I don't have iDrive, just the normal premium system. iDrive wasn't worth $2K for me

6) Baloney on safety. When the wipers are going with a nearly-clear windshield it is not a safety issue. I'm not asking for it to be hugely less senstiive, just a touch less, like 1 more setting lower.
      10-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #5
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatnog
Anyone know of a way to report these to BMW so I can help make next year's model just a little bit better? Afterall, the devil's in the details.
Good luck, unless you are the president of BMW, there is little chance you get them changed for next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

6) Baloney on safety. When the wipers are going with a nearly-clear windshield it is not a safety issue. I'm not asking for it to be hugely less senstiive, just a touch less, like 1 more setting lower.
Its a automatic system and they have a legal responcibility that the lowes setting wont ever be unsafe. You should always have your windscreen as clear as possible

Also remember the sensor only sees a tiny little bit right behind the rearview mirror. It will wipe even if there is only one big drop over it and the rest of the window is dry, since it only sees that one small area
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #7
new0rder
Lowlife Republic
Rep
Drives: 06 325XI Monaco Blue

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
is tuck-away rear-view mirrors part of prem package?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2005, 03:23 PM   #8
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
I got my 2006 330i (Premium Package, leather/wood interior) last week, and I love the car. But there are a few (minor) gripes I have:

1) BMW gives you this nice leather(ette?) folder for the 2.5 tons of manuals. But neither the holder, nor the manuals without the holder, fit into the glove box! Sounds stupid, but they also don't fit in the door. Anyone else have this problem or a good solution?
The place for the manual is actually above the toolcase cover in the boot(trunk). There isn't a need to have any of it in the car (in my oppinion).

For the first few weeks, if you want, you can keep just the owners handbook in the seat back nets for quick referencing... but for the long run - above the toolcase is where it's meant to be!

Quote:
2) The next/prev track button on the steering wheel in random mode, goes to the next track/previous track on the CD. It should instead perform like EVERY OTHER next/prev when on shuffle: Randomize forward, remember backward.
This is just a problem, no idea why they would do this! Prob just a software bug...(maybe there will be fix sometime)

Quote:
3) It would be nice if there was a mute button on the steering wheel controls for those of us with a non-paired phone. Perhaps if the phone button would work as a mute if there is no phone paired.
There is an on/off button on the left side of the radio. It's not ideal, but it's there! They can't have everything on the steeringwheel, and I for one wouldn't want a mute button.

You'll find if you hold the volume down button, the volume goes soft very qickly.

Quote:
4) When the radio is in list-mode with an MP3 CD, it would be nice if the list auto-updated as the tracks moved instead of having to hit a button for 'current'.
Also irritates me, I usually just push "current" and then "track" at it displays the song name. I don't know why it doesn't update the current song...

Quote:
5) I'm experiencing a lot of skipping on an MP3 CD in the stereo in the 'm`iddle' tracks. Not sure if this is me or the stereo. Will do more testing and investigation.
I am also experiencing skipping on the mp3 cd's. Some of them were a bit dirty and a good clean sorted the problem out. I think the MP3 cd's are very sensitive to dirt and smudges.

Quote:
6) The lowest setting on the automatic moisture-sensitive wipers isn't low `enough. It still wipes away the mist before it really needs to. I'm a wiper minimalist, wish it went a little lower.
I had the same problem with the light sensor. I found a dealership who knew how to turn the sensitivity down. It hasn't rained much here, but so far my rain sensor is set ok!

I'm sure you can get it set slightly less sensitive if you can find a dealer to do it. Once again the US law system might make it impossibly, BMW might be affraid you'll sue them cause there was water in your vision and you had an accident!

Nothing can be perfect for everyone. You like things I don't, I want things you don't and if they make a car totally customizable (like Jeremy Clarkson bashing the M5's ability to set the "follow me home" light function to infinate settings) everyone will say it's way too complicated and they want a car they can just drive, not one that needs set-up.

ADAPT and COMPRIMISE! Take it on some twisties, and you'll forget everything you hate...

Now...for that ///M button (I wish!!! )
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 01:16 PM   #9
e90driver
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 325i, 08 328xi

Manuals in glovebox

The manuals do fit in the glovebox! It took me 15 minutes to figure it out and now i feel so stupid. put it in the exact center and push back, it fits in a nice indent. If you can't get it in, take everything out and poke your flashlight in there and you will see an indent in the back of the glovebox that exactly accomidates the manuals and folder. It should be bigger but I guess with the cupholders above and the fusebox behind, room have to give somewhere.

06 325i. IT'S HERE!- 08 E92 328xi, Premium, Auto, Cold- Montego Blue
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
good thread -

Manuals fit in the nice square compartment (to the right) in the trunk. I put mine in the storage area as well. Leaves room for stuff in the dash - sunglasses/cds etc.

My nitpicks:

#1 - Side mirrors are small. I moved them further out than normal, but still do a sideglance befrore turning due to the mistrust in the size of the mirrors.

#2 When iDrive is on another screen - map, satellite, etc, and the phone/bluetooth rings, it changes the screen to the communications. Once call has ended, I'd like the screen to revert back automatically. Can this be done/programmed.

#3 iDrive & Voice commands needs to be quicker. Slow in response, esp right after start up. I feel like I'm speaking to a petulant kid.

Nice things about the car (besides the overall handling, power, agility)

#1 Blue tooth is the best thing since sliced bread. Sound is incredibly clear.

#2 Side handle lights & as mentiong in a previous post - the adaptive headlights. More usefull than I thought they would be.

#3 Hill Brake feature
      10-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #11
kuthair
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Sedan 6MT

#6 - If you have IDrive, I believe you can change the sensitivity. I think I saw that in the online manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS
#2 When iDrive is on another screen - map, satellite, etc, and the phone/bluetooth rings, it changes the screen to the communications. Once call has ended, I'd like the screen to revert back automatically. Can this be done/programmed.
When i recieve a call and hang up, the screen does revert back. it only doesnt revert back when i am the one making the call.
      10-11-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Meatnog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I didn't get the iDrive, wasn't worth it to me.
      10-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #14
poldim
Vroom Vrrooooom
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i Sedan  [0.00]
2003 GSX-R 600  [0.00]
Quote:

I kept it in the car for the first week. Now its sitting on a shelf.
Quote:
This is extremely irritating. I burn MP3 CD's and dont necessarily want to listen all of one persons tracks, but then when a bad one comes along you are screwed and have to turn on random again.

I would also like if it displayed the ID3 info rather than what looks to be a MS-DOS directory inquiry.

Quote:
As someone mentioned, the on dash volume knob acts as pause/mute depending on source.

Quote:
AGREED.

Quote:
5) I'm experiencing a lot of skipping on an MP3 CD in the stereo in the 'middle' tracks. Not sure if this is me or the stereo. Will do more testing and investigation.
I have sort of noticed this, but am not sure if its my music or not.

Quote:
6) The lowest setting on the automatic moisture-sensitive wipers isn't low enough. It still wipes away the mist before it really needs to. I'm a wiper minimalist, wish it went a little lower.
Not an issue, if it is, dont use auto wipe feature. RainX > Auto Wipe

1) I dont like the warning screen. I can sort of understand why its there (legal issues), but you can make the argument that it should do it once a day per key fob and always on spare/valet key.

2) I ran out yesterday to close the windows when it started rainning. If the rain sensor can turn on the wipers, it should be able to close the windows since they took that feature away from the key fob.

3) Multiple people have commented on how far the window controls are on the door, they could be a bit closer to the rear of the car.

4) The trunk hidden storage compartment should have a latch for clipping onto the upper part of the trunk and staying open.

5) I would like iDrive to remember what screen you were on prior to previous ignition shutdown and then return to it upon next start.
Appreciate 0